Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 02:08 PM

333 posts, read 1,991,268 times

Advertisements

I gotta say there are a lot here that really don't like NJ. I know it's expensive and corrupt. I have seen people come back to this board and tell everyone how much they hate NJ..and they have already moved some place else..but HAD to come back to still say NJ stinks. Others complain about NJ and they don't even live there!

As someone who is moving into the area...it is very disheartening. I am just here to gather information on schools, areas that are a good place to raise a family, crime , etc. What frustrates me is when I post, I get a ton of private messages telling me not to come NJ and how much I will hate it. I have pm's telling me I am making the worst choice for my family. We are getting transferred to Philadelphia...I have to find a place to live. Pa isn't as cheap as everyone says it is. I can get more house even with the unbelieveable taxes in South NJ.

It's just hard for people who come on here to find out info and they are told how horrible the place they are about to move too is.

If you go to other boards...they all complain about the same thing. You should see some of the Maryland board<where I am living now> . It is the same complaints of how expensive it is. I have seen the Rhode Island board where they are talking about crime and corruption too.

Sorry, I just needed to vent a bit just because it has been so frustrating. But thank you to the people who are on this board who do like to help and share information. There a quite a bit of you and I have learned some things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 02:25 PM

1,309 posts, read 4,190,122 times
Bravo! I don't live in NJ either (yet), but I know first-hand that of any place I have lived, each one has its pros & cons. It's not a perfect world!

Old 08-12-2007, 02:31 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,932,708 times
Hey - I'd say there are plenty on this board that love NJ, I'm one of 'em. We have spent the last two years researching where we want to live. We have our own business and can run it from anywhere in the US. We've been all over - FL, NV, TN, NC, SC, VA, WV and extensively researched each of them. In every state there was always someone who told us not to move there. In the end though, nothing compares to NJ. Sure it may be cheaper to live elsewhere but there is a vibe here that you just don't find other places. It's something intangible, that you can only experience, not explain.

Old 08-12-2007, 02:49 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,325,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenne03 View Post
I gotta say there are a lot here that really don't like NJ. I know it's expensive and corrupt. I have seen people come back to this board and tell everyone how much they hate NJ..and they have already moved some place else..but HAD to come back to still say NJ stinks. Others complain about NJ and they don't even live there!

As someone who is moving into the area...it is very disheartening. I am just here to gather information on schools, areas that are a good place to raise a family, crime , etc. What frustrates me is when I post, I get a ton of private messages telling me not to come NJ and how much I will hate it. I have pm's telling me I am making the worst choice for my family. We are getting transferred to Philadelphia...I have to find a place to live. Pa isn't as cheap as everyone says it is. I can get more house even with the unbelieveable taxes in South NJ.

It's just hard for people who come on here to find out info and they are told how horrible the place they are about to move too is.

If you go to other boards...they all complain about the same thing. You should see some of the Maryland board<where I am living now> . It is the same complaints of how expensive it is. I have seen the Rhode Island board where they are talking about crime and corruption too.

Sorry, I just needed to vent a bit just because it has been so frustrating. But thank you to the people who are on this board who do like to help and share information. There a quite a bit of you and I have learned some things.
As many people that come here and complain about NJ, there are as many that love it. A lot of people have left NJ and will never go back. We left NJ and I want to go back.

NJ is overcrowded, expensive, there is a lot of crime in certain areas, a lot of illegals have taken over parts of the state. The politicians are corrupt. There are other things wrong with NJ. That being said, my husband and I are working on moving back. I miss NJ dearly-problems and all. No where else is home.

The media/tv gives NJ a bad name as well. I agree, people that have never step foot here bash it. People up here in NH are scared to drive on the parkway when traveling-they think they are going to get carjacked. Yes crime happens, but not everywhere all the time.

I was born and raised at the Jersey shore, my family goes back to the 1700's in that area- we were the founding fathers of one of the towns. I have a great love for NJ and if I never make it back to live there, I will always miss NJ. We go back often, using a lot of our vacation time.

I grew up at the Jersey Shore, but lived in South Jersey for my last 6 years in NJ before moving to NH. I loved living in South Jersey. The proximity is great, if you love sports, depending on where you live you are minutes away from all 4 major sports teams. It is very easy to drive in/out of the city.
South Jersey is becoming more built up, so of course crime increases, I believe that is what comes with growth. However, I still think it is a good place to raise a family.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I will answer as best and honestly as I can.

Nicole

Old 08-12-2007, 05:23 PM

17 posts, read 77,395 times
If I had my choice, I would like to live somewhere with less winter,cost and crime. The bad thing about most of the tri-state area, is that it is very competive, and a lot of emphasis is put on material things, and we are not the most polite people in the world! But on the bright side, we are very up to date on just about everything, our public education is second to none, and we have a certain attractve, "moxieness" to us! Where are your jobs, how long of a commute do you want and do you like cities, small town or the country? Also, what is your budget for rent or a house? I would love to help you!

Old 08-12-2007, 05:27 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,389 times
Use common sense and realize that many of the posts you see here should be taken with a grain of salt. This forum has more "troll" posts than any of the other states combined (except for NY forum maybe).

Be careful about responding to posts on here that say PM me or IM me for more info. The majority of them are bogus and they are looking for more personal info about you. They will start off by saying "I am a Black woman" or "I am an Italian housewife" or "My brother works at this place for 20 years" etc. Many of these same type posts have appeared here hundreds of times. Who knows what the motivation is.

Anyone who is serious about finding a new home would not depend on a web board. Make the effort and do your own research and try to broaden your search a little.

Old 08-12-2007, 05:57 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,239,225 times
I understand where you are coming from. I complain about it AND love it. You cant fix problems if you pretend they arent there. I grew up here, lived in 4 different states in my 20's and I ended up back here. I will not be moving anywhere else because there is no place like NJ. I'm still gonna complain though. lol.

Old 08-12-2007, 06:10 PM

1,507 posts, read 5,906,566 times
Wink No words just smilies

we get alot of this type of stuff on NJ forum.....

Last edited by NewHomeHappy; 08-12-2007 at 06:24 PM.. Reason: clarify

Old 08-12-2007, 06:12 PM

1,507 posts, read 5,906,566 times
Default I agree

and much more of this stuff too....

Last edited by NewHomeHappy; 08-12-2007 at 06:24 PM..

Old 08-12-2007, 06:41 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,680,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenne03 View Post

wow in the bolded part. i don't know why people would do that. there has to be some bitterness there for someone to actually take time to tell someone NOT to move somewhere - privately.

i'm sorry you are subjected to that. i make a point of visiting other state boards and each has a cross to bear. florida for instance - EVERY SINGLE DAY there are at least 2 posts about how horrible the real estate market is and how low the wages are. same with arizona. california? traffic, cost of housing, illegals. the beloved NC? influx of rude northerners, traffic, lack of infrastructure to deal with the growth. you get the idea.

every.single.place.has.issues.and.everyone.thinks. their.issues.are.the.worst.

i like it here, and i sound like a broken record, but i've "looked around enough to know that you're the one I want to go through time with" (sorry for the dorky lyrics). seriously though, this place is NO WORSE THAN ANY OTHER.

i'll help as much as i can, but you're moving to S. NJ, and my knowledge is limited to Burlington Cnty and north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey