Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 10:39 AM

667 posts, read 1,745,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
But the baby boomers were the most spoiled generation up until that time when they were coming up in the 50s & 60s. Their parents did the sacrificing of WWII and they had an unprecedented run of economic benefits & good jobs almost their entire lives. It was when we used to have a strong middle class before Reagan.

And crime was much higher overall in the 1970s. Not sure blaming generations or "all of us" is the answer.

Agree. Also, according to some postings I've read on other sites, her dad is a retired police officer and the mom a teacher. If that's the case, you would think the parents would be pretty well balanced and skilled in raising her daughter with all the right ethics and morals. But one really never knows what goes on behind closed doors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 10:49 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,078,063 times
without her makeup on...

Google Image Result for http://i48.tinypic.com/qoasr9.png

Old 07-30-2012, 12:56 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,415,106 times
I dont know maybe its must me. I am not very old but I do see a big drop off in the lack of respect kids have not a days. Also see a big baby jesus phenomena going on with parents. Again maybe its me but I feel a lot us are responsible for giving our kids too much.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:26 PM

88,623 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZM91 View Post
Danny Tamberelli, bringing me back to watching that show growing up
Thanks--his name totally escaped me!

Old 07-30-2012, 01:46 PM

88,623 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
I dont know if this has been said but WE are all to blame. As a country we are raising a generation of aholes. Kids who get everything,need everything,want everything and then cry when they dont get it. Children are not taught patience,values,empathy or pretty much anything from their parents. Parents have the baby jesus syndrome where they think the entire world revolves around their kids. Think about how life has been made soo much easier for kids to act as idiots within the past 25 years and then you will understand why we have people such as this clown laughing in a mug shot.
Speak for yourself. I taught my kid those things, and I taught her that she is a part of the larger world and that she has a responsibility to see beyond herself.

Last week I was with her in Albany and we passed an accident that just happened. No cops or EMTs were yet on the scene. An Asian woman was lying in the grass with a crowd around her. My daughter remembered that she was in a neighborhood where a lot of recent Asian immigrants live, so she pulled over and jumped out of the car to see if she could be of use as a translator.

I waited for a little while (my elderly mother was also in the car) and then went to see what was happening. The cops and EMTs were there, and my daughter was on her knees on the ground next to the victim, translating the EMTs questions to the victim and responding back with the answers in English to the EMTs, questions about where she felt pain, whether she could breathe or if she had chest pains, was she allergic to anything, etc.

The weird part was that at the end, the victim told my daughter that she was a doctor herself and she spoke English, but that probably as a result of whacking her head, she was only able at that moment to speak the Sichuan dialect, her first language. My daughter is a Mandarin and linguistics major in college, but she spent four months last year living in Chengdu in the Sichuan province and had picked up the dialect.

They got the victim into the ambulance, and the EMT turned to my daughter and said, "You earned yourself some karma points today."

My kid is not the only decent human being under 21 out there. Most of her friends are responsible, thoughtful young people who care about the world they live in. It's just that kids like that don't make the news.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:50 PM

I actually was not speaking from personal experience. I have two younger children and some people say I am too strict or too rigid but I guess that is just my way. One thing I will tell you is my children will always say please,excuse me or thank you because I expect it from them and they know this at a young age. Maybe I am nuts and only time will judge me.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Speak for yourself. I taught my kid those things, and I taught her that she is a part of the larger world and that she has a responsibility to see beyond herself.

Last week I was with her in Albany and we passed an accident that just happened. No cops or EMTs were yet on the scene. An Asian woman was lying in the grass with a crowd around her. My daughter remembered that she was in a neighborhood where a lot of recent Asian immigrants live, so she pulled over and jumped out of the car to see if she could be of use as a translator.

I waited for a little while (my elderly mother was also in the car) and then went to see what was happening. The cops and EMTs were there, and my daughter was on her knees on the ground next to the victim, translating the EMTs questions to the victim and responding back with the answers in English to the EMTs, questions about where she felt pain, whether she could breathe or if she had chest pains, was she allergic to anything, etc.

The weird part was that at the end, the victim told my daughter that she was a doctor herself and she spoke English, but that probably as a result of whacking her head, she was only able at that moment to speak the Sichuan dialect, her first language. My daughter is a Mandarin and linguistics major in college, but she spent four months last year living in Chengdu in the Sichuan province and had picked up the dialect.

They got the victim into the ambulance, and the EMT turned to my daughter and said, "You earned yourself some karma points today."

My kid is not the only decent human being under 21 out there. Most of her friends are responsible, thoughtful young people who care about the world they live in. It's just that kids like that don't make the news.
By the way your kids sounds like an awesome person. You should be very proud.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:56 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,683,529 times
Quote:

Your daughter sounds wonderful and kudos to you for raising her that way!

Old 07-30-2012, 08:42 PM

153 posts, read 377,527 times
Quote:

I could've sworn uAlbany got rid of linguistics when I went
Besides that, very good deed done, some of us "younger generation" people aren't too bad.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:28 AM

1,352 posts, read 1,532,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
But the baby boomers were the most spoiled generation up until that time when they were coming up in the 50s & 60s. Their parents did the sacrificing of WWII and they had an unprecedented run of economic benefits & good jobs almost their entire lives. It was when we used to have a strong middle class before Reagan.

And crime was much higher overall in the 1970s. Not sure blaming generations or "all of us" is the answer.

Well the spoiled baby boomers or baby boomer babies are spoiling the next generation.

In a way the media is to blame, tv shows like the Sopranos, etc. beat up people and noone ever pays the consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey