Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 09:46 PM

562 posts, read 2,614,865 times

Advertisements

which way did you walked off Elmora b4 it turned bad?? I just wonder b/c if you walked towards Kean.. it gets better.. if you walk towards Bayway Ave.. still good.. if you walk towards Warinanco Park, it's also good.. now if you walk towards Broad St, the closer you get to Broad st then you'll start seeing a change but there is new construction going on in that area and you'll soon see Elizabeth highest apt building in that area.. anything below broad st and around midtown still needs work.. but it's better than b4 believe it or not.. hehe
about the rents... anywhere in ELizabeth in a new construction 2fam house the rent will be approx 1400 to 1600. dollars for a 3 bedroom, 2 bathrooms, of course 1400 will be anywhere not considered the best part of Elizabeth.. in Elmora a new construction apt will go around 1600 - 1700 a month.. again this is for a very large apt approx 1000Sq feet.. now if you are looking for an apt in an older house with 3 bedrooms and 1 bathroom the rent can be between 1100 - 1400.. smaller apt will be cheaper.. like a 1 bedroom somewhere about 900-1000, a 2 bedroom about 1000 - 1200.. a 3bedroom 1200 - 1700..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cWo Kaufmann View Post
Walked by elmora avenue yesterday. I would have believed that it wasn't part of Elizabeth at all, considering how nice it was! You do notice though that as you leave the main elmora ave. area, things turn back to the dreaded decaying buildings we all know and love in elizabeth

Anything by east jersey street is a total embarrassment. My aunt was paying 950 dollars a month, to think that part of the neighborhood where she was isn't a really great place at all! The tenant below her pays 1,250, crazily enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2007, 02:29 PM

1 posts, read 10,246 times
Default Awesome advise from someone who knows

[quote=jstar41;173163]it's funny how you think that Linden/Rahway/Roselle are better than Elizabeth.. they are next door to Elizabeth.. btw Elizabeth is approx 4 times the size of those towns.. I have a few investment properties in ELizabeth.. to be exact in Elmora Ave, North Ave and Port Ave @ the waterfront.. yes Elmora ave is very safe and family oriented area, North Ave is also safe lots of traffic thought b/c everyones gets on this road to jump to 1&9 or NJT, Port ave.. it's a redeveloping area.. lots of new construction going on with new ferry being built including a police station in Trumbull ave.. there are lots of projects going on in ELizabeth.. i will highly recommend for investors to buy in this area.. out of NJ it is the only place where real estate has not decrease dramatically.. people are still building new homes and are still selling..
------------------------------------------------------------------

Jstar41:

Thanks for the realistic view. I am a new commer and have been reading the responses of many that have posted. Given the dynamics of what is taking place in Elizabeth and a being a past resident of Brooklyn, NY, I do believe Elizabeth is a good spot to invest. I don't believe you could afford the place in comming years. I am curious however, why anyone will be crazy enough to purchase a property for 500k there when they can get so much more value elsewhere. I am not a developer but an eager MBA grad that have research many developing areas and Elizabeth has by far outpaced Irvington, East Orange and Newark. I might be wrong but at the pace those houses are going up (where there is a small patch of dirt there is a new home I believe the faces and the income of Elizabeth will change.

Old 01-20-2007, 10:07 PM

[quote=wikipedia111;291816]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar41 View Post
------------------------------------------------------------------

Jstar41:

Thanks for the realistic view. I am a new commer and have been reading the responses of many that have posted. Given the dynamics of what is taking place in Elizabeth and a being a past resident of Brooklyn, NY, I do believe Elizabeth is a good spot to invest. I don't believe you could afford the place in comming years. I am curious however, why anyone will be crazy enough to purchase a property for 500k there when they can get so much more value elsewhere. I am not a developer but an eager MBA grad that have research many developing areas and Elizabeth has by far outpaced Irvington, East Orange and Newark. I might be wrong but at the pace those houses are going up (where there is a small patch of dirt there is a new home I believe the faces and the income of Elizabeth will change.
it's true Elizabeth only requires a 25*100 lot and they;ll let you build depending on the zone.. Elizabeth is funny on how they split the city on different ward zones.. i know this b/c i'm currently building a new 2 fam house...
in reference to "why anyone will be crazy enough to purchase a property for 500k there when they can get so much more value elsewhere." the NEW homes for this price range and more are because they are at least 2 family houses.. New 2 family houses run between 500k - 650k depending on areas.. most buyers figure they'll rent one apartment and live on the other.. also these are NEW Construction houses.. not old ones.. the way i see it is why spend 500k on an old house where money will need to be invested to live comfortable.. meanwhile in ELizabeth you can live in a NEW House.. with central air hot/cold, 10 yrs builder warranty, 5 yrs tax abatement, basically worried free.. oh and near everything for the same price.. also keep in mind that investors/home owners buy multi family houses b/c they tend to gain equity faster than single family houses..

like you said the faces and income of Elizabeth will change, in matter of fact is changing.. last time i went to a restaurant on Elmora, i was surprise to see non latinos in a spanish restaurant.. and I'm sure they live in the area.. btw my parents live on elmora so i'm around here on a daily basis.. also i work in the city and my salary is in the upper 80s.. which is not bad and I would not move out of Elizabeth because of its proximity to NYC.. many of my friends are on the same situation.. a few other friends are planning on doing the same, btw our age range is from 25-35.. so I guess more young professionals are moving here.. I just wish we could get rid of all the ghetto fabolous.. it's funny because they are not even ghetto, they just portray that image.. when have you seen a ghetto person living in a home with a car and money.. ghetto people are broke, that's why they are call ghetto..from the projects.. anyways that's another topic..

Old 01-26-2007, 09:43 AM

70 posts, read 336,819 times
Default Give me a break

I've lived in Elizabeth, my whole life. And in those years I've never experienced any kind of theft. I don't understand half of the stories on this forum. Mind you people speak of Linden and Roselle, like they are an oasis compared to Elizabeth. Let us not forget the beautiful areas of Roselle by First Ave and Chestnut or Linden's beautiful views of the refinary and Incinerator or the fabulous "ghetto" area by St. Georges Ave.

Elizabeth has had its decline over the years stemming from 60's -90's. But the Mayor has done a great deal of invesments for the city. Only Atlantic City has more hotels per square area than Elizabeth (not motels, brand name hotels Hiltons, Sheratons etc.). The largest Loew's Theatre in NJ and the largest outlet mall on the East Coast have all been recent developments in NJ. What other cities can boast easy access to Interstate 95, US Routes 1&9, Interstate 278, major international airport, major bridge connecting to New York City, the largest Seaport on the East Coast, not many! And the Mayor has seen the potential and has run with it. Elizabeth will soon house the tallest residential building in Union County (Silcon Group). Major banks have finally moved into Elizabeth ( from Chase Mahattan to Washington Mutual). A new Ferry will link Elizabeth to Lower Manhattan, as well as, a Light Rail that will Link Elizabeth to Newark Airport. The Pioneer Home Projects among others have been tore down and replaced with beautiful townhouses. The Waterfront has received a much needed facelift with new parks, trails, and $500k townhouses.

Let us all not forgot the dumps that Jersey City and Hoboken once were. 15 years ago, you would not be caught dead buying anything on the Jersey City waterfront, but look at the changes that have occured when someone noticed the potential of a specific area. Elizabeth is up and coming. As soon as I finish graduate school, you will see me investing in this city.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:19 PM

2 posts, read 15,074 times
i been living in elizabeth my whole life. not born but raised. since i was oone. and i can tell yu this, i lived downtown for 14 years, elmora ave near shop rite for about 3 years, and then moved to elmora hills for about 4 more yrs. now i live near elmora again but near dunkin donuts. it is not bad. people make elizabeth look like its a dump. no its not. what PEOPLE need to do is actually live here and see how it is instead of listening to these stupid replies. IF YOU WANNA LIVE HERE THEN MOVE HERE. im moving back downtown by the way. and if u wanna live here just mind your business. dont go bein nosey and watever cuz thats wat ppl do and those ppl get into fights. mind u, i have a mouth so in skool [i went to ehs] i got into alot of fights. and just deal with it. everywhere you go, your bound to get into atleast one fight. ok? and now my niece is living with me. she is only 14 but she has gotten into her fair amount of fights. get over it. its gonna happen. well yea, elizabeth isnt bad! you jsut gotta mind your own business and you will do good.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:08 AM

nbaby.. i lived in Elizabeth most of my life and never had to get on a fight.. I too went to EHS, based on the way you express yourself you need to mature a bit. People are not going to pay attention to your posts if you write in slang.. but you are right Elizabeth is not what most people on this forum make it seem...

Old 08-11-2007, 09:47 AM

70 posts, read 336,819 times
I agree Jstar, I also graduated from Elizabeth HS and never had a fight either. Or for that matter, any type of confrontation. All these negative comments, usually, stem from those who drive into Elizabeth in the morning and by 5pm they are out of the city. People need to realize that the term for Elizabeth is CITY not township,town,village etc. Cities naturally have crime and I don't understand why people find it so suprising that Elizabeth has its own share.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:48 PM

exactly .. and many people don't understand that the population in Elizabeth is greater than any other town around its borders.. more people = more crime.. same as no people = no crime.. also keep in mind that Elizabeth is a very diverse city.. you'll find all cultures, religions, ethnics, colors, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagrecco1982 View Post
I agree Jstar, I also graduated from Elizabeth HS and never had a fight either. Or for that matter, any type of confrontation. All these negative comments, usually, stem from those who drive into Elizabeth in the morning and by 5pm they are out of the city. People need to realize that the term for Elizabeth is CITY not township,town,village etc. Cities naturally have crime and I don't understand why people find it so suprising that Elizabeth has its own share.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:25 AM

526 posts, read 2,068,245 times
Well I was born and raised in Elizabeth, graduated from EHS, and got into fights all the time. And I lived in a nice section of Elizabeth amd am not a small guy. Granted this was in my younger years, but I am a light-skinned Hispanic so some people of my race who thought they were tougher tried to test my manhood. And 90% of them lost.

Listen, there are cities in NJ worse than Elizabeth: Newark; Irvington; Camden. But that's about it. Seriously, name me another city that's worse. I can't think of any.

I mean I got my house robbed, my car broken into and this was in the 90's before the influx of illegals. That's just how it was. I've got no reason to lie.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:50 AM

526 posts, read 2,068,245 times
But let me also say that I wouldn't trade my upbringing in Elizabeth for anything. I wasn't handed a thing and was tested quite frequently. And, yes, it may have been tough, but it made me the man I am today. Now that I'm gone, I look back and appreciate those days. It taught me how to handle advsersity and I'll always be grateful for that.

But it is a different place than it was 10, even 5 years ago. Elizabeth has changed dramatically - like many other cities in NJ. And continues to change by the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey