Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 10:50 PM

14 posts, read 44,204 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move from Cliffside Park, NJ to Emerson, NJ, and will continue to be commuting to NYC midtown (office is equidistant from Penn & PABT). I'm wondering whether it makes more sense to take the 165 bus or the train (transferring in Secaucus) from the Emerson Station (closest bus stop to the house is the train station).

According to NJ Transit & Google Maps, the train route may save ~10 minutes (and I'd imagine be more consistent), but it has the hassle of transfer and costs more (if convenient, I wouldn't mind an extra $50/mo). Insights on typical seating availability would be appreciated, as well.

Also, the monthly bus pass seems to be ~$153, but how does the monthly train pass work? The same monthly pass as the bus + separate pass for Secaucus to Penn Station?

If you also happen to have experience with Emerson Station parking space and/or bicycle storage (whether stored or locked in the open), your insight would also be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 10:52 PM

595 posts, read 1,559,159 times
Since you live in cliffside park, can you explain how fast your commute was?

Old 04-08-2012, 11:25 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
CSP is like 25-45minutes to PABT , Emerson is at least an 1hr to PABT either by train or bus....

Old 04-08-2012, 11:32 PM

Wow why such a range for CSP?

Old 04-09-2012, 02:50 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,254,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_nj View Post
According to NJ Transit & Google Maps, the train route may save ~10 minutes (and I'd imagine be more consistent), but it has the hassle of transfer and costs more (if convenient, I wouldn't mind an extra $50/mo). Insights on typical seating availability would be appreciated, as well.

Also, the monthly bus pass seems to be ~$153, but how does the monthly train pass work? The same monthly pass as the bus + separate pass for Secaucus to Penn Station?

If you also happen to have experience with Emerson Station parking space and/or bicycle storage (whether stored or locked in the open), your insight would also be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Seating availability will depend on what time you are commuting. There is only 1 pass for the train monthly. You show the conductor on the train, then put it through the gate at Secaucus. Alternatively, you can present your monthly train pass on the bus.

I don't think the train transfer in Secaucus is bad if you are commuting around peak times. Its probably worth mentioning that the 165 has an express route (165P I think) from exit 165 on the parkway straight to PABT, and there is a parking lot. I've never tried it, and it depends on what time obviously, but without traffic that should be a 40-50 minute ride to or from the city.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:31 AM

255 posts, read 455,905 times
If you buy a monthly train pass you have the option of using it on the bus. On the other hand, NJT doesn't let you use a monthly bus pass on the train.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:24 AM

14 posts, read 44,204 times
Thanks for the reply, all! So, train doesn't seem much more beneficial than bus for NYC commuters then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduflow View Post
Wow why such a range for CSP?
Usually it's 35-45 min for me on 156R (express via River Rd) from CSP to PABT, depending on Lincoln Tunnel traffic.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:12 AM

why do you want to move from cliffside park? is there anything in the area that you find lacking?

Old 04-10-2012, 06:39 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_nj View Post
Thanks for the reply, all! So, train doesn't seem much more beneficial than bus for NYC commuters then...

Usually it's 35-45 min for me on 156R (express via River Rd) from CSP to PABT, depending on Lincoln Tunnel traffic.
I have taken both the train and the bus in the past, and I would vote for the train any day. Of course, that depends upon where you are coming from and where in NYC you work.

Buses get caught up and stuck in traffic or in the XBL if another bus breaks down. Yes, trains get stuck, too, but it seems that buses are late more frequently than trains (although, with the trouble they've been having going into NY Penn in the past year, that might not be true anymore.)

Trains get through in all weather, buses, forget about it in the snow.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:21 AM

2,388 posts, read 2,342,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduflow View Post
why do you want to move from cliffside park? is there anything in the area that you find lacking?
Yeah I'd like to know this too. Considering Emerson's commute is alot more expensive and takes much longer to get to Midtown than Cliffside Park...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey