Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 12:52 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,981,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
They are not my criteria, they are those of the OP. I could personally live in a motor home. She wants a younger home in extremely good condition that does not need to be fixed up or updated. You simply won't find that in Mendham for $850,000. I appraise them every day, I have seen them, I have photographed them, I have measured them, I have slithered through their crawl spaces, and dripped perspiration in their stifling attics. I have breathed them. Young means about 10 years old. 27 out of 30 listings in the Mendhams were built not in 2000, not in 1990, not in 1980, but prior to 1972. Heck, most of these homes probably have lead paint!

Doesn't mean there isn't a buyer for them. Plenty of people will happily occupy a "charming" home, with charming meaning "needs everything". In Mendham they will sell in 30 days. But they do not meet the needs of the OP, and that is just a fact.
No, you are wrong. OP stated priorities were for schools and commute and then specifically stated "3-4 bedrooms, 2.5-3 bath, nicely done. I don't mind an older home, as long as it is updated well."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 01:25 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
No, you are wrong. OP stated priorities were for schools and commute and then specifically stated "3-4 bedrooms, 2.5-3 bath, nicely done. I don't mind an older home, as long as it is updated well."
Wow, you underlined "wrong". That must mean emphasis!

Regrettably, you didn't read this more recent post: "The longer I look, the better new construction is looking since we want something updated and move in ready."

Their preferences have evolved, and the 70's Colonial with the pink flamingos that needs work is now off the list. Let's keep up people!

Old 04-26-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Wow, you underlined "wrong". That must mean emphasis!

Regrettably, you didn't read this more recent post: "The longer I look, the better new construction is looking since we want something updated and move in ready."

Their preferences have evolved, and the 70's Colonial with the pink flamingos that needs work is now off the list. Let's keep up people!
You manage to read to fit your perception. The key is clearly "updated and move in ready". So new construction could fit that, but she also clearly states that new construction does not seem to be available (except for homes with other issues such as busy road, electrical wires, etc) where she is looking. While I am sure she would accept new construction, all of the rest of her criteria are pointing towards an updated home that is probably well over 10 years old.

I would expect a realtor to pick up on all of these relevant signals, and not just on the ones that fit their pre-conceived notions. And they also would have understood that "the 70's Colonial with the pink flamingos that needs work" was never on their list.

(Oh, and as for formatting text, I suppose underlining would be as meaningful as your usage of italics)

Last edited by HalfFull; 04-26-2013 at 02:12 PM..

Old 04-26-2013, 01:55 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
while the decor may not suit the OP, it's only cosmetic. this house seems to fit the bill?

5 Walsingham Rd, Mendham, NJ 07945 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

or....

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...75-59738?row=4 (may be too much land tho for OP).

or

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...0-05943?row=12

ok i'm done.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:05 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,940,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
There are a few in Mendham that would appear to meet the OP's criteria, though not very many.

By the way, your second one, on Ursula Dr, is actually in Randolph, with a Mendham Zip Code.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:07 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,455,142 times
Quote:
Mendham Twp and Borough are really out of their range. $700,000 to $900,000 gets you a pretty bad 4BR Colonial built in 1975 and usually needing all kinds of updating. Transferees stay away from that type of thing. They would need $1,500,000 to get a "transferee-class" house in Mendham.

Marc, you are totally incorrect, there are many wonderful homes in both Mendham Twp as well as the Borough, that meet ALL of the OP's criteria. Yes, some of the homes are older, but they have been well maintained, and updated. Such as this listing: 16 Horizon Drive, Mendham NJ - Trulia or this one: 12 Florie Farm Road, Mendham NJ - Trulia And a more recently built home (in the 90's) 15 Devonshire Lane, Mendham NJ - Trulia I only did a quick search and included only three links, but there are ~50 homes currently listed for sale in the Mendhams under 900K, many of them meet the OP's criteria. (Note I am not a realtor, nor do I have any vested interest in any property posted, I merely am well familiar with the area, and happy to share my knowledge.)

KoalaNJ

Old 04-26-2013, 02:11 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,455,142 times
Just for clarity, the Ursula Ct home is actually located in Randolph, (near the Mendham Twp border) but has a mailing address of Mendham.

Both the Walsingham and Devonshire Lane properties are located in the Drakewick development in Mendham Twp, which was built in the 90's. The homes are all on roughly .5 to 1 acre lots, the development has sidewalks and is located very close to downtown Mendham Borough, (walking distance, only a couple of blocks!) They are also on both public water and sewer.

KoalaNJ

Last edited by KoalaNJ; 04-26-2013 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: add additional info

Old 04-26-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
There are a few in Mendham that would appear to meet the OP's criteria, though not very many.

By the way, your second one, on Ursula Dr, is actually in Randolph, with a Mendham Zip Code.
ah. i have the same problem where i live. seems like those owners want the appearance of a mendham location (not that I blame them).

Old 04-26-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
ah. i have the same problem where i live. seems like those owners want the appearance of a mendham location (not that I blame them).
I always thought it was because the Mendham post office serviced those homes (similar to section of Parsippany that has Morris Plains zip code); maybe because Randolph was originally a part of Mendham.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
I always thought it was because the Mendham post office serviced those homes (similar to section of Parsippany that has Morris Plains zip code); maybe because Randolph was originally a part of Mendham.
it's probably the former. if you live in my town you can have 1 of *7* different mailing zip codes/towns, spanning 3 counties. it's crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey