Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 03:23 PM

280 posts, read 603,902 times

Advertisements

Having written the review in a hurry, I now realize did not make it very balanced. The people in Mendham were really nice! Very proper, polite, and kind. It was hard to part and to explain to our neighbors that Mendham wasn't enough for us personally.

We moved to Westfield. No town is perfect. We were very picky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunbelle View Post
I'm happy to know there is a Trader Joes! What about a Super Target, Lowes, etc. near these towns? I looked up some online pics of Madison and it looked so cute! We are visiting/house hunting in march, but I am just so antsy for as much info as possible, since we will only have a week to narrow down our search areas for housing. Soooo, keep the info/opinions coming!!!
From Mendham, you will need to drive up north to Rte.10 for all the big box stores. They will stretch all the way west from Roxbury/Succasunna (Wal Mart, Macys, Ashley Furniture, Barnes and Noble, Home Depot, Panera Bread, Kohls, and an awesome Ramsey Outdoor Store), all the way east to East Hanover (Super Target, BabiesRUs, Best Buy, Chipotle, Panera Bread). Off the top of my head, Chester has Shop Rite, Marshalls, Staples, Gap, Banana Republic, Coldwater Creek, Starbucks, and Subway. Florham Park has Trader Joes, Panera Bread and Red Mango. Further down is Livingston Mall where you will find the nearest H&M and Sears. Madison has Whole Foods. Peapack/Gladstone has a bakery (Chocoluxe) and a gorgeous nature area, Natirar.

One more note on getting to and from Mendham via Tempe Wick Rd. There is quite a stretch of that road with no cell phone reception (we had Verizon). During last year's Irene storm, I almost got stuck on that road with two kids and fallen tree branches in front of me. There was no phone reception. Luckily I was able to turn around and go back. The phone reception was bad at home too. I believe there was a discussion about putting up a cell phone tower in town, but people were not happy about the proximity of it to the residential areas so it did not go up. Perhaps other providers cover that stretch of town.

When you look at towns that are that far west, keep the cell phone coverage in mind and ask around.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:51 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,455,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResearchMom View Post
From Mendham, you will need to drive up north to Rte.10 for all the big box stores. They will stretch all the way west from Roxbury/Succasunna (Wal Mart, Macys, Ashley Furniture, Barnes and Noble, Home Depot, Panera Bread, Kohls, and an awesome Ramsey Outdoor Store), all the way east to East Hanover (Super Target, BabiesRUs, Best Buy, Chipotle, Panera Bread). Off the top of my head, Chester has Shop Rite, Marshalls, Staples, Gap, Banana Republic, Coldwater Creek, Starbucks, and Subway. Florham Park has Trader Joes, Panera Bread and Red Mango. Further down is Livingston Mall where you will find the nearest H&M and Sears. Madison has Whole Foods. Peapack/Gladstone has a bakery (Chocoluxe) and a gorgeous nature area, Natirar.

One more note on getting to and from Mendham via Tempe Wick Rd. There is quite a stretch of that road with no cell phone reception (we had Verizon). During last year's Irene storm, I almost got stuck on that road with two kids and fallen tree branches in front of me. There was no phone reception. Luckily I was able to turn around and go back. The phone reception was bad at home too. I believe there was a discussion about putting up a cell phone tower in town, but people were not happy about the proximity of it to the residential areas so it did not go up. Perhaps other providers cover that stretch of town.

When you look at towns that are that far west, keep the cell phone coverage in mind and ask around.

I need to pipe in here as Researchmom is quite mistaken on some of the things she is saying, perhaps is due to her lack in depth of knowledge of the area. And as she is just going off the top of her head, she has understandable omitted quite a bit of info.

Firstly, to get to Roxbury/Succasunna, there is no need to drive all the way to Rte 10, there are several back roads that will take you there much quicker, and if you want more of a "main drag" instead of the aforementioned tertiary roads you simply take Sussex Tpk.

If you are looking for a Walmart, there is one in Cedar Knolls, (less than 15 min from the Brookside side of town.) In that shopping center is also a Sears, although it is strictly for appliances and related items, no clothing/jewelry etc. Right across the street from the Walmart plans have been approved and construction started for both a large Target store and new Shop Rite Supermarket.

For clothing you can also visit either local Khols, (Succasunna, 6mi., or Morris Plains 8 mi, from downtown Mendham) and there is a Century21 department store on the Green in Morristown. Morristown also has a plethora of small clothing stores. Right on 202 in Harding Twp, is a large and wonderful Talbots and another in Chester, (each about 4 miles from Mendham) There is also a Kmart in Randolph, and since Kmart was taken over by Sears some time ago, you'll find many of the sears items at that store. (Truth be told, the store is not the best, hopefully with the new anchor tenants and the increased traffic they will bring in that shopping center it will improve)

There is a Lowes in Flanders as well as a large Target, BabiesRUs, Sam's, Tractor Supply, TJMaxx and much much more. (for more info google shopping, Mt. Olive, NJ)

The A&P on Washington St (rte 124) on the west end of Morristown is being taken over by Whole Foods, although it appears that they will be doing significant remodeling and expanding, so will not open for business this year. I personally am excited that also coming to the area is a Wegmans Supermarket, which will be built in Cedar Knolls/W Hanover.

As to the cell reception issue, specifically on Tempe Wick Road. One needs to realize that Tempe Wick Rd cuts through the Morristown National Historic Park, specifically the Jockey Hollow section of the park. As this is a huge block of interconnecting parks, with the National Historic Park abutted by county and local parks, yes there are areas where there is no cell service. But then again I do not think having cell towers dotted throughout forest land that is a national historic park is appropriate. It has been my experience that there is a small pocket, less than a half mile, whilst driving through the park on Tempe Wick where you get no reception.

As to the assertion that Mendham is only for those who "have a sort of "retiree" mindset" it is false, given the popularity and abundance of recreation programs, after school activities, as well as community events. I believe the fact that researchmom was coming from and seeking a much more urban environment is clouding her statements.

KoalaNJ

Old 01-20-2013, 02:32 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post

As to the cell reception issue, specifically on Tempe Wick Road. One needs to realize that Tempe Wick Rd cuts through the Morristown National Historic Park, specifically the Jockey Hollow section of the park. As this is a huge block of interconnecting parks, with the National Historic Park abutted by county and local parks, yes there are areas where there is no cell service. But then again I do not think having cell towers dotted throughout forest land that is a national historic park is appropriate. It has been my experience that there is a small pocket, less than a half mile, whilst driving through the park on Tempe Wick where you get no reception.

KoalaNJ
Cell service should be everywhere. Every inch of every acre of the entire United States. Yes in all the parks and wilderness areas, and even in Alaska and the Arctic. If I have an emergency, I don't want there to be any chance that I do not have coverage. Cell coverage should be 4 bars wherever there is breathable air.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:14 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Cell service should be everywhere. Every inch of every acre of the entire United States. Yes in all the parks and wilderness areas, and even in Alaska and the Arctic. If I have an emergency, I don't want there to be any chance that I do not have coverage. Cell coverage should be 4 bars wherever there is breathable air.
If you want service in the wilderness, get a satellite phone. Verizon et al shouldn't be subsidizing your need for safety; let the DoD (excuse me, Iridium Communications Inc, our motto: "We're not an obvious front for the DoD") do it.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:44 PM

Cool More ramblings about Mendham

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
I need to pipe in here as Researchmom is quite mistaken on some of the things she is saying, perhaps is due to her lack in depth of knowledge of the area. And as she is just going off the top of her head, she has understandable omitted quite a bit of info.

Firstly, to get to Roxbury/Succasunna, there is no need to drive all the way to Rte 10, there are several back roads that will take you there much quicker, and if you want more of a "main drag" instead of the aforementioned tertiary roads you simply take Sussex Tpk.

If you are looking for a Walmart, there is one in Cedar Knolls, (less than 15 min from the Brookside side of town.) In that shopping center is also a Sears, although it is strictly for appliances and related items, no clothing/jewelry etc. Right across the street from the Walmart plans have been approved and construction started for both a large Target store and new Shop Rite Supermarket.

For clothing you can also visit either local Khols, (Succasunna, 6mi., or Morris Plains 8 mi, from downtown Mendham) and there is a Century21 department store on the Green in Morristown. Morristown also has a plethora of small clothing stores. Right on 202 in Harding Twp, is a large and wonderful Talbots and another in Chester, (each about 4 miles from Mendham) There is also a Kmart in Randolph, and since Kmart was taken over by Sears some time ago, you'll find many of the sears items at that store. (Truth be told, the store is not the best, hopefully with the new anchor tenants and the increased traffic they will bring in that shopping center it will improve)

There is a Lowes in Flanders as well as a large Target, BabiesRUs, Sam's, Tractor Supply, TJMaxx and much much more. (for more info google shopping, Mt. Olive, NJ)

The A&P on Washington St (rte 124) on the west end of Morristown is being taken over by Whole Foods, although it appears that they will be doing significant remodeling and expanding, so will not open for business this year. I personally am excited that also coming to the area is a Wegmans Supermarket, which will be built in Cedar Knolls/W Hanover.

As to the assertion that Mendham is only for those who "have a sort of "retiree" mindset" it is false, given the popularity and abundance of recreation programs, after school activities, as well as community events. I believe the fact that researchmom was coming from and seeking a much more urban environment is clouding her statements.

KoalaNJ
Thanks for adding the rest. Of course I am familiar of all the stores you have mentioned. Simply put, the stores I proposed were suggested, due to a "better shopping experience" for me. Your proposals didn't differ from mine, in a sense that however you look at it, you are still bound to drive for at least 20 minutes to get anywhere from Mendham.

Again, we left Mendham due to the lack of things to do - in town-. One Labor Day parade + one carnival a year were just not enough to keep us in town.

By the way, prices in Mendham are within reach for all! Check it out, just saw a townhouse for 295K pop up.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:49 PM

265 posts, read 597,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResearchMom View Post
... and the stretch of shopping is not quite as vast as you say. Head east on Route 10 from Roxbury/Succasunna into Randolph and the landscape changes. Aside from an A&P, the big name gaudy stores disappear in Randolph. Continue in that direction and you'll find the Shoppes at Union Hill, a tastefully done walking mall with everything from The Gap and Banana Republic to Bensi Italian, Five Guys and, of course, Starbucks.

Continue east... apartments, gas stations, lots of trees until you hit Parsippany & Morris Plains. Pass 202, then under 287 and the big box stores start again in East Hanover.

Between all of these, you find towns with varied residential real estate.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:46 AM

39 posts, read 99,143 times
What would y'all say is the best part about living in this area?

Old 01-25-2013, 04:18 PM

64 posts, read 186,537 times
Thought I would chime in here as you seem to be in the same spot we were until a couple of weeks ago. My fiance' and I are moving from CA to NJ this spring; her office is in Parsippany and we did much internet research until we could actually get boots on the ground for our 1st house hunting trip which was 2 weeks ago.

We looked at Millburn, Livingston, Madison, Chatham, Florham Park, Summit & Basking Ridge. Out of those towns, Madison & Basking Ridge were at the top of the list. Madison has a very nice walkable downtown and a college town vibe to it (2 colleges there). Basking Ridge was newer and had a nice variety of upscale neighborhoods, town homes & detached homes. Lots of stores in pretty much every town and didn't seem to take very long to drive from town to town, we were used to CA long driving distances and NJ was a nice surprise

On the subject of shopping, only went to 3 malls; Livingston, Bridgewater, and Short Hills, which is next to Summit. Bridgewater was a very nice updated mall with a nice selection of stores & restaurants. Short Hills had alot of upscale stores and we had heard it was a very very nice mall with anything you could want.....after walking through we said, "Really!" Not sure what standard they were using, and maybe we are used to Southern CA, Orange County malls but we most likely wont be going back there again....also seemed to have a bit more sketchy characters on the periphery there....after driving through Summit we saw the same thing....maybe its a nice town but we must've been on the wrong side of the tracks! The mall in Livingston is not worth mentioning,.....looked like it hadn't been updated since the 80's....got depressed before even getting out of the car!

All in all, once you get there to house hunt, talk to people in shops, bagel places or whatever, ask them what they think of their town or surrounding areas, I was lucky in that I was able to make connections with a couple of law enforcement personnel and they gave me good info re. towns that would be difficult to get anywhere else.

Good luck!!

Old 01-25-2013, 07:23 PM

39 posts, read 99,143 times
That is great info, thank you Good luck on your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey