Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2012, 11:00 AM

5 posts, read 44,904 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are in our early 30s (32 and 30) and are looking to relocate from the Upper West Side to Glen Ridge and commute to NYC. A few questions:

1) Do you think we would feel too young in the area? We are starting a family soon, but by the time we move, we would probably only have an infant.

2) Is crime on the rise in Glen Ridge? We are concerned after reading about recent break-ins and that some of the surrounding areas seem less safe. Do you think there has been crime spillover into Glen Ridge?

3) Do you think that Glen Ridge is an area that is increasing or decreasing in value and why?

Thanks so much for your responses!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 09:30 AM

Also, do you think that people in Glen Ridge often make friends who live in Montclair? Thanks again!

Old 07-03-2012, 10:29 AM

24 posts, read 92,293 times
Hi,

By way of background, my wife and I recently purchased in Glen Ridge and will be moving in around November 1. We are both 33 and have a 1.5 year old and we are coming from Park Slope. This board helped us out quite a bit when we were narrowing our search so I am trying my best to pay it forward...

We purchased in Glen Ridge for a couple of reasons:

Firstly, the schools are great. We were a little hesitant to move now because of the fact that we will be paying those high taxes without reaping the school benefits for several years but we found a house we liked and couldn't say no.

Secondly, we just loved the community vibe. Everyone seems singularily focused on the community and that builds up from the kids. It seemed small and managable, while still having all that Montclair has to offer a few steps away. A bit of the best of both worlds...

Thirdly, the housing stock is just wonderful. Beautiful homes on beautiful streets.

Responding to your questions:

- I get the sense that we (and you) will be on the younger side, but that there are still plenty of folks our age. In a community with taxes as high as Glen Ridge, it seems like there is a higher than average turnover of homes. People raise their kids there and then get out (when we were looking at houses, the number of 18th birthday and graduation balloons we saw was almost hilarious). In other words, you may be ahead of the curve but that curve will fill in quickly over the next couple of years.

- We were concerned about this a little bit as well, but break-ins are a tough way to measure crime. Rarely is the person that is breaking in coming from the community in question. Think about it, if you were a thief, where would you go? Community crime on the other hand seems pretty non-existent. We are moving pretty close to the Bloomfield border and do not feel uncomfortable at all.

- Glen Ridge home values have been moving higher (we were in a bidding war). In a community with such a strong school system, homes there will always be in demand.

- I would imagine that people are allowed to cross the tracks to make friends in Montclair as long as they were back in Glen Ridge before curfew. J/K.

Hopefully this was helpful and if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to reach out. We were (re: are) really nervous about this move and we would be happy to help in any way we can.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:39 AM

Thanks so much!! Your response was really helpful. Good luck on your move - it sounds like it will be great!

Old 07-03-2012, 11:28 AM

91 posts, read 375,809 times
You have nothing to worry about in terms of being too young, area crime and decreasing value in Glen Ridge. We have a constant flow of young people in their thirties from the city and urban towns like Hoboken moving into town and starting families. Through the recession, the Glen Ridge housing market remained relatively stable and prices are now on the rise again. There continues to be a lot of demand for housing and not a great deal of inventory in Glen Ridge so there are often multiple bids on homes for sale. People are attracted to the beautful surroundings and housing stock and are pleased with the public school's consistent high scores in the rankings.

And there is no crime to speak of. Part of that is due to the fact that there is no downtown to attract crime or rowdiness. There are thefts from cars and home break-ins that exist in any town across the country. You can call the Glen Ridge Police Department and get their take on it.

Yes, you will make friends in Montclair because most of the shopping, entertainment and activities take place in the neighboring town of Montclair. You'll find you'll make friends in Montclair and in other area town's fitness centers, food and home shopping stores, churches and synagoges, nail salons... what have you. Most of the friends you'll make will probably start in your own neighborhood, mommy groups and preK schools, the library, the town pool and on your commute and will later solidify with parents of kids in the Glen Ridge school system your kids will eventually attend.

But I'd say, don't rule out Montclair when shopping for a home in Glen Ridge. I'm sure you know it's been called the Upper Westside West (or something like that) as well as Park Slope West. I think you will be happy in either town. Don't overthink it.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:41 PM

Thanks so much!!

Old 07-03-2012, 12:41 PM

478 posts, read 1,229,530 times
I'd echo everything that has been said here, though I really enjoyed living in the city with small kids. That being said, prices are on the rise and interest rates can't remain this low forever so it's a good time to buy (that's seems to be a common sentiment). There is some pent up demand as buyer's waited for prices to bottom so there is an immediate shortage of houses and, yes, bidding wars are common. I don't think prices will recede in the next 2 years, but they won't increase the way they have this year over last (5-10%?) As for crime, with the price of gold, I'm surprised it isn't worse. Keep your back door locked. Most thieves never make it past what they can grab in the kitchen. Most of our friends ar from town (mainly thru kids), but I have GR friends from soccer and church.

Lobster, have you met my buyers from Park Slope with the twins that will be on Hillside? I'll have to make sure you meet.

- Rich

Old 07-03-2012, 01:04 PM

478 posts, read 1,229,530 times
double post

Last edited by MontclairNative; 07-03-2012 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: double post

Old 07-04-2012, 06:27 AM

390 posts, read 1,366,906 times
Just my two cents after having recently moved out of Glen Ridge.

1. The town is mostly young families. You should fit in perfect.
2. Property crime per capita in Glen Ridge is amongst the highest in the state. Break ins are frequent, and part of the downside of living in such a beautiful town is you need to be on alert all the time (especially in warmer weather. Most crimes are committed by people walking from neighboring towns. The town, to a certain extent, can feel like a peninsula surrounded by rough waters so to speak). Get an alarm and keep your doors and windows locked at all times. That being said, violent crime is virtually non existent. If anything does go wrong, the Glen Ridge police are the fastest responders I've ever seen in my life. If you want more specific information on your street, do a search through the Glen Ridge police blotter for its name. They publish a detailed blotter weekly. And property crime is up slightly from a few years ago, but down greatly from most of recent history.
3. Property values in The Ridge are still red hot, and bidding wars are common. The general rule is the more move in ready, the faster it sells.
4. We just moved from Glen Ridge to Montclair. Though you'll most likely make your new friends through your kids at school, you'll be doing most of your socializing in Montclair so I don't see why not!

Old 07-05-2012, 06:08 AM

40 posts, read 140,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJHouseHunter13 View Post
2) Is crime on the rise in Glen Ridge? We are concerned after reading about recent break-ins and that some of the surrounding areas seem less safe. Do you think there has been crime spillover into Glen Ridge
Crime is never on the rise in Glen Ridge, it is a very small town and the police are very active. The residents of Glen Ridge actually care about the town. Don't expect to see gang violence or drug crews hanging out on Bloomfield Ave, it doesn't happen in that town. It will always have property crime though. It is usually either car theft or home break ins. That is the price you pay for having very nice homes and living near some not so nice areas. But other neighborhoods in essex county have the same issues. As a previous poster the people committing these crimes aren't typically Glen Ridge residents. They usually come over from Newark, East Orange and the not so nice parts of Montclair, Bloomfield and West Orange.

For a family, it is a great place to live and the surrounding area does have a lot to offer, it is a very convenient location. Just remember, lock your cars up and don't leave valuables sitting in your back seat or even your front yard. Have an alarm put in your house and make sure when you are gone to keep windows and doors locked up. Ridgewood ave is a main thoroughfare for people to jog, run and bike. It is a very heavily traveled road which can be a good thing. Just be aware of anyone suspicious you see wandering the area.

I live in Bloomfield, literally 2 blocks from Ridgewood Ave so I know the area well, If I was raising a family, and had money to spend on a house I would not hesitate to live in Glen Ridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey