Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 09:20 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,707,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcrum View Post
There are a few more issues to consider with the 55+ communities in new jersey. For a state that already pays a lot for taxes, these communities are very attractive to their targets and visually pleasing for other members of the town, which allows property values to rise. I have seen on more than one occasion where town legislators have been embarrassed in hindsight of approving a new project in their town, like apartment complexes (not to say they are bad overall, of course). Also, its an emerging business considering people are living longer on average. Also keep in mind that the baby boomers, overall, were an independent yet revolutionary generation in America, so the idea of assisted living is something that turns them off. But, a giant, enclosed, new looking neighborhood with all sorts of services and amenities available is much more attractive. That's why this works, and increased values on other houses are why towns agree to it.
You don't think it has anything to do with the fact that towns can meet their low income housing obligation through 55+ communities? Personally, I think that is the biggest reason why towns go this route, especially in growing areas. You can accept low income seniors and satisfy the need versus accepting low income families.

Just about every new development in my area contains zero low income housing as they are all built in conjunction with or alongside 55+ communities that satisfy the requirement. They pretty much go up in concert; one luxury single family, one mixed of middle income single family and townhomes, one 55+ with a large percentage of low income senior housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 09:28 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
shrug. the property i linked has taxes of ~$1500/yr.
The comment wasn't at that house in particular.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:00 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghini.anderson View Post
Hi. So Ive been searching for a house to purchase and I'm constantly coming across 55+ communities. It seems like the only new houses they are building are for these communities and even the older homes I find interest in are also in these communities. Im searching within a 30mi radius around McGuire afb.
I am in my late 20s and I do not want a town home or condo I'm looking specifically for a house. Any suggestions or comments on this?
Same thing happened to me when I was searching online last year, and I finally realized it was that if the price is too good to be true, it's a 55+ community. You may have to up your minimum price range a bit to get clear those out.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
????? places like leisure village and other places in south jersey are cheap by pretty much any standard. <$100K.
My sister just bought one (co-op) at Rossmoor in Monroe for around $79K. 2 BR, 2 Bath, gated, has a pool, golf, etc. There are also condos there, but they wanted something they could pay cash for and then just have the maintenance and taxes to worry about. They aren't concerned about resale value--my BIL said, "At least I never have to worry about moving again--the next move is the cemetery."

He is retired, but my sister is still working and probably will be for some years. Taxes are $2000 and change.

She's very happy there--it isn't for me (I've got a couple of years to hit 55 anyway), but where I live there are kids on bicycles and skateboards outside, and that's kind of nice. I don't think I'd want to live where everyone is over 55, but some people do.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:53 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,700,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My sister just bought one (co-op) at Rossmoor in Monroe for around $79K. 2 BR, 2 Bath, gated, has a pool, golf, etc. There are also condos there, but they wanted something they could pay cash for and then just have the maintenance and taxes to worry about. They aren't concerned about resale value--my BIL said, "At least I never have to worry about moving again--the next move is the cemetery."

He is retired, but my sister is still working and probably will be for some years. Taxes are $2000 and change.

She's very happy there--it isn't for me (I've got a couple of years to hit 55 anyway), but where I live there are kids on bicycles and skateboards outside, and that's kind of nice. I don't think I'd want to live where everyone is over 55, but some people do.
Monroe for $79K? Wow - I realize it's a co-op but that still seems like a good deal.

I mean, that's not a bad deal, especially if you're around family - it's a literally small price to pay. And if you pay cash, the family doesn't have to worry about ponying up money if they happen to be underwater.

I have to laugh when you say it's not for you because you like to being around kids - when my mom moved to one of these communities - I was 19!!!! Livin' with the old people! LOL So not everyone is over 55, but I get what you mean.

I say now it's not for me, but honestly, if buying one of these frees up some retirement bucks so I can travel...well, it may be worth it!

Old 06-07-2011, 01:57 PM

505 posts, read 2,336,208 times
Quote:
Monroe for $79K? Wow - I realize it's a co-op but that still seems like a good deal.

I mean, that's not a bad deal, especially if you're around family - it's a literally small price to pay. And if you pay cash, the family doesn't have to worry about ponying up money if they happen to be underwater.

I have to laugh when you say it's not for you because you like to being around kids - when my mom moved to one of these communities - I was 19!!!! Livin' with the old people! LOL So not everyone is over 55, but I get what you mean.

I say now it's not for me, but honestly, if buying one of these frees up some retirement bucks so I can travel...well, it may be worth it!
You can actually pick up ranch style, semi attached, condos for around 100k now in Monroe. I wish I was age eligible - they're nice!

Old 06-08-2011, 10:10 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,631,008 times
Most of the people buying houses in the 55 plus communities r not buying them as investments. They r buying them 4 the easier lifestyle.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:

And they let you live there? My niece is 22, and my sister told her she'd have to find her own place (she'd moved in with a boyfriend, broke up, and was looking to move back home with mom and dad). There is a two-month limit on allowing someone under 48 to stay there with you (one of the people who lives in a unit has to be 55+, the others can be as young as 48).

They did get a good deal. I mean, the kitchen appliances are 1970's Harvest Gold, but the place is in pretty good shape. The previous owner had died and his son lives out of state and was desperate to get rid of it.

I'm "only" 52, but I live in a small condo, one story, no one over me or under me, have a little fenced-in garden area out back. No front steps. I can get old and decrepit where I am!

Old 06-08-2011, 12:54 PM

592 posts, read 2,188,377 times
I dont get this either, i mean who wants to retire in NEW JERSEY? You stay in NJ and pay the ridiculus high cost of living because of job, schools for the kids, etc.. without much lifestyle benefits. Once you retire why do you want to continue living here and paying those ridiculus cost when you could be in one of thousands other places with much better communities and cheaper cost.

mind...boggles.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:56 PM

505 posts, read 2,336,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post
I dont get this either, i mean who wants to retire in NEW JERSEY? You stay in NJ and pay the ridiculus high cost of living because of job, schools for the kids, etc.. without much lifestyle benefits. Once you retire why do you want to continue living here and paying those ridiculus cost when you could be in one of thousands other places with much better communities and cheaper cost.

mind...boggles.
I guess it depends on what you want out of your retirement - most people end up staying in the area because this is the area that they know and are comfortable with not to mention they have friends and family locally. Nothing worse than moving somewhere else b/c of lower costs etc. and have no one to share it with.

~joey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey