Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 02:28 PM

5 posts, read 42,575 times

Advertisements

Hello - My wife and I are moving within NJ. We live in East Windsor, NJ currently and I work in Mid town NYC. My commute one way is 2 hours. We want to move up north from where I can easily commute to NYC. My job location might change to Downtown NYC, so I need a place from where both Mid town and Down town are easily accessible. We are looking to rent and max budget is $1500 (lower the better). We don't have kids, so school district is not a preference. I just want a safe, clean neighborhood. I used to earlier live in Newport but the prices seem very expensive. Can someone please suggest a few cities where the commute to NYC can be accomplished pain free in under an hour (preferably within 45 minutes)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 09:41 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamal14 View Post
Hello - My wife and I are moving within NJ. We live in East Windsor, NJ currently and I work in Mid town NYC. My commute one way is 2 hours. We want to move up north from where I can easily commute to NYC. My job location might change to Downtown NYC, so I need a place from where both Mid town and Down town are easily accessible. We are looking to rent and max budget is $1500 (lower the better). We don't have kids, so school district is not a preference. I just want a safe, clean neighborhood. I used to earlier live in Newport but the prices seem very expensive. Can someone please suggest a few cities where the commute to NYC can be accomplished pain free in under an hour (preferably within 45 minutes)?
Maybe Rutherford, since it's the last stop on the Bergen County line (except for Secaucus) and you might be able to find something in your rent budget. Or Lyndhurst, same idea only on the Main Line. The only problem will be that you'll have to transfer at Secaucus if you're going to midtown. Both are safe areas.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:03 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,030,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Maybe Rutherford, since it's the last stop on the Bergen County line (except for Secaucus) and you might be able to find something in your rent budget. Or Lyndhurst, same idea only on the Main Line. The only problem will be that you'll have to transfer at Secaucus if you're going to midtown. Both are safe areas.
Agreed. Rutherford/East Rutherford are great options as in Lyndhurst. I find the Rutherfords to be a bit more appealing vs. Lyndhurst in that they just look nicer but I would certainly live and did look for homes in Lyndhurst. In Rutherford/East Rutherford though you have a nice downtown area centered around the train station with restaurants, pubs, what-not shops and such. Both towns also have ample buses into Port Authority as an alternative to the train.

There's no real guarantee of pain free as it IS NJ Transit (and even living in NYC you'd have MTA's NYC Transit, headache potential is equal) but in that area your odds are the best favor. You do have to transfer at Secaucus or take the PATH from Hoboken but it's not something that should be a hinderance. And if the job changes to downtown the PATH will get ya there. Monthly passes of NJT via Hoboken to PATH and NJT to NY Penn are comparable.

Cheers and good luck to ya!

Old 08-20-2011, 11:02 PM

Default Fort Lee

Thanks. I did check the Rutherford Commute and comes to an hour and 5 minutes. I guess if I add transit times to home and work it might come up close to an hour and 20 minutes. How about Fort Lee? Seems like a pretty straight route into the city.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I did check the Rutherford Commute and comes to an hour and 5 minutes. I guess if I add transit times to home and work it might come up close to an hour and 20 minutes. How about Fort Lee? Seems like a pretty straight route into the city.
Something is wrong here, and I know it's wrong because I took the train for years from Ridgewood, much further out than Rutherford, to the WTC and THAT took an hour and 20 minutes. I just looked at the NJ Transit train schedule and, for example, you catch the train from Rutherford at 7:12 and you are at NY Penn at 7:39, including the transfer at Secaucus. Or you catch the 7:12 to Hoboken, take PATH and you are at the World Trade Center at 7:50.

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/R0020.pdf

Fort Lee is right on the river, so yes, Manhattan is right across the river, and you can catch the jitney at the Jersey side to get to the GWB Bus Station on the NY side for about $1.75, but do you really want to go to Washington Heights/183rd Street? You would have to take the A train down to midtown or downtown from there.

What part of Manhattan do you work in?

Old 08-21-2011, 06:20 PM

Default Rutherford or East Rutherford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Something is wrong here, and I know it's wrong because I took the train for years from Ridgewood, much further out than Rutherford, to the WTC and THAT took an hour and 20 minutes. I just looked at the NJ Transit train schedule and, for example, you catch the train from Rutherford at 7:12 and you are at NY Penn at 7:39, including the transfer at Secaucus. Or you catch the 7:12 to Hoboken, take PATH and you are at the World Trade Center at 7:50.

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/R0020.pdf

Fort Lee is right on the river, so yes, Manhattan is right across the river, and you can catch the jitney at the Jersey side to get to the GWB Bus Station on the NY side for about $1.75, but do you really want to go to Washington Heights/183rd Street? You would have to take the A train down to midtown or downtown from there.

What part of Manhattan do you work in?
Hmmm.....a bit confused. Is East Rutherford the same as Rutherford? If I stayed in East Rutherford, can I still take the train from Rutherford? I work in Park Avenue currently but will be moving Downtown (about 10 mts walk from WTC) in October. Also, I can't see the PM trains on the link posted above stopping at Rutherford. Do I need to check a different schedule? Also, what is the general opinion on taking the bus from East Rutherford into the city? I think there are a couple of buses available.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:24 PM

Default Train frequency

Also...for the morning train from Rutherford, I see only 3 - 4 of them during peak hours. I would like to see a higher frequency.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Also...for the morning train from Rutherford, I see only 3 - 4 of them during peak hours. I would like to see a higher frequency.
The pm trains are on there, you just have to scroll down. For higher frequency, I guess you'd have to complain to NJ Transit.

I am not as familiar with the buses, and not sure about which ones service East Rutherford, but here's the basic NJ Transit website.

www.njtransit.com

Old 08-21-2011, 07:36 PM

I am familiar with the NJ Transit website having commuted for the last couple of years. My point was about the lack of frequency in trains.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:25 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,223,538 times
Quote:
Hmmm.....a bit confused. Is East Rutherford the same as Rutherford? If I stayed in East Rutherford, can I still take the train from Rutherford?
East Rutherford is a separate jurisdiction from Rutherford. My impression is it's a bit downscale from Rutherford. The Rutherford station is right on the border; one side of the tracks is Rutherford, the other is East Rutherford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey