Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 07:59 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,012,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
We looked at houses in Westfield. I always asked the question "why are they selling". And you really only get 1 of 3 answers.

1) The seller died and their kids are selling the house
2) The seller is moving out of state
3) The seller is buying a house somewhere else in town

Never heard
The seller is moving to XXX (where XXX is Scotch Plains, Cranford, Clark, ...)

When we looked at other towns, we would hear that the seller is moving to a different near by town
No $h!t sherlock. OP is the guy that wants the new preowned/Lexus but can't afford it. Therfore he has to settle for the toyota. If you can't afford it, its time to look at less expensive alternatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 06:21 PM

1,620 posts, read 3,773,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
No $h!t sherlock. OP is the guy that wants the new preowned/Lexus but can't afford it. Therfore he has to settle for the toyota. If you can't afford it, its time to look at less expensive alternatives.
always the idiot, and never adding anything useful on this site as usual. Wonder how much rent you pay to live in your parents basement

Old 05-06-2012, 07:19 PM

55 posts, read 113,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
The problem is these "smart, educated" people come on city data wanting to know the "best" place to live in NJ. Everyone here responds with the usual [insert city data top 5 towns to live in nj] and preaching how if the school isnt in nj top 10 and you cant "walk" to a coffee shop not named dunken donuts or starbucks" and brown people live there than its "not desireable". Which leads to folks like OP whining about not buying a house in Westfield for 600k.

Here's a tip, buy a house in Cranford. Or Scotch Plains, or Clark. If you want "Westfield" You have to pay to play keeping up with the joneses.
Oh beieve me, we looked in Scotch Plains and Cranford but aren't finding anything we like and with cranford the flood zone and hurricane damage is a real issue. we have friends who live there and all say stay away from homes who had major damage. even an inspector told us that and to be careful of houses that have new water heaters and new boilers bec that could be a sign of recent flooding. we like cranford a lot but nothing we like is coming up house-wise.

And we arent looking for a house near a starbucks or dunkin donuts. i dont even drink coffee and honestly none of the houses we can afford are within walking distance of the town so thats out. : )

Also, I was under the impression that WF's schools werent anywhere near the top 10. im not looking for top 10, just a good school district where parents care and get involved because, lets face it, parents who are involved with school.

Our house is sold here in BKLYN so we need to move now. im hoping the house we bid on works out. its small but its good for right now.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:38 AM

136 posts, read 240,355 times
Default Parallel lives

[quote=Tanisdrew;24187141]Oh beieve me, we looked in Scotch Plains and Cranford but aren't finding anything we like and with cranford the flood zone and hurricane damage is a real issue. we have friends who live there and all say stay away from homes who had major damage. even an inspector told us that and to be careful of houses that have new water heaters and new boilers bec that could be a sign of recent flooding. we like cranford a lot but nothing we like is coming up house-wise.

We must see each other at open houses in WF all the time since we are looking for roughly same thing in same town. I too looked around, but setlled on WF because it seemed like a nice, normal town. The schools were not in the top 10, there was inventory in my price range etc... But we had no luck last year, and this year the inventory looks like the dregs that did not sell last year. Is this it? Or will it pick up after school is out? I am getting nervous too because I have to move, but if you find a town that you like, you hope to find something, instead of simply switching to towns that you looked at before and did not like.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:24 AM

79 posts, read 153,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silly_mama2002 View Post
...... and this year the inventory looks like the dregs that did not sell last year.
Believe me, those that are nice in good neighborhood and priced correctly will get snatched up in a matter of days. We just got out bid on a WF property in a 6-party bidding war.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:01 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,012,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
always the idiot, and never adding anything useful on this site as usual. Wonder how much rent you pay to live in your parents basement
My parents basement? Pure comedy right there, are you doing sets anywhere local? Stress Factory in New Brunswick? Let me know. And why am I an idiot? You're the douche who came here spouting your "no one ever leaves westfield unless they die" edict.

What did I say that wasnt useful? OP is "whining" about not finding a house for 600k in westfield. Guess what? I want a $3K Rolex, I want a $500 Macbook Pro, I want a $30K 5 series BMW. Guess what? I can't have any of those thing for what I want to pay. So guess what, I have to either A) up my budget or B) Choose a less expensive alternative.

Maybe I'll go get a $3K Breitling Instead. Maybe I'll go get an HP laptop. Perhaps I'll have to settle for a 3 series instead of the 5.

How dumb would I be walking into a Rolex dealer complaining I can't "find" a watch for less than $5k. THATS HOW MUCH THEY COST! Let me walk into the Apple store and tell the rep that I want a macbook air for the price of an ipad. Lets see what they tell me.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:08 AM

136 posts, read 240,355 times
Default Why anger?

[
How dumb would I be walking into a Rolex dealer complaining I can't "find" a watch for less than $5k. THATS HOW MUCH THEY COST! Let me walk into the Apple store and tell the rep that I want a macbook air for the price of an ipad. Lets see what they tell me.[/quote]

Why so angry? We are just trying to figure how to buy a home in this town. It does not have a direct train to NYC, and the homes are rather old and somewhat decrepit. So, we are wondering about it. No need to make it personal.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:25 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,666,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silly_mama2002 View Post
[
How dumb would I be walking into a Rolex dealer complaining I can't "find" a watch for less than $5k. THATS HOW MUCH THEY COST! Let me walk into the Apple store and tell the rep that I want a macbook air for the price of an ipad. Lets see what they tell me.

Westfield IS the the Rolex shop. The houses there cost what they cost. It is a highly desirable neighborhood and your budget simply isn't enough to get what you want. There is absolutely nothing you, or anyone else on this board, can do about it. the only reasonable advice is to move your search to a less desirable town.

That's it, there really is nothing left to discuss.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:57 AM

91 posts, read 296,575 times
I know there seems to be alot of tension in this thread and dont want to contribute, but I would hate to have someone seriously considering Westfield to be left with the impression that I am reading.

As a 12-year resident of Westfield without the means to own a $5k Rolex watch (not sure I would want to anyway) and that just recently went under contract on my home under that elusive $600K mark, I have to say that Westfield, while affluent, is still accessible to middle/upper middle class families. Will you have to maybe sacrifice on location, house size, or house condition - yes, that is true. Are the taxes ridicuously high - yes (but, again, thats par for the course in NJ). However, for what you get in return, the value is immense! You will be hard-pressed to find WF residents who dislike this town or move to a neighboring town (as someone mentioned earlier). And, yes, I am one that falls in one of the categories described of why folks leave (moving out of state). There are many reasons why WF is so desirable. But besides the many amenities that people talk about (wonderful downtown, restaurants, parks, schools, NYC commute, and that wonderful downtown pool), it really is about the people. I find people here (in general) to be warm, embracing, open, and easy to make friends. Whatever your income, religion, race or sexual orientation - you will find folks here like you living in harmony (something I cant say about many surrounding towns).

So for those that cant (or wont) afford the blue blood lifestyle that some folks try to paint of my beautiful town, dont be discouraged...You will find your place here too! And, believe me, you will fall in love!!!!

Last edited by Suluki11; 05-08-2012 at 11:24 AM..

Old 05-08-2012, 11:06 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,830 times
Lightbulb Suggestion...

Maybe we could just start a sub-forum relating only to Westfield? Seems like it would get as much traffic as the sub-forum created for south jersey!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey