Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 04:32 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,635,939 times

Advertisements

Well, the guy who did it turned himself in:

Breaking News

Suspect surrenders to Mayor

Second suspect in Newark triple slay turns self in to Cory Booker

By CORKY SIEMASZKO

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Thursday, August 9th 2007, 1:04 PM

Jose Carranza, 31, turned himself in on murder charges today. He apparently wanted to surrender himself to Newark Mayor Corey Booker.

Moderator cut: copyrights

Last edited by Yac; 12-07-2007 at 06:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 05:59 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,676,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Please elaborate.
If you want 8 years of hell, 8 years of "my way or the highway", or 8 years of shutting groups out of City Hall, then be my guest.

Oh, yeah, add to that stopping people for no legitimate reason! And I didn't even bring up plungers, 41 shots and outting juvenile records!

Old 08-09-2007, 09:25 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,647,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
That post is so off the wall - I wouldn't even bother using a word like rude. You have a right to be clueless I guess and so do your neighbors. Your ignornance will not help to change anything.

Your focus is on crime when high cost of living is really the problem for your area. You comment on a tragedy to make a point that has nothing to do with the victims or their families. People are not fleeing NJ because of crime. Drug trafficing is a national issue and parts of your state were already a mecca for it. Where can you raise your children? Probably anywhere you please.

Any white male college student warped enough to exploit this tragedy to further post about the unabated development, and general lack of planning in his community deserves criticism.

Like I said- a new LOW on here. And there have been more troll/flame threads on here than on any other forum I have visited on city-data. That is really saying something. If there was a shred of sincerity coming from the OP-his post would focus on empowering people. But he posts about children that don't exist yet and frets over his whitebread hometown and the need to trendy it up. Yep-that is a great way to pay tribute to the victims of a tragedy.

Thanks for another rude, spiteful, hateful post generated by someone with a chip on his shoulder and a personal vendetta to settle. "Trolling, you say?" Really? I beg to differ. I started this thread with every intention of expressing GRIEF for three promising young lives cut short by a senseless act of violence and my outrage that at the time there was absolutely no mention of this tragedy on the NJ state forum. Yes, I then DID want to capitalize upon this terrible calamity as a way to spark outrage and discussion about what can be done to "save Newark" so other young lives aren't snuffed out for no apparent reason. It's not a secret that Newark has a poorer-than-average quality-of-life for a large city, but it's still enigma to me that the majority of the state's population can live within an hour's drive of Newark and honestly not care about incident such as this. Instead, many people go "Ugh. Newark!" and let that be the end of it? Why? We can't allow these three to have died in vain! I was THRILLED to see images on the national news about people storming city hall in mobs to blast city officials for this recent murder spree---if nothing else, these three wonderful young people sparked a fire under the butts of people in Newark to finally give a damn about what was happening in their neighborhoods. If that was me in another life, I'd be camping out at city hall day and night with supporters ever since the race riots to demand solutions to the crime, but it's better that people rise up in disgust later as opposed to never.

Insinuate and infer all that you wish from my replies, but I didn't start discussing Newark's impact upon PA until I was accosted by you rather rudely in another reply, which is when I clarified my position further in regards to PA. Yes, these deaths are senseless and tragic, which is why they need to be kept in the media spotlight so we'll never forget the looks of grief on the faces of friends and family as a testament to the fact that Newark is a city in limbo at this point in time.

If you continue to post replies with rude, cynical, sarcastic tones, I'll continue to rebut in-kind. By the way, a "NEW LOW" would be trolls like YOU (not myself) trying to intentionally descend threads into ARGUMENTS with rude, off-base comments and inferences so that they can be locked and discussion on such important topics will cease.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
Whoaaa!!!!!! Thanxs!!! Way to go
Couldn't have said it better myself
You're one to talk, buddy.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
You don't need to go any further.Stop at Go or Collect $200.00....................
You have got to be kidding me, Are you a Christian?? posting this thread and putting down people?? Since you are and you do all the Churchy things that Churched people do. Read where The Lord says " Depart from me you workers of iniquity I never knew you. Stop playing with God for starters..
Apparently you are illiterate, as I did make reference in the aforementioned reply to being very active in my own "church youth group," which implies (along with my profile) that I am indeed a Christian. By the way, if anyone was "putting down people," it was Onizuka, whose inflammatory remarks I was responding to with my so-called "putting down people." I am quite well-versed with the Bible, thank you very much. I'm what you might call a Liberal Christian who believes that there are errors in the text, especially when it references slavery and homosexuality.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,278 times
Gang initiations usually require violent acts on random people. The key word is RANDOM - WHICH YOU HAVE A PROBLEM ACCEPTING. I am not from NJ, but I'm familiar with the concept. We have gangs and victims in NYC too. Sometimes answers are senseless and without reason and you have to accept them for what they are. My heart goes out to the family of the victims in NJ. Going to a school yard to hang out with your friends is an innocent thing to do, and suggesting they may have done something, been previously involved in something or knew someone who did something is just plain WRONG!! The devil is alive and well! We have victims raped, robbed, disfigured and killed everyday. The "why they were killed" is not as important as the fact that they were killed and the "Who did it?". The killing was inexcusable, tragic and even after the killers are caught and punished, the victims' loved one will always have a hole in their hearts.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:00 PM

Wow! After reading offensive post after offensive post directed at myself, DaSkorpion, LoveMiiorHateMii, and others, it's no secret why so few actually try to step up to the plate to bring issues such as this to light. This thread was not intended to descend into petty name-calling, racism, and resonance to a long-buried former conflict back in December 2006 on this forum. I initiated this thread with every hope and dream that it would sadden people to learn about three lives cut short and anger people in NJ to take action against your inept officials instead of just sitting on City-Data kvetching about how they tax you to death. Instead, all some of us got was insults in return.

This so-called "troll" is through with this petty garbage and is hoping that we can now start FRESH with new CONSTRUCTIVE dialogue regarding what can be done to fix Newark. Telling me "It's irreparable; you don't know what you're talking about so shut up," isn't going to work. As long as those of you in NJ are continuing to destroy open space all over the Tri-State area to "escape" existing neighborhoods, only to create these SAME problems in your new areas that you fled from, I'll continue to be a critic. When your great-grandchildren have to visit NJ's only surviving tree in a museum along the Delaware River, are you going to tell them that NJ was a once-beautiful state that was destroyed by urban sprawl in the early-2000s because adults coudn't act responsibly by reinvigorating urbanized areas in favor of failing at creating "new" communities? When they ask you why trees are coming down in Sussex County to make way for a new planned community when block after block of brownfield sites sit decaying in Northeastern NJ, what will your responses all be? "Well, honey, we all decided that Newark was kind of like the lost city of Atlantis and had to be surrendered to lowlives in hopes it would eventually fall into obscurity. We stopped fighting the good fight."

I'll say this AGAIN: "We Can't Keep Running From Our Problems." People who are moving from NJ to PA to escape the crime rate (which IS a primary reason, contrary to what others on this thread have said, as I've talked to ex-NJians living in Monroe County, PA) are now griping about the high crime in Monroe County. Next, they'll move to my area to "escape the crime" only to gripe about the soaring crime rate here. Then, they'll move back to NJ to places like Sparta, Hopatcong, Newton, Hackettstown, etc. and raise the crime rates there as well. Can someone please explain to me why urban sprawl has become the "preferred" solution to dealing with Newark, Camden, The Oranges, etc.?

Old 08-09-2007, 11:03 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,091,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post

This so-called "troll" is through with this petty garbage and is hoping that we can now start FRESH with new CONSTRUCTIVE dialogue regarding what can be done to fix Newark. Telling me "It's irreparable; you don't know what you're talking about so shut up," isn't going to work. As long as those of you in NJ are continuing to destroy open space all over the Tri-State area to "escape" existing neighborhoods, only to create these SAME problems in your new areas that you fled from, I'll continue to be a critic. When your great-grandchildren have to visit NJ's only surviving tree in a museum along the Delaware River, are you going to tell them that NJ was a once-beautiful state that was destroyed by urban sprawl in the early-2000s because adults coudn't act responsibly by reinvigorating urbanized areas in favor of failing at creating "new" communities? When they ask you why trees are coming down in Sussex County to make way for a new planned community when block after block of brownfield sites sit decaying in Northeastern NJ, what will your responses all be? "Well, honey, we all decided that Newark was kind of like the lost city of Atlantis and had to be surrendered to lowlives in hopes it would eventually fall into obscurity. We stopped fighting the good fight."

I'll say this AGAIN: "We Can't Keep Running From Our Problems." People who are moving from NJ to PA to escape the crime rate (which IS a primary reason, contrary to what others on this thread have said, as I've talked to ex-NJians living in Monroe County, PA) are now griping about the high crime in Monroe County. Next, they'll move to my area to "escape the crime" only to gripe about the soaring crime rate here. Then, they'll move back to NJ to places like Sparta, Hopatcong, Newton, Hackettstown, etc. and raise the crime rates there as well. Can someone please explain to me why urban sprawl has become the "preferred" solution to dealing with Newark, Camden, The Oranges, etc.?

What about people moving out of Philly trying to escape the crime? (and moving out of Pittsburgh)
-There are success stories of NJ cities trying to resurrect themselves i.e. Jersey City (going through a construction boom) gaining population etc.
-People moving out of cities isn't a NJ problem, it is more perhaps a Northeast problem, as people have been climbing out of cities for years.
-To say it is NJ people destroying open space all over the tri-state is very unfair, as if to say it is only this state with the power to build and the people to move only to flee. Philadelphia's population has been declining for years, I ask what your solution for that would be... It is THEN we can apply that to NJ's cities
-The thing is that there is no real 'fix' for hurt and/or dying cities.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:19 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,931,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Yes, I then DID want to capitalize upon this terrible calamity as a way to spark outrage and discussion about what can be done to "save Newark" so other young lives aren't snuffed out for no apparent reason. It's not a secret that Newark has a poorer-than-average quality-of-life for a large city, but it's still enigma to me that the majority of the state's population can live within an hour's drive of Newark and honestly not care about incident such as this. Instead, many people go "Ugh. Newark!" and let that be the end of it? Why? We can't allow these three to have died in vain! I was THRILLED to see images on the national news about people storming city hall in mobs to blast city officials for this recent murder spree---if nothing else, these three wonderful young people sparked a fire under the butts of people in Newark to finally give a damn about what was happening in their neighborhoods. If that was me in another life, I'd be camping out at city hall day and night with supporters ever since the race riots to demand solutions to the crime, but it's better that people rise up in disgust later as opposed to never.
There is nothing personal here. OP was in the wrong and I stated so. Thread after thread on this forum is started with an Urban/Newark theme and again and again it results in race baiting, ignorant diatribes and trolling. That might not be the intent but it is usually the result. I don't believe that grief was the motivation to start this thread. Anyone with any factual information would not bother posting here. It is too embarrassing. My response to this thread was not tongue in cheek. I was genuinely disgusted this time.

How exciting that you were thrilled to see those images on television. What makes you think that the people there don't have sit-ins and protests throughout the year? People are finally starting to give a damn about their neighborhoods? What makes you think they don't give a damn? You say you have never lived in NJ much less visited Newark yet you seem to perpetuate the idea that the citizens of this community do nothing and could care less. A dangerous stereotype and yet you promote it in post after post. You have no clue what goes on there and no idea what people are actually up against. I don't see you posting anything about Philly? Is it because you have no idea what goes on there either? You say you were born in a different place. Is that the excuse?

You say your goal is to spark some kind of serious discussion here. That would be great. Your efforts are not producing anything close to that. Just the opposite. When will the lightbulb go on?...You say you wanted to spark outrage? At least it worked on one(me) this time out.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:06 AM

20,349 posts, read 19,941,445 times
Quote:
If you want 8 years of hell, 8 years of "my way or the highway", or 8 years of shutting groups out of City Hall, then be my guest.
Eight years of hell for who? You? All New Yorkers? I know artists who like to mix Christian symbols with bodily secretions and show them at taxpayer funded institutions were inimpressed with his lack of worldliness and lack of good taste in art.

Quote:
Oh, yeah, add to that stopping people for no legitimate reason! And I didn't even bring up plungers, 41 shots and outting juvenile records
I'm not a NYer so I'm not involved with things NY but didn't crime go down under his watch?

Plungers? He supported that atrocity? I didn't know.

You could always start a "Draft Dinkins" movement if you long for the good old days I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey