Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 10:35 AM

88,669 posts, read 84,974,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
It's often more a matter of priorities. I wonder how many who claim they can't afford a $20 car charger have no problem spending that in a week or a month or even a year at Starbucks?
How is that your concern what other people spend their discretionary income on? And why is a car charger a "priority item" for everyone? I have one and rarely used it even when my auto's electrical system was working properly. A person's lifestyle might not dictate that they need one--and when it MIGHT come to mind, such as when a monster storm is coming, someone unemployed might very well not have $20 in their pocket at that moment to run out and buy one. Also, if you don't have a CAR, a car charger doesn't do you a heck of a lot of good, either. I have an unemployed friend who can no longer afford to keep a vehicle. If she wants to buy a couple of cups of coffee a week, I'm not going to sneer down at her and tell her she's not prioritizing properly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
I was living in NJ during 9/11, so don't lecture me about that. I've also lived through hurricanes in Florida, and have seen firsthand the people who refuse to spend a few minutes and have a plan to help themselves here as well.

I'm not young, I'm in my 50's and have lived through more tragedy than you'll ever know.
Then I'm doubly puzzled by your unkindness and lack of empathy.

Quote:
I'm just astounded by the people who didn't have what most would consider basic necessities to have in their home. Flashlights, battery operated radios, shelf stable food.
Well, since I never thought of the battery-operated radio, I guess I'm on your point-and-sneer list, too. Enjoy.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:41 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,989,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
you are providing great info, but there is a touch of a condescending and smug attitude, especially when someone disagrees with you.

annerk - please pause and read the above post again, before responding as if you have been attacked. It is on the money, and I look forward to more of your informative posts.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:44 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,097,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
How is that your concern what other people spend their discretionary income on? And why is a car charger a "priority item" for everyone? I have one and rarely used it even when my auto's electrical system was working properly. A person's lifestyle might not dictate that they need one--and when it MIGHT come to mind, such as when a monster storm is coming, someone unemployed might very well not have $20 in their pocket at that moment to run out and buy one. Also, if you don't have a CAR, a car charger doesn't do you a heck of a lot of good, either. I have an unemployed friend who can no longer afford to keep a vehicle. If she wants to buy a couple of cups of coffee a week, I'm not going to sneer down at her and tell her she's not prioritizing properly.
I said earlier "if they have a car."

I don't really care if they what they do, but if they don't take basic measures towards self-sufficiency, they have no right to complain when they aren't prepared for a disaster. that's all I'm saying.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:50 AM

334 posts, read 732,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
If your itinerary for today included both some remote areas of Sussex County and the hard-hit parts of Hudson County (prior to returning back for a few stops in Central NJ), I think that you would also think it prudent to fill your tank before setting out on that trip with unknown power supply and gas supply situations. Would you really set out on that trip with just 1/2 a tank of gas?

My point is that nobody--from afar--really knows what someone else's needs might be.

I agree...i drive 40 miles round trip to work and my schedule is such that I won't be abe to get gas until Friday which is 2 odd days from now. Waited on line today to refill even though I was half full.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:52 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,421,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjd72 View Post
This is bothering the hell out of me why would you sit online for gas when you have enough to last a normal week? There are some out there that are looking for it that need it!
cause it's NJ...when did "need" ever dictate what people here do?

Old 11-05-2012, 10:55 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,307,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjd72 View Post
This is bothering the hell out of me why would you sit online for gas when you have enough to last a normal week? There are some out there that are looking for it that need it!

Why do you buy that 2nd loaf of bread when it is on sale when obviously you don't NEED it because you already have one loaf in your grocery cart. It is the same basic concept with being IN line for gasoline.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon-Hate View Post
I agree...i drive 40 miles round trip to work and my schedule is such that I won't be abe to get gas until Friday which is 2 odd days from now. Waited on line today to refill even though I was half full.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
cause it's NJ...when did "need" ever dictate what people here do?
People have an innate urge to get on lines when they see them. I'm only half-kidding--they've actually done experiments on this in the city. People will get on line even when they don't know what the line is for!

Old 11-05-2012, 10:57 AM

334 posts, read 732,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't think so, based on the people I've been interacting with. Most people do have common sense and are resourceful, and there have been enough open gas stations around, albeit with some lines, that there really was no reason to drive 50 miles for gas.

I know you've provided some information that has been useful, but maybe you should lose the smug and condescending attitude that you're so much smarter than all the people who are actually in the midst of this disaster while you watch from your safe and distant vantage point. Not nice.

People's suffering and problems from this storm are not for your entertainment purposes.
^ Well said. Too much Monday morning quarterbacking going on lately.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:58 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,307,619 times
Quote:
I said earlier "if they have a car."

I don't really care if they what they do, but if they don't take basic measures towards self-sufficiency, they have no right to complain when they aren't prepared for a disaster. that's all I'm saying.

Being quite defensive there even though you made a statement WITHOUT knowing ALL the details....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey