Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 07:03 AM

1,931 posts, read 3,414,290 times

Advertisements

Springfield superintendent bans Halloween costumes from town's elementary schools | NJ.com

Honestly what about kids just being kids? One day and they cant have fun a few hours of the day? Ever think that Halloween is learning too? Imagination,creativity and so on? We are sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 07:22 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,682,825 times
Wow, that's horrible. Do you know what I think is the most detrimental thing to impede learning, especially in grammar school? Not having any fun. These are kids for Pete's sake.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:34 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,764,625 times
Quote:
Davino could not be reached for comment, but said at this week’s board meeting that dressing in costume should be an activity enjoyed after school.

"I don’t believe that dressing up is something that is necessary to do at school," he said at the meeting, according to the website Springfield Patch. "I do believe it is something you should do with your friends, something you should do with your family and it is something you should do as an activity that has really nothing to do with school or about school."

Board of Education President Pat Venezia said the district determined Halloween had become a social holiday, not an educational holiday and acted accordingly.
What is wrong with teaching children how to be social. Isn't that part of learning and partly why children go to School in the first place? It's only for an hour or maybe two at most. So they get a little excited so what it's only one day out the School year they get to dress up and be more social in class. Why not teach them how Halloween came to be the way it is in our Country today. If they can learn about obituarys, cremation then they can learn about Halloween. When I was a child we made our costumes and I won a prize for creativity and originality. This is a Holiday for children. If he doesn't like it then maybe he should work with adults in an office where it would be more understanble to not allow dressing up in a costume.

I think it's much safer for children to have this at School and under supervision of an adult that can be trusted with the responsibility of keeping them indoors, safe and not going door to door trusting every stranger at every home that answers the doorbell.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:46 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times
Fire the super./ I'll say it GOD BLESS AMERICA/ and while i'm offending someone- MERRY CHRISTMAS-

Old 10-22-2011, 11:13 AM

390 posts, read 1,367,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
More ideas from the liberal left.
Sounds like an ultra conservative guy to me. Last I remember, the arts, free expression, etc where all ideas the left championed. The right wanted more standardized testing in schools.

Besides, most opposition to Halloween as a holiday comes from religious groups. And when was the last time "the left" did something like ban dancing or customes. Last I saw, these guys were all dressed up themselves on Wall Street protesting!

Old 10-22-2011, 11:16 AM

4,287 posts, read 10,769,895 times
That is pretty stupid.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:17 AM

1,202 posts, read 3,030,084 times
Next thing you know they'll be dancing...

Old 10-22-2011, 09:19 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,764,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by labcjo View Post
Sounds like an ultra conservative guy to me. Last I remember, the arts, free expression, etc where all ideas the left championed. The right wanted more standardized testing in schools.

Besides, most opposition to Halloween as a holiday comes from religious groups. And when was the last time "the left" did something like ban dancing or customes. Last I saw, these guys were all dressed up themselves on Wall Street protesting!

I don't know why they would when they could have their own Halloween party. They could have their children dress up as biblical characters and have cake, candy, fresh fruit, games to play just like everyone else minus the creepy scary stuff. Yeah I know there's scary stuff in the bible but they are children so they don't need to know that part until they are old enough to handle it.

Quote:
Last I saw, these guys were all dressed up themselves on Wall Street protesting!
LOL that's funny.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:30 AM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Just more of the whole PC bullsh*t infecting our schools.

Recently a principal up in Massachusetts wanted to curtail any "Thanksgiving" celebrations.

Unbelievable.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:09 AM

50,799 posts, read 36,501,346 times
This is not unusual nowadays, but normally it's religion-based not "PC", like others have said. At Hamilton Mall religious groups handed me flyers about how "evil" Halloween is and shouldn't be celebrated. When I worked for Galloway schools, one of the elementary schools wasn't allowed to have Halloween costumes or parties for 6 years, because one religious parent sued to stop it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey