Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 06:43 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
People up here in NH are scared to drive on the parkway when traveling-they think they are going to get carjacked. Yes crime happens, but not everywhere all the time.
and what's funny is NJ is one of the safest places overall in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 06:58 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,368,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
wow in the bolded part. i don't know why people would do that. there has to be some bitterness there for someone to actually take time to tell someone NOT to move somewhere - privately.

i'm sorry you are subjected to that. i make a point of visiting other state boards and each has a cross to bear. florida for instance - EVERY SINGLE DAY there are at least 2 posts about how horrible the real estate market is and how low the wages are. same with arizona. california? traffic, cost of housing, illegals. the beloved NC? influx of rude northerners, traffic, lack of infrastructure to deal with the growth. you get the idea.

every.single.place.has.issues.and.everyone.thinks. their.issues.are.the.worst.

i like it here, and i sound like a broken record, but i've "looked around enough to know that you're the one I want to go through time with" (sorry for the dorky lyrics). seriously though, this place is NO WORSE THAN ANY OTHER.

i'll help as much as i can, but you're moving to S. NJ, and my knowledge is limited to Burlington Cnty and north.
South NJ is not bad. Near Philly would be Cherry Hill area which really is nice. We had family there but they moved to Florida so I'm familar with the Area. Cherry Hill doesn't have the problems of Manalapan which has many recent Staten Island Relocations. They are pushy and Nasty.
Byw, the only people on this board I had PM me were people that need a fairly affordable rental and I suggested the complex in Old Bridge where my son lives.I'm not a troll. I did live in Manalapan for 13 years and the last 3 years there, I thought I went to Hell.
Diane

Old 08-12-2007, 07:14 PM

543 posts, read 1,901,218 times
Default I agree!

I am so glad I found your post. My husband was offered a job as a sales manager for the tri state area and we were excited to perhaps move to NJ. We have family there and love it every time we visit. Our main concern is moving our kids away from the So Cal. outdoor lifestye. We live in OC right now where people complain daily about the high cost of living, traffic, phoney people etc. I found this forum and talked to other people from the East and now we are really questioning moving back there. I have found though that, like you said, every state has its issues. Check out the Orange County CA threads. You would think we are living in the pit of the earth(the anus of the earth as one poster put it).
Basically any place will have crime in certain areas and high prices if it has a lot to offer, just because so many people want to live there. I think NJ is a beautiful state that gets a bad rap. I would love being close to NYC and seeing beautiful green trees and experience the seasons. I don't think NJ residents appreciate how nice it is there. Come out to So Cal and see what our freeways look like and you will! No matter how expensive you think it may be it is we would still get a much nicer, much bigger home for our money than we would here, even with the high property taxes.
Also I find it interesting that when I ask my kids if they want to move to NJ they say no way. When I ask my neices if they want to leave NJ and move to the the OC (beautiful beaches, sunshine all year, Disneyland!) they say no way! I guess "home" is where we all want to be and I think you can make a home anywhere as long as you have family and friends to support you.
You will love NJ if you have to go. Good luck!

Old 08-12-2007, 07:18 PM

1,309 posts, read 4,192,044 times
OC2NYC:

You are SO right about the traffic in Southern CA. I'm a former NY'er and only visited a few times, but it was way scary compared to East Coast traffic. So many roadways connecting with each other, and so many cars, even on a Sunday afternoon. Only good thing (that I noticed, anyway, unless I missed them...no Tolls!).

Old 08-12-2007, 07:30 PM

316 posts, read 943,381 times
all I got to say is this. I live in central NJ and I am (roughly) an hour from:

1. New York City
2. Philiadelphia
3. The beach
4. The mountains (skiing in winter)
5. Atlantic City

where else can you say the same thing? granted, Jersey is like a big giant suburb. but I can confidently say that I wouldn't rather be in any other suburb anywhere! I moved to Illinois for a few years. Let me say this. Chicago is awesome, no doubt about it. But then I moved to the suburbs of chicago for a year. I was in misery. A suburb is a suburb is a suburb. But at least if you are in NJ suburb you can be in close proximity to the 5 places I listed above!

Old 08-13-2007, 06:34 AM

333 posts, read 1,991,783 times
It was nice to hear such great responses..even with the dorky lyrics tahiti!
I actually used to live in Nj as a kid..in the burlington county area. It has changed some since I left...a little more traffic. So I am familiar with the Cherry Hill/Medford/Marlton area.

We are actually looking in the Mullica Hill/Mickelton/East Greenwich area of which I don't know too much.

I understand I need to use common sense. I have been on the boards for a bit now. I was just frustrated. It seemed every post turns into an "I hate New Jersey" rant. I came to the boards to see what people think of the area I am considering. We were looking on the PA side too, but like I have said before...the Pa side is not as cheap as they say it is. I have done the research on schools. But you can look at statistics all you want, sometimes having a few people that have been through the school system or have lived in the area for a bit are an excellent resource for information.

I came on the board asking about stucco on the East Coast to see if anyone knew anything about it. I got a pm telling me stucco was the least of my concerns if I was moving to NJ and the poster went on to list what was wrong with NJ. That is what sparked my frustration. After having some pm's telling me I am making a bad decision for my family, the stucco one was the last straw for me I guess!

I even had one telling me not to come to NJ because it has the worst weather and winters. I laughed at that one..I know some people don't like 4 seasons. I love it. Plus South Jersey never really gets a whole lot of snow. Once in awhile from what I remember you might get a big one. But the amount of sunny days in South Jersey is incredible. It was hardly ever overcast. Even wintery days had bright skies and sunshine. I used to live in Pittsburgh where there were a ton of gloomy cloudy days and we got snow almost everyday.

I know there are a lot that do like NJ and that NJer's are definitely passionate!! I don't mind the feedback about why people don't like NJ. I don't mind heated discussions either. I love that you guys feel so strongly about things and that you love to debate about those ideas. As I have said, I was just frustrated and am glad to hear that a lot of you miss NJ or are happy to be there still even with all the problems.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:20 AM

21 posts, read 44,331 times
Do not worry. I spent most of my life in central NJ ( Monmouth and Mercer Counties), however I have lived as an adult not only in NJ, but FL, Ca, and MA. I can say, there is no place like NJ!! I miss it. The people are progressive, highly educated and yes the cost of living is high, but no higher than MANY of the places one would considerable desirable. Everyone thinks FL is cheap, until you discover the insurance costs, taxes and in the past few years inflated RE prices for houses that are NOT built like property in the north.
NJ has much to offer, spend time getting to know all there is to do, many great people live there! Enjoy!

Old 08-13-2007, 12:08 PM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenne03 View Post
I actually used to live in Nj as a kid..in the burlington county area. It has changed some since I left...a little more traffic. So I am familiar with the Cherry Hill/Medford/Marlton area.

We are actually looking in the Mullica Hill/Mickelton/East Greenwich area of which I don't know too much.

I don't care where you are looking, the people that like to say their state $uck$ are the ones that look to find places to complain. If I am unhappy with a product or an online shopping site, you can bet I will go an rate it at the most common sites. I may be different then most people because I also go out of my way to rate great service. If people do not rate great service, people have no way to know if reviews are really accurate.

I love NJ, my husband hates it for the same reason as everyone else. IMO where ever you go, there will be some kind of tax that will make you dislike that place too. My parents both came here from Hungary back in the 50's; and I'm glad that it's where they picked. I love the 4 seasons and love that we can get anywhere within a decent amount of traveling time. In Burlington County I can go to 3 airports; if I really need to leave out of Baltimore (a 4th), I can.

I love Burlington County; we're looking to upgrade our house but the taxes are so expensive. Browns Mills (we're in Country Lakes) is still affordable; and it's possible we may stay here due to that and being able to have a well for water and city sewer.

We were looking in Glouster & Camden counties; the taxes and water bill will kill us.

My town gets a pretty bad rap although I can't figure out why. We're surrounded by lakes, have a decent sized lot and are fairly close to shopping & the shore. If after you've looked in Glouster and can't stomach the taxes; look into Country Lakes. We're paying under $3,000 in taxes.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:26 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenne03 View Post
I came on the board asking about stucco on the East Coast to see if anyone knew anything about it. I got a pm telling me stucco was the least of my concerns if I was moving to NJ and the poster went on to list what was wrong with NJ. That is what sparked my frustration. After having some pm's telling me I am making a bad decision for my family, the stucco one was the last straw for me I guess!

I even had one telling me not to come to NJ because it has the worst weather and winters. I laughed at that one..I know some people don't like 4 seasons. I love it. Plus South Jersey never really gets a whole lot of snow. Once in awhile from what I remember you might get a big one. But the amount of sunny days in South Jersey is incredible.
first para: i'm speechless. the sheer b**** of some ppl.

second para is just funny. i consider south jersey's weather almost downright tropical compared to where i am now. LOL my in-laws are in burlington cnty and i'm always amazed how much milder their weather is. and i don't even think where i am is all that bad, lol.

you've been here, you know what it's like, don't let the negativity get you down.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:56 PM

523 posts, read 1,680,523 times
Talking Sunday Drives!

I have to chime in here. I grew up in Bergen County and now live just north of the NJ/NY border (in the NY OC ) and just LOVE NJ. In addition to the great logistical things mentioned by above posters (proximity to cities, airports, beaches, mountains), I've got two add to things unique to NJ.

1) You don't have to pump gas for our vehicle! As one of only two (I think) states left with this rule, NJ does not permit self-service at gasoline pumps. It's wonderful not to smell like gas and to have to handle those icky pumps.

1a) As compared to NY, NJ gas is cheaper as the fuel taxes are less. Most of the time I'm able to plan my travels so that I can fill up in NJ.

2) When you move to NJ, be sure you take a drive to Paramus on a Sunday. You won't be going there to shop at a shopping center, though you can dine at the various restaurants. You'll be going there to DRIVE on EMPTY (as compared to Saturday or anyday in California) highways. Cruise along Route 4 East to, say Teaneck Road. Note the empty parking lots. Make a U-turn, getting back on Route 4 West. Then merge onto Route 17 North. Drive up through Paramus, Ridgewood, Waldwick, Allendale - get off anywhere to cruise through these lovely towns. Have lunch. Enjoy looking at the homes. Make your way back to Route 17 South and note the big stores are all closed. Get back on the Garden State Parkway and head to South Jersey.

The stores are closed because of the "blue laws" which are more strict in Paramus than the rest of Bergen County. See the citation in: Blue law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -- scroll down to the Bergen County, New Jersey heading.

NJ is educated, diverse, cultural, has everything. As the ad (use to) say "New jersey and you, perfect together."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey