Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2011, 11:24 AM

68 posts, read 395,867 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering a move to Berkeley Heights, NJ. I understand that a large percentage of the population is Catholic. My wife and I are not religious and do not belong to a church. We don't have any problem with people who are religious, but I wanted to get some input as to how big a part of the culture religion is in Berkeley Heights. We have a young son and I wouldn't want him to feel left out if the majority of the kids are very religious.

My cousins, who live in an "unnamed town in Long Island", had felt somewhat left out when they were growing up. The majority of their town was Catholic and they weren't religious at all. That's not to say they didn't make great friends there, but on a certain level, they always felt a little out of place.

Again, I want to stress that I have no problem with people of any denomination. My objective is to get a feel for how prevalent religion is in Berkeley Heights. It would be great to hear from some current / former residents who went through the school system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 11:36 AM

23,539 posts, read 17,216,356 times
Time to close another thread

Old 06-08-2011, 11:56 AM

Kracer, I'm not trying to offend anyone. I just wanted to get some honest feedback. I'm sorry if you took my question the wrong way.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:41 PM

453 posts, read 1,741,975 times
I lived there for five years and can honestly say that the thought ever occurred to me. We only moved because our first house happened to be in Madison, but I always liked the town, and never found religion or ethnic questions to be an issue.

Sorry, can't comment on the schools, but my older neighbors never had concerns about any of that.

Rhys

Old 06-08-2011, 12:59 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,036,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramrodbenchwood View Post
My wife and I are considering a move to Berkeley Heights, NJ. I understand that a large percentage of the population is Catholic. My wife and I are not religious and do not belong to a church. We don't have any problem with people who are religious, but I wanted to get some input as to how big a part of the culture religion is in Berkeley Heights. We have a young son and I wouldn't want him to feel left out if the majority of the kids are very religious.

My cousins, who live in an "unnamed town in Long Island", had felt somewhat left out when they were growing up. The majority of their town was Catholic and they weren't religious at all. That's not to say they didn't make great friends there, but on a certain level, they always felt a little out of place.

Again, I want to stress that I have no problem with people of any denomination. My objective is to get a feel for how prevalent religion is in Berkeley Heights. It would be great to hear from some current / former residents who went through the school system.
I wouldn't worry about it, and I don't think anyone in Berkeley Heights will really care one way or the other. Just live your live ethically and morally, which, as you must know, one can do with or without religion, and you will be welcomed by all. Feeling "left out" is a personal issue. You will never be "left out" if you "do unto others", give your neighbors a helping hand when they need it, be of good humor, and be an asset to the community rather than a liability.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:03 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,418,673 times
Like most towns in this area, people come in all stripes. Some belong to one church or another, some to a temple, some to a mosque, and some to nothing at all. You will form your social group out of those with whom you have something in common, and it can easily be something other than religion.

Don't worry about it.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:25 PM

This is great feedback, thank you for the input. Again, I usually don't put much emphasis on this type of stuff, but after speaking with my cousin about his situation, I figured it couldn't hurt to inquire.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:10 PM

219 posts, read 541,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderling View Post
Like most towns in this area, people come in all stripes. Some belong to one church or another, some to a temple, some to a mosque, and some to nothing at all. You will form your social group out of those with whom you have something in common, and it can easily be something other than religion.

Don't worry about it.
BH is part of the Governor Livingston School system which is a regional high school. I wouldn't worry about being from BH or another town at that time (for your children). Before then, the towns around BH are so squeezed together you might drive out of one before you know it. Consequently, the old timers and 'clicks' you fear are more concerned with finding each other than with others trying to fit in. I've never heard of one religion dominating over the people there as you implied from NY.

As a matter of fact, there was one religion, which turned to being a cult, which was driven out of BH in the past decade or so. So I wouldn't fear about being alienated or pushed toward one group over the other.

um, you are I-Talian, aren't you?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey