Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 07:49 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,691,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
Beyond the need to satisfy your curiosity, what would that prove? The topic is PD vs. private counsel.
It's very relevent to determine the possible consequences of possible inferior council.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 08:33 AM

341 posts, read 680,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
It's very relevent to determine the possible consequences of possible inferior council.
But you do not need to know what the charge is to determine the consequences of an inferior lawyer. The consequence would be a guilty verdict.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:56 PM

88,844 posts, read 85,240,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
I agree. I sat on a jury once on a murder trial, and I'm pretty sure one of those kids would not have gone to prison--or at least would have done much less time/been advised to plea to a lesser charge if his mother had been able to afford an attorney. His public defender just shoved him through the process.

The kid was 14 and present at a murder, but in another car parked some distance away from where the murder was actually taking place. Yet he was advised by his public defender to plead guilty to murder, and he went to juvenile prison for 15 years.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:14 PM

291 posts, read 978,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dakar View Post
But you do not need to know what the charge is to determine the consequences of an inferior lawyer. The consequence would be a guilty verdict.
But there is a huge difference between being found guilty of, say, a disorderly persons offense, and a violent felony. Even though you can be found guilty of both, the implications of being found guilty of the former are obviously vastly different from the latter.

While it may not be directly relevant to know the exact offense, the possible consequences of being convicted are highly relevant. If it were my kid, if there was any chance he could do jail time or have anything significant on his record that could cause issue with future employment, college admission, whatever, I'd be hiring the best lawyer I could afford.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:09 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,676,723 times
Quote:
But there is a huge difference between being found guilty of, say, a disorderly persons offense, and a violent felony.
That's simple common sense.

The fact is no one needs the charge to determine the down side of having a PD. The simple fact is that you are getting a lawyer that has a larger workload and in many cases less experienced. It makes zero difference if the charge is know to the world. I think they already know the more serious the charge, the more lengthy the possible sentence.

In fact, the OP isn't even sure they qualify for a PD. So the discussion is getting ahead of itself.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:33 PM

291 posts, read 978,896 times
Quote:

The fact is no one needs the charge to determine the down side of having a PD. The simple fact is that you are getting a lawyer that has a larger workload and in many cases less experienced. It makes zero difference if the charge is know to the world. I think they already know the more serious the charge, the more lengthy the possible sentence.

In fact, the OP isn't even sure they qualify for a PD. So the discussion is getting ahead of itself.
I just used that example to illustrate my point in simple terms--to put it back in context (since you chose to respond to only the first sentence of my explanation):

The "downside" of having a PD varies hugely depending on the charges. The downside of having a PD for a minor offense might be paying a fine and wasting your morning in court. The downside of having a PD for a major offense could be serious jail time. It's common sense that the risk--the downside--of gambling on a PD is not the same at all in those 2 scenarios.

As I explained above, I don't care what the charges are. My advice (as a lawyer, who has several prosecutors, PDs and private defense attorneys in the family, including my husband) was merely that you can't consider the question in a vacuum, irrespective of the charges.

I don't think anyone is arguing that it's generally better to have someone of your own choosing, who has more time to devote to your case, etc. However, the value of such an advantage varies dramatically depending on the possible consequences of having less-than-ideal representation.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:09 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,700,019 times
Quote:
Beyond the need to satisfy your curiosity, what would that prove? The topic is PD vs. private counsel.
Because there's a difference in getting legal help if it's something like a DUI or possession vs. a sex crime or a violent offense.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:11 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,700,019 times
Quote:

The OP has also rambled constantly about the trouble her family has been in. Hashtag blog, know what I'm saying?

Old 04-20-2012, 07:59 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,973,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Just remember......you get EXACTLY what you pay for.
Indeed. Even a bottom of the barrel attorney will be far more involved in the fate of your child than a public defender.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:51 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,691,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dakar View Post
The consequence of a guilty verdict for a dui is different than the consequences for grand larceny. This is just common sense
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: