Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 08:54 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,323,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpan View Post
Interesting - Can I use that argument and say , since I have already paid the lawyer to show up at this date, I would like to court to dismiss this or reimburse me for an that off-duty officers no show ?

Also , any tips on what questions/follow-ups should I have for the lawyer incase the person shows up . I have already got a lawyer. Just want to make sure he is running a good laundry list of things.

I also have a witness in my wife who was with me at that time . I am contemplating taking her to the court as she is 7+ months pregnant , not sure if it may help in anyway.
No you won't get reimbursed. The lawyer knows what questions to ask the officer. The thing you have to decide is are you willing to accept a plea bargin? In all likelyhood, you will be offered something like, "hey we will toss two of these tickets, but the unsafe driving stays."

The only way that you get the officer on the stand is if you're willing to fight the whole thing by saying "not guilty". Then the prosecution has to PROVE that you are guilty of the charges. The prosecutor will pin their entire case on the officer's testimony. It's your lawyer's job to take apart the officer's testimony, not make excuses for your driving.

In my case, I didn't care if I got any tickets. I had no wife, kids, etc. I told my lawyers, I want that officer on the stand. Once the officer realized that he was going to be cross examined about his aggressive driving, cutting off civilians, etc. he didn't want to take the stand. Your situation is different. Your witness will take the stand. He has nothing to ashamed of.

Good luck... ML
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 09:46 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,588,795 times
My guess is the other person will not show up, but that is just my guess. he might figure you will just plead guilty and pay. If you took turns alternate merging I don't see anything wrong with that.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:02 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,663,583 times
Quote:
You can get a moving violation in the mail? I thought that unless you were stopped and written up by a police officer that it was like a parking ticket
Statute of limitation for mv violations for most cases is 30 days.

Quote:
I would like to court to dismiss this or reimburse me for an that off-duty officers no show ?
You seem to be a bit confused. The Complainant will be appearing, . If all the officer did was issue the summons, he/she will NOT be appearing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey