Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2012, 09:57 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
Yes, I do have a good idea, as i've driven in many parts of my area. I do know they are working as fast as they can, and am not criticizing the current workers. I have reported downed lines in my area. I don't own a chainsaw, but I've been clearing debris in my neighborhood when I was home on Tuesday and a little bit last night after my wife got home to watch the kids.

P.S. My father works for PPL in Pennsylvania, so I understand fully what it takes to repair lines, substations, and transformers. PSE&G seems to have been prepared for much less damage, which i don't entirely fault them for, but as soon as they realized damage was worse, they should have imported more crews from outside area.

PPL brought up crews from Kentucky on Saturday before the storm started. They brought crews in from other parts of the country as well. 4400 people working for PPL, vs. 1500 for PSE&G...I think it's appropriate to be a little disappointed with the response.
There are crews on their way from a number of states to help, including Florida. But it's not like they can beam them up. They need to gather a crew able to travel, get the trucks readied for a long distance, and then drive there which can take 2-3 days. Normally they would bring in aid from PA, OH, VA, WV, etc. but those folks are busy dealing with their own issues right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 10:00 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,408,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
There are crews on their way from a number of states to help, including Florida. But it's not like they can beam them up. They need to gather a crew able to travel, get the trucks readied for a long distance, and then drive there which can take 2-3 days. Normally they would bring in aid from PA, OH, VA, WV, etc. but those folks are busy dealing with their own issues right now.
i understand all of this....which is why those crews should have been arriving by today, once we knew half the state was out of power.

i honked my horn and thanked the crews i passed this morning - i'm not criticizing their work, i'm criticizing PSE&G's preparedness. I know you can't plan for everything, but some companies handle things better than others.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:03 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,100,368 times
Quote:
If PSE&G expect a week to 10 days, that is essentially everyone still without power?! I'm patient, as my father works for PPL in Pennsylvania, but I wish they would give us an explanation of what is taking that amount of time. PPL has 4400 people working in Pennsylvania, while PSE&G has 1500. There are still so many downed power lines - it's shocking to me that they've let them sit there this long - huge public safety hazard.
PSEG and JCPL are going to address the more rural (in a relative sense) areas last.

That's the way I look at it at least.

The thing I have noticed is the more west you are, the more likely you are to be without power for a LONG time.

Friends in Bergen, Hudson and Essex county have had power back since yesterday and technically they got hit a lot harder.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
PSEG and JCPL are going to address the more rural (in a relative sense) areas last.

The thing I have noticed is the more west you are, the more likely you are to be without power for a LONG time.

Friends in Bergen, Hudson and Essex county have had power back since yesterday and technically they got hit a lot harder.
^^^
This.

My husband got a call at his squad house two days ago from the power company explaining what they are doing and how they are doing it. First they need to repair main lines and substations. Then they prioritize for hospitals, nursing homes, prisons, fire stations, etc. After that it goes by population density. The more dense you are, the faster your get power back. The idea is to restore to as many people as possible as fast as possible AFTER the priority list. The most rural areas will be restored last.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:

Of course....but i live in West Orange, 50,000+ residents, where it's reported that 80% are without power.

Most of Essex County is still without power. Maplewood, West Orange, parts of the Caldwells, etc. Many people in Livingston.

If it's a substation issue, I understand more...but they won't give any details, just general statements. It's frustrating is all.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
^^^
This.

My husband got a call at his squad house two days ago from the power company explaining what they are doing and how they are doing it. First they need to repair main lines and substations. Then they prioritize for hospitals, nursing homes, prisons, fire stations, etc. After that it goes by population density. The more dense you are, the faster your get power back. The idea is to restore to as many people as possible as fast as possible AFTER the priority list. The most rural areas will be restored last.
absolutely. generation, substation, and then transformers. then they get to power lines. emergency buildings should all be restored by now, unless it was a result of a much larger problem.

Also - it helps if people report local issues, which not everyone realizes, because it gives PSE&G (and others) better information about what is still damaged.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
absolutely. generation, substation, and then transformers. then they get to power lines. emergency buildings should all be restored by now, unless it was a result of a much larger problem.

Also - it helps if people report local issues, which not everyone realizes, because it gives PSE&G (and others) better information about what is still damaged.
HA! My husband's station is still without power and the power company told him it could be another week to 10 days. Major feeder lines are down in Middlesex, Somerset, Hunterdon, and points south.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:22 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,100,368 times
Quote:
Of course....but i live in West Orange, 50,000+ residents, where it's reported that 80% are without power.

Most of Essex County is still without power. Maplewood, West Orange, parts of the Caldwells, etc. Many people in Livingston.

If it's a substation issue, I understand more...but they won't give any details, just general statements. It's frustrating is all.
Yea, it's frustrating to me too.

I live in the boonies, relatively speaking (Western Morris).

And the damage around me wasn't really that bad. They could probably have had it up and running by yesterday, but they have chosen to focus their manpower in other areas.

The towns you listed I would consider urban suburbs. I would think they are high on the priority list, you guys just sustained a lot of damage.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
HA! My husband's station is still without power and the power company told him it could be another week to 10 days. Major feeder lines are down in Middlesex, Somerset, Hunterdon, and points south.
that's terrible. The power company shouldn't be leaving emergency stations without power for that amount of time...that only makes my criticism more valid.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Yea, it's frustrating to me too.

I live in the boonies, relatively speaking (Western Morris).

And the damage around me wasn't really that bad. They could probably have had it up and running by yesterday, but they have chosen to focus their manpower in other areas.

The towns you listed I would consider urban suburbs. I would think they are high on the priority list, you guys just sustained a lot of damage.
That's the thing...there's really not a lot of damage within West Orange itself. Which is why, I really just wish they gave more details to us. I guess, I probably understand a bit more of what's going on because my dad talks about this stuff all the time.

Anyways...hopefully you get power soon. It's tough living in the boonies in times like these.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey