Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 06:00 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times

Advertisements

How are you coping?

Luckily for me, my parents regained power last Thursday, so I was able to stay with them. Without that crutch, I'd be one freezing, grumpy dude.

How are you guys dealing?

Staying out of the house all day? Fireplaces?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 07:29 AM

1,422 posts, read 3,442,177 times
im in aberdeen and have been without power since the 30th, seems like everyone else is getting power back around us but nothing as of today,we do have a generator we run only at night to watch tv power 2 lights and coffee pot. we do have a fireplace but wood is running low,i use a 2 burner propane stove to cook when its too cold to cook on grill outside,use only the cooler to keep stuff cold,My husband and i work all day and drop off my daughter at inlaws in matawan who have power just turned on last night we are being told that all power in aberdeen should be restored by NOV 10th,hoping this storm does not slow that down.
we are trying to make the best of it i have to say using 3 blankets one being a down comforter at night in bed is so warm i do not want to get up.. we are trying to make the best of it,i have to say its probably the best family time we have ever spent together.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:43 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb8997 View Post
im in aberdeen and have been without power since the 30th, seems like everyone else is getting power back around us but nothing as of today,we do have a generator we run only at night to watch tv power 2 lights and coffee pot. we do have a fireplace but wood is running low,i use a 2 burner propane stove to cook when its too cold to cook on grill outside,use only the cooler to keep stuff cold,My husband and i work all day and drop off my daughter at inlaws in matawan who have power just turned on last night we are being told that all power in aberdeen should be restored by NOV 10th,hoping this storm does not slow that down.
we are trying to make the best of it i have to say using 3 blankets one being a down comforter at night in bed is so warm i do not want to get up.. we are trying to make the best of it,i have to say its probably the best family time we have ever spent together.
Aw Deb that is such a positive outlook. Keeping my fingers & toes crossed your power is restored soon!!!

Old 11-07-2012, 08:32 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
The people I know who are without power have given up and are staying with friends or relatives except one who lives in a house heated mostly by a wood burning stove. They play a lot of board games by battery operated lantern in the evening and the gas is on so they've been able to use the stove top and have hot water.

They live at the end of a long, heavily wooded street in a very rural area with a lot of the power poles down, and aren't expecting to have power on for a couple of weeks--hoping by Thanksgiving! They've been cooking everything they can in the freezer on the cook top and bought bags of ice and emptied the fridge and freezer into that. They have stores with power 15 minutes away, so they'll just buy perishables as needed once they run out of things to cook in the house.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:28 AM

244 posts, read 598,066 times
Still without power in Old Bridge...the last time we stayed at the house was Sunday..now we are wondering around NJ staying with friends and family - I've hit my breaking point.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:55 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
I was out today and overheard someone say a street in my town won't have power until 12/16. My husband heard yesterday some neighborhoods won't have power until Thanksgiving. I'm hoping with all my might this isn't true.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:05 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I was out today and overheard someone say a street in my town won't have power until 12/16. My husband heard yesterday some neighborhoods won't have power until Thanksgiving. I'm hoping with all my might this isn't true.
Well lets hope the new storm does not have heavy winds as anything over 40 mph the lineman can not be up in buckets and that will be precious hours lost restoring power.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:17 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I can believe Thanksgiving, but I'm having a hard time buying December 16th.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:20 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Well lets hope the new storm does not have heavy winds as anything over 40 mph the lineman can not be up in buckets and that will be precious hours lost restoring power.
it's already pretty gusty. my kids have been out of school this whole time, out tomorrow and friday is iffy (i give it a 10% chance school opens). i think people don't realize the destruction inland.

stay safe everyone.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:21 AM

4,287 posts, read 10,769,895 times
I just got power back last night.

I agree with reaching the breaking point. I was playing nice until Monday morning or so. Then I became angry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey