Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 09:43 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,951,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Boat View Post
We used to go to Action Park a couple times a summer from around '78 - 84 with my day camp. Needless to say, we freakin' loved that place.

1. I do remember a couple news stories about deaths in the tidal pool. Way too powerful and as someone said above, the lifeguards liked to conserve energy.

2. Everyone I know had some alpine sled injuries -- mostly lost skin from the concrete tracks.

3. On the jungle rope swim, you had to swing out a bit from where you started to clear this dock (or land) that was covered with some astroturf. I personally saw a kid start to swing and immediately let go of the rope and hit whatever that was. He left on a stretcher, leg probably broken, wailing.

4. Wedgies from the tall, high waterslide. Ayy.

5. I remember them building that loopdee-loop waterslide that Tahiti posted a picture of. Even as a little kid, I thought "they're going too far with this one."

6. Some juvenile delinquents from my town would go just to steal new sneakers from the cubbies of the tidal pool.

7. When we were in the parking lot by the van, waiting for the counsellors and other kids to show up to got home, we got razzed and smacked around by some guys that had to be in their 20's, probably drunk.

8. The safest attraction may have been the scariest one -- the cliff jumping. I guess I had a fear of heights but that was scarier than the other stuff.

Good times. Wouldn't let my kids near a place like that in a million years.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!! OMG Gravy - you hit it ON THE HEAD. Yes, it was FUN and I remember it well, despite my near death experiences there... but I would NEVER let my child go there EVER. LOL My Mom should have her head examimed for letting ME go.

And before I get "Ah we survived..." NOT everyone did... and can you imagine the pain of the families who have had to live with that... I can't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 10:59 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,163,956 times
i only went to Action Park once. I was never allowed to go as a child, but we went my senior year in high school, as a lame substitute for not having a senior class trip. It was a Day/Knight trip, with action park during the day, and midieval times at night. Problem was, I was in a leg brace from my ankle to my thigh. So what I wanted to do was have my parents drive me to Midieval Times after the day's festivities - after all, what the heck was there for someone to do who was in a leg brace.

I was told it was all or nothing.

So my memory of action park involves sitting outside of one of the places that was used as a ski lodge during the winter, for about 8 hours, watching the same magic act over and over and over again...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey