Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2013, 01:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,169 times

Advertisements

Hi! My fiance and I are looking to move to NJ in a few months. We've been out with a few realtors and have seen some areas we really like, but we're really trying to narrow down the towns.

Where are you coming from? NYC
Why are you moving? We've had our fun in NYC, but now it's time to start thinking long term.
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? She works at 55th and Lex, and it looks like I'll be working in Fort Lee.

Will you buy or rent? Buy
What is your budget? Around $325K depending on the taxes.
What kind of place are you looking for? Small town feel with a decent NYC commute (under an hour).

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you? Fiance and a 12 pound dog.
Do you need/want good public schools? No, we plan on moving again before we have kids.

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc): We're really looking for the "small town" feel. Downtown South Orange is perfect for us, and we almost closed on a condo there, but the property taxes are just too high (11K). We'd love to be near a dog park and a fun downtown, as we're in our late 20's and still like to go out.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc): Downtown area, short commute (and walking distance from train if possible), outdoor activities.

When we first started looking at places, we got the wind knocked out of us when we saw the types of places we can afford. We loved South Orange, but 11K per year is just too high for us for property taxes for us right now (I know it's not for most of the people in NJ). She'll be commuting to NYC and I'll most likely be in Fort Lee, which is one of the reasons we're looking in Bergen County instead of Essex. We'd really like to get a 2BR which is tough in our price range as well.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 03:00 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,455,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyWalnuts View Post
Hi! My fiance and I are looking to move to NJ in a few months. We've been out with a few realtors and have seen some areas we really like, but we're really trying to narrow down the towns.

Where are you coming from? NYC
Why are you moving? We've had our fun in NYC, but now it's time to start thinking long term.
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? She works at 55th and Lex, and it looks like I'll be working in Fort Lee.

Will you buy or rent? Buy
What is your budget? Around $325K depending on the taxes.
What kind of place are you looking for? Small town feel with a decent NYC commute (under an hour).

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you? Fiance and a 12 pound dog.
Do you need/want good public schools? No, we plan on moving again before we have kids.

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc): We're really looking for the "small town" feel. Downtown South Orange is perfect for us, and we almost closed on a condo there, but the property taxes are just too high (11K). We'd love to be near a dog park and a fun downtown, as we're in our late 20's and still like to go out.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc): Downtown area, short commute (and walking distance from train if possible), outdoor activities.

When we first started looking at places, we got the wind knocked out of us when we saw the types of places we can afford. We loved South Orange, but 11K per year is just too high for us for property taxes for us right now (I know it's not for most of the people in NJ). She'll be commuting to NYC and I'll most likely be in Fort Lee, which is one of the reasons we're looking in Bergen County instead of Essex. We'd really like to get a 2BR which is tough in our price range as well.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Mike

The first place that comes to my mind given your criteria would be Rutherford. Nice downtown area and on the Bergen Line for easy train access to NYC and you'd be only a short drive to Ft. Lee (although I think there is also bus service available) An added bonus is that the area seems to be going through what one might call "gentrification" which means good things for your property values down the line when you sell.

HTH

KoalaNJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey