Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2011, 08:29 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Generalizations and assumptions are...not necessarily accurate.
Earlier today, I was speaking with a friend of mine, and she mentioned that her husband (mid-40s, PhD in Physical Chemistry, employed by...let's just say...a major corporate entity, and earning a very comfortable salary) is going to attend the demonstrations in NYC tomorrow.

As they say...Never assume.
make sure he brings some nose plugs and watches out for marijuana that may be laced with harsher drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 08:46 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
honestly, i cant list economies where its been attempted. right now, nobody's economy is looking too pretty so something isnt working about what we have now. we currently have a progressive income tax and about $15 trillion in debt, so you would say thats working? of course, you would blame other factors. so if there was flattaxland where they had a flat tax but that economy collapsed, maybe it was other factors. but i cant come up with a successful economy with a flat tax just like i doubt you can think of a failed one off the top of your head.

we spend almost $1 trillion more than we did in 2008. we have gained nothing from that, so knock it back down to that. cut military $200 billion more. there is your $1.2 trillion.
well, i knew you couldn't list them, so that was unfair of me to ask. because the answer is, it has never worked anywhere.

we currently have a progressive tax code in theory, but when you look at what's been done to it with the fallacy of the AMT and the deductions that the top bracket enjoy, it no longer looks so progressive.

i'm not blaming other factors, i'm saying to get back to the purpose of a progressive tax code. here you go, no one has actually implemented a flat tax, because no one believes it would work. some countries have close to a flat tax, but with exceptions:

All Eyes on Slovakia's Flat Tax — HBS Working Knowledge

Old 10-12-2011, 10:15 PM

143 posts, read 302,513 times
Sure, let's cut corporate taxes to 0%!

So the executives can give themselves nice bigt six-figure bonuses !

After all, they're not going to create more jobs with the money, are they

Oh, that's right, the head of GE, he is creating lots of new jobs . . . in Brazil.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:04 AM

11,346 posts, read 16,708,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Rahrah View Post
Sure, let's cut corporate taxes to 0%!

So the executives can give themselves nice bigt six-figure bonuses !

After all, they're not going to create more jobs with the money, are they

Oh, that's right, the head of GE, he is creating lots of new jobs . . . in Brazil.
You do realize that Immelt is the Chair of President Obama's Council on Jobs and Competitiveness. He is also a member of The Business Council.

How's that change and hope working out for you?

Old 10-13-2011, 08:32 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
well, i knew you couldn't list them, so that was unfair of me to ask. because the answer is, it has never worked anywhere.
it also has never not worked anywhere. i think its wrong to focus on the "flat tax" or "progressive tax" as if by themselves they will make or break an economy. i think either could work, there are other factors that will lead to success or failure.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
it also has never not worked anywhere. i think its wrong to focus on the "flat tax" or "progressive tax" as if by themselves they will make or break an economy. i think either could work, there are other factors that will lead to success or failure.
this is a good point, one with which I agree, but politicians, especially conservsatives, often seem to focus on tax policy as being the driver of the economy. I've long believed that it's a very small piece. Far larger impact comes from the regulation policies we have, and how those are enforced. I have a hard time being convinced that if person pays 39 cents on a dollar over $250,000 instead of 36 cents on that dollar, that the person will all of a sudden decide to lock it up and not make more money. nothing in our history suggests this behavior to be the norm. and certainly, nothing in the past decade has suggested that historically low income taxes has helped to stimulate anything.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
You do realize that Immelt is the Chair of President Obama's Council on Jobs and Competitiveness. He is also a member of The Business Council.

How's that change and hope working out for you?
Why is it a bad thing that Immelt is the Chair? He's traditionally a Republican mindset (a real one, not the Republican that has been created in the past decade), who recognizes that he runs a global company and he has responsibilities in that regard, but also recognizes he's an American citizen running an American-based company.

I think he's quite good for the job, and people rail on GE for not paying taxes when much of the reason they don't is because of policies to encourage investment in America, in green technology, in the future. Doesn't mean I agree with all the policies, but it's not exactly the same as Wells Fargo paying no taxes because they raked in millions in taxpayer bailouts, paid bankers huge bonuses despite being a horribly run company, and continuously writing down assets to lower values because of poor decisions made, largely by the people getting nice bonuses.

A Democrat president reaching across the aisle to work with a Republican mindset on job creation? I'd say that is a change from past cronyism (not that Obama has no cronies in other places though).

Old 10-13-2011, 07:26 PM

11,346 posts, read 16,708,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
Why is it a bad thing that Immelt is the Chair? He's traditionally a Republican mindset (a real one, not the Republican that has been created in the past decade), who recognizes that he runs a global company and he has responsibilities in that regard, but also recognizes he's an American citizen running an American-based company.

I think he's quite good for the job, and people rail on GE for not paying taxes when much of the reason they don't is because of policies to encourage investment in America, in green technology, in the future. Doesn't mean I agree with all the policies, but it's not exactly the same as Wells Fargo paying no taxes because they raked in millions in taxpayer bailouts, paid bankers huge bonuses despite being a horribly run company, and continuously writing down assets to lower values because of poor decisions made, largely by the people getting nice bonuses.

A Democrat president reaching across the aisle to work with a Republican mindset on job creation? I'd say that is a change from past cronyism (not that Obama has no cronies in other places though).
GE has been a major player in outsourcing jobs and only recently started to pull them back....maybe his appointment had something to do with it.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:13 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times
Well it looks like the protesters won today. They were supposed to move them out at 0700 hours but the city postponed it. To me it looks like the city doesn't want a confrontation. The movement is spreading.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
GE has been a major player in outsourcing jobs and only recently started to pull them back....maybe his appointment had something to do with it.
as i said, they are a global company. they create jobs all over the world. i'm not saying they are saints, but i do think they get overly slammed. did you see immelt on 60 minutes this week?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey