Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2012, 08:23 AM

15 posts, read 48,087 times

Advertisements

What I like about Tenafly is that you tend to get more land then in lower westchester. That said, the town seems more sleepy then Scarsdale, Larchmont, Rye area. Maybe I just need to drive around more but I am curious if my assumption is correct. Also, where do you go shopping? Are there areas close by with big stores, shops, boutiques? Would love to get someone's opinion who knows both lower westchester and Tenafly. Also what are the families like? young, old, snobby, welcoming?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 08:34 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,845,984 times
There pretty snobby , old and stuck up in Tenafly....as for Westchester it depends...my opinion on Westchester is that its nicer , the community tends to work together and while you get less land for your $$ , you get more things over there like Bikeways , a Park system in most towns , sidewalks that go everywhere , County wide Public Transit...

Old 03-21-2012, 01:34 PM

39 posts, read 97,455 times
Yes Westchester is great! The taxes are typically a bit less in NJ

Old 03-21-2012, 04:32 PM

99 posts, read 477,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc007 View Post
What I like about Tenafly is that you tend to get more land then in lower westchester. That said, the town seems more sleepy
Your impression is correct. You could do worse in terms of "sleepiness" if you head north and west of Tenafly, but the entire borough, including the lone supermarket, essentially closes down by 10PM.

Generally speaking, the residents are a mixture of young families and older empty nesters. There is much snobbishness and despite a government "Welcome" committee, you will likely find yourself to be unwelcome unless you conform in every way (demographics, financial, hobbies, etc.) If you have kids you want to send to school, they will need designer clothes and you should budget your auto insurance to include an Audi, Mercedes, or a Hummer so your kids can drive to the high school and park it in "the lot"

Here's a good test to see if Tenafly is right for you: If your iPad is over one year old, you should consider another place to live.

Sorry I can't help you out with Westchester, NY. Not too familiar with that area.

I am from Bergen County and am familiar with many of the boroughs and cities within.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:24 PM

667 posts, read 1,744,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LampLighter View Post
Your impression is correct. You could do worse in terms of "sleepiness" if you head north and west of Tenafly, but the entire borough, including the lone supermarket, essentially closes down by 10PM.

Generally speaking, the residents are a mixture of young families and older empty nesters. There is much snobbishness and despite a government "Welcome" committee, you will likely find yourself to be unwelcome unless you conform in every way (demographics, financial, hobbies, etc.) If you have kids you want to send to school, they will need designer clothes and you should budget your auto insurance to include an Audi, Mercedes, or a Hummer so your kids can drive to the high school and park it in "the lot"

Here's a good test to see if Tenafly is right for you: If your iPad is over one year old, you should consider another place to live.

Sorry I can't help you out with Westchester, NY. Not too familiar with that area.

I am from Bergen County and am familiar with many of the boroughs and cities within.
Lower Westchester is no different. I always find it sort of 'funny' when folks seek some of the most affluent towns, yet make a note about not wanting any 'snobbery'. Taxes are insane in Westchester as they are in NNJ. But you get a bit more IMO in NJ. Go ahead and look at Dobbs Ferry for example, which while cute has taxes starting at $16k for most homes for .25 acre lots. Than you have Rye, Bronxville, etc.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:33 AM

39 posts, read 97,455 times
The lower Westchester neighborhoods are just 30min north of NYC. So for shopping and restaurants you can always go there. Also White Plains has really changed in the last decade. The have the beautiful Westchester Mall. There are great shops, restaurants and bars. It has almost everything you need. I'm happy to give you a tour.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:04 PM

108 posts, read 295,584 times
Wow, never realise Tenafly was so yikes. The first time I visit there I also thought it was a little strange why is it so dead here. I drive a Honda, no wonder why a patrol car was following me a little.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:12 PM

440 posts, read 1,052,589 times
Since I grew up in lower Westchester (New Rochelle), worked in Mount Vernon and had many friends in White Plains, Scarsdale and Tenafly frequently I can probably address some of your questions. Lower Westchester and Tenafly are pretty dead at night. Lower Westchester has great rail service into Manhattan (roughly 30 mins to Grand Central). The main shopping area for lower Westchester is White Plains. Lower Westchester is very close to the Long Island Sound, beach clubs/ tennis clubs- nothing except the Jersey shore for Tenafly. Schools and snob appeal are probably very similar for Tenafly and Scarsdale. Pelham, Rye and Bronxville also have good schools but are as sleepy as Tenafly.Schools are not so great in New Rochelle, Mt Vernon, Yonkers. Tenafly is very close to Manhattan by car, no train service. Great shopping and restaurants are very close in nearby Paramus and Hackensack malls.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:56 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,845,984 times
I wouldn't say that all of Westchester is dead , White Plains has a nice nightlife / restaurant scene... There are also numerous trails and biking routes in Westchester.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:09 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,882,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyddog View Post
Schools and snob appeal are probably very similar for Tenafly and Scarsdale.
You can't really compare a town to a whole county well, but, you could accurately say that Tenafly and Scarsdale are quite similar, with Scarsdale benefiting from the trains and Tenafly benefiting from relatively cheaper houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey