Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 03:22 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoodcrest1957 View Post
Boy, You said a Mouthfull! 15 Years i've been here. Thank God I worked for the Airlines, or I would have made Peanuts! Now retired as of February, and going back Home to NJ!
This is a new one. You worked out of Jersey and you are now retired and moving to New Jersey I guess I have it backwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 06:08 PM

70 posts, read 272,389 times
Default Let Me explain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
This is a new one. You worked out of Jersey and you are now retired and moving to New Jersey I guess I have it backwards.
I moved to the Orlando area 15 Years ago. I was Based out of Orlando International Airport. Now Retired as of 1/1/08 will be Moving back to NJ Got it?

Old 12-30-2007, 09:52 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,368,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoodcrest1957 View Post
Don't fool Yourself. Yes, many People are moving down to Florida, but MORE are Moving out! And I am one of them. Florida's Overrated, unfortunately it took Me 15 Years to find that out!
We have Many Floridians moving To Nashville because of the lucative Job Market here and low Real Estate Taxes. We've an an influx of Major Companies such as Nissan taking the move here.

Diane

Old 12-31-2007, 04:57 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
This thread caught my eye. Back when I graduated High School in NJ 30 years ago, the "in" thing to do was move to Florida. There was opportunity there so they said. Now my 30 Year HS reunion was this year held in Woodbridge and if I had to take a good accurate guess, maybe 40 plus % of the people at this reunion are now Florida residents. Which tells me of all those who ran to Florida after they graduated, few came back to NJ.

Me? I never went. I did leave a few more years after 1977. Ahh actually about 15 years later. I did go to Florida for the first time in my life in 2005 for a convention. I looked up and met several old HS pals. It was in both Orlando and St Petersburg areas. They love it there and I kinda liked it too. There was fishing everywhere. Water everywhere. Boating everywhere !

Old 01-01-2008, 06:18 AM

36 posts, read 83,853 times
I moved to Florida from New Jersey about 4 years ago --- looking to go back as soon as I can sell my house (hmmm...perhaps by the next Ice Age??). Hard to find good pizza and bagels!

Old 01-01-2008, 06:48 AM

467 posts, read 1,692,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syncmaster View Post
Move to Central Florida and do what, wear a Mickey costume for Disney? Or maybe become a cashier at Walgreen's.

Please, the job market there is garbage. If you have a highly marketable skillset and want good opportunity, Florida is the exact wrong place to be.
this is about as untrue as it gets. pretty much only those with highly marketable skills make top pay here. I make as much here as I can in nj. many of my firends also make the same money here. Those who are unmarketable make low pay here but i'm sure dont do much better in nj. In any case, someone with unmarketable skills probably can't sirvive in either place right now. I have the opportunity right now to return to nj and work for the company I came from for the same money I make now.
everyone thinks that central florida is mickey mouse. its not. thats also why many people are disapointed when they move here. they are expecting this and when they get here it is nothing more than life as usual with different weather.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:17 AM

36 posts, read 83,853 times
The job I was paid $80k-90k a year for in NJ pays between $50-60k here in FL. When a prospective employer tells me the salary, I ask "Is this job part-time?"
I'm not talking about small companies but national, big name companies. The urban myth about the lower cost of living in FL is just that. Sure, housing is cheaper, no state income tax, but that's about it.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:22 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloggerQueen View Post
Sure, housing is cheaper, no state income tax, but that's about it.
Thats what many people are looking for. If your retired you could save hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:57 AM

467 posts, read 1,692,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloggerQueen View Post
The job I was paid $80k-90k a year for in NJ pays between $50-60k here in FL. When a prospective employer tells me the salary, I ask "Is this job part-time?"
I'm not talking about small companies but national, big name companies. The urban myth about the lower cost of living in FL is just that. Sure, housing is cheaper, no state income tax, but that's about it.

maybe so. its mostly the engineering, science and other high tech jobs that central florida pays well for. the job i have in fl pays 80k and in nj it pays 80k. I have friends making over 100k here. thats all they made in nj. I dont know which jobs pay half but im sure they exist.
as for cost of living being lower here, thats up for grabs. It depends on house and location.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CURT View Post
maybe so. its mostly the engineering, science and other high tech jobs that central florida pays well for. the job i have in fl pays 80k and in nj it pays 80k. I have friends making over 100k here. thats all they made in nj. I dont know which jobs pay half but im sure they exist.
as for cost of living being lower here, thats up for grabs. It depends on house and location.
I agree. I've seen plenty of jobs in IT in the CFL area with good salaries. I guess it depends on your field. It's been 7 years since we moved to FL from Voorhees and the only reason we are considering moving back is to give our kids a shot at a good education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: