Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 11:13 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,263,463 times

Advertisements

Hurricane Irene slams into NJ, shuts down NYC - Weather - msnbc.com

Most dramatic photos from Hurricane Irene - Connecticut Post

Hurricane Irene 2011 Photos: Pictures Of Storm Battering East Coast (PHOTOS)

Get a clue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 11:46 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
For some reason they keep ignoring Philadelphia.

Raw Footage: Philadelphia Manayunk Eastfalls Hurricane Irene Flooding 8/28/11 - YouTube

Old 08-30-2011, 07:17 AM

505 posts, read 1,763,026 times
I guess the severity of the storm is all relative. In the three years I have been in this house, I have not lost power for more than 15 minutes. I am now over two days without power and driving around town shows me there is a lot to do. They could tell me power wouldn't be restored until next Tuesday and I wouldn't be surprised.

And I consider myself lucky as I see the flooding in the town next to me, or the neighbor's car crushed a block away from my place.

So yeah, for many (myself includes), they are still dealing with Irene. That to me makes it a bad storm.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:00 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,410,268 times
all in all, we made it through relatively OK, but...40 people died across the path of the hurricane. roads are closed all over the northeast. houses and cars had trees do quite a bit of damage. water lines were effected. power lines and equipment were effected. i think a lot of people complained about the media throwing people into a panic, while i personally experienced a lot of people that didn't take it seriously enough.

here's an interesting article too. the costs are still yet to be known:

Costs Of Irene Add Up As FEMA Runs Out Of Cash : NPR

Old 08-30-2011, 11:54 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
There was no hype. The media keeps repeating information until the average person's head is ready to explode because so many people think that it doesn't include them.

The latest count is 40 deaths, mostly from electrocution & drowning. That means that at least the majority of those 40 deaths were people who thought that it didn't mean them. Who knows how many just got lucky.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:02 PM

32,944 posts, read 36,386,492 times
Yes, there was some hype and the storm could have been much worse.

I agree with tallguylehigh. Just because a tree didn't fall on my house or car, power has been restored to my neighborhood and local flooding has subsided, roads and bridges intact, doesn't mean that others were so lucky.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:23 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,220,925 times
Basically this storm was like a 400-mile-wide band of moderate to heavy rainstorms which lasted 6 hours, followed by a moderate windstorm. It was certainly damaging (My town is still under a "boil water" order because the water treatment plant was flooded), but nothing like what the news was making it out to be. Almost any given area has had regular old summer thunderstorms/squall lines which were worse; it's just that Irene affected a much wider area. The exceptions are places like Millburn, where quantity (of rain) had a quality all of its own, but even then the defining characteristic of a hurricane is the high winds, and what did most of the damage was the heavy rains.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I haven't heard anything about Philly either.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguylehigh View Post
I guess the severity of the storm is all relative. In the three years I have been in this house, I have not lost power for more than 15 minutes. I am now over two days without power and driving around town shows me there is a lot to do. They could tell me power wouldn't be restored until next Tuesday and I wouldn't be surprised.

And I consider myself lucky as I see the flooding in the town next to me, or the neighbor's car crushed a block away from my place.

So yeah, for many (myself includes), they are still dealing with Irene. That to me makes it a bad storm.
I think it's more subjective - some moron who lives on LBI said he had been evacuated one too many times and in his tenure of being evacuated and "being fine" he wasn't going to evacuate the "next time".

Hopefully that "next time" won't end up with him having to swim over to his neighbor's roof to wait for rescue.

How stupid and self righteous does one have to be?

I hope you get your power back soon!

Old 08-30-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Basically this storm was like a 400-mile-wide band of moderate to heavy rainstorms which lasted 6 hours, followed by a moderate windstorm. It was certainly damaging (My town is still under a "boil water" order because the water treatment plant was flooded), but nothing like what the news was making it out to be. Almost any given area has had regular old summer thunderstorms/squall lines which were worse; it's just that Irene affected a much wider area. The exceptions are places like Millburn, where quantity (of rain) had a quality all of its own, but even then the defining characteristic of a hurricane is the high winds, and what did most of the damage was the heavy rains.
What was the news making it out to be other than what it was?

I watched, it got downgraded, while it was pelting OBX.

What regular old thunder storm (they run up the east coast - hop water-ways and land and travel state to state?) in the past 100 years was worse and has caused as much destruction as little old, closer to the size of Texas than not, Irene did in NJ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey