Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 08:40 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,411,876 times

Advertisements

did anyone receive these in the mail yet? i got mine, and it's slightly shocking. i know there's a few folks on here from west orange, wondering if i might be able to chat with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 07:27 AM

26 posts, read 71,840 times
What is this regarding? Did the taxes increase more that you were expecting? I know the new tax rate is 3.445 and i should be moving to West Orange in a couple of weeks and i hope i don't get any surprises.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:44 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,702,762 times
what's shocking? the rates should've been published before you got notice.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:08 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,632,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
did anyone receive these in the mail yet? i got mine, and it's slightly shocking. i know there's a few folks on here from west orange, wondering if i might be able to chat with you.
With all the cuts that Christie is touting on the national talk and news shows u probably should see a 20-25 percent reduction in your property taxes. Thats the trickle down effect. NOT. When they just about eliminate town and school aid to the suburban towns this is what happens. It looks good for the supporters but not good on most of our property tax bills.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:14 AM

my new property taxes went up more than i was expecting. i got the reassessment figures in mid march. i don't recall getting notice on the new rates, but recently received my 2011 Final/2012 Estimated tax bill. i knew my taxes would go up, as a result of the "realigning" of the town, but never expected them to go up by the amount that they did.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:28 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,632,212 times
Default but never expected them to go up by the amount that they did

I guess that 2% cap thingy has a couple of holes in it. He didn't mention that on the talk shows.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I guess that 2% cap thingy has a couple of holes in it. He didn't mention that on the talk shows.
the 2% cap doesn't apply to re-alignment, i would assume. our town hasn't been assesed in 2 decades, so the property taxes on new homes were probably high, with older homes probably low. bringing it to a more equitable level makes sense. but i just don't understand my numbers fully at the moment.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:13 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,009,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
They forgot to mention that it's 2%, but does not include all the things that go up in cost each year like continued pandering to public workers in the form of raises, continued increases in pension expense due to lack of contributions and poor market returns, continued increases in healthcare expenses and continued hiring of new extremely well paid ah um, public servants. . Keep building those parks in Essex Cty, pretty soon you won't need landscapers to take care of it, the citizens will do it for free as they forage for food.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:54 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,702,762 times
oh...you got reassessed - didn't know that. that's not subject to the 2% cap.

if you feel your assessed value is too high, you can fight it. when you got your notice in march, did you think your new value was too much? usually there's a window where you can go and ask about how the assessment was reached, but you're probably too late now. if you want to fight, you'll need to go through the whole process (and pay $$$$), and it won't be until next april or so.

also, if you got an estimated bill, they don't know the final rate yet (or they do and just aren't releasing it), so there's a (albeit small) chance your yearly amount will go down.

i feel for you - we got hit with the same thing - our taxes rose 20% (and subsequently went down when another reassessment was done after the RE bust).

Old 07-07-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
oh...you got reassessed - didn't know that. that's not subject to the 2% cap.

if you feel your assessed value is too high, you can fight it. when you got your notice in march, did you think your new value was too much? usually there's a window where you can go and ask about how the assessment was reached, but you're probably too late now. if you want to fight, you'll need to go through the whole process (and pay $$$$), and it won't be until next april or so.

also, if you got an estimated bill, they don't know the final rate yet (or they do and just aren't releasing it), so there's a (albeit small) chance your yearly amount will go down.

i feel for you - we got hit with the same thing - our taxes rose 20% (and subsequently went down when another reassessment was done after the RE bust).
the reassessed value didn't look too bad at the time, but it was possibly a bit high. i'm going to compare other comps and their assessments this weekend. i didn't challenge the assessment, because it didn't seem wrong. but my annual tax bill, if this estimate is correct, went up almost 35%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey