Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 02:38 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,383,479 times

Advertisements

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
Dang what school do you go to that is cheap enough to allow you to do all that with financial aid??? What I am saying is you don't need an MBA. I worked at a publishing company and a couple fashion magazines and I have my BS in Fashion Marketing and Management. I did an internship at a PR company and all they want is a Bachelors Degree.
LOL I started at FSU and then transferred to UCF....but my aid stayed the same. Bright Futures paid like 75% and then my Pell Grant came through and paid the rest and then deposited whatever was left in my checking account. Had I been smart I might have spent less money getting my hair done and actually saved some of it for my post-pell grant life.

Yes, I know many places don't require a MBA. But it seems like it's so hard to get into them. I was hoping that by getting an internship I'd at least get a foot in the door, you know. I'd even take a post-grad internship if I could find one. I'm just thinking aloud. One of the things I realized when I started doing all this re-locating research is that every decision comes with like neverending options. I always been a one-way kinda person but now there's all these side streets.

So I'm going to take a detour and see where I end up. If I don't like it, I can always turn around and go the other way. I love analogies. And now I'm really going home before they see my computer is still and ask me to do some actual work...as if.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 02:49 PM

625 posts, read 3,636,521 times
Well you can get an unpaid internship easily because U ARE WORKING FOR FREE!!! I was mad during my last semester of college because of that but hey they make that a requirement. You do have to interview for an internship but it's not the typical interview because they are not paying you what they would pay some other person what you (the poor fool) are doing for free

Old 10-31-2007, 10:49 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,383,479 times
Can someone give me some insight into Elizabeth? I've been checking rentals out online to get some idea of what apartments go for and the apartments in Elizabeth seem to be larger and less expensive - which makes me wonder. Thanks so much!

Old 10-31-2007, 11:15 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,969,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Can someone give me some insight into Elizabeth? I've been checking rentals out online to get some idea of what apartments go for and the apartments in Elizabeth seem to be larger and less expensive - which makes me wonder. Thanks so much!
you always get what you pay for.
elizabeth is a typical old decayed urban area, some parts of town are being rebuilt but a lot of that new building is taking place on brownfields, old industrial sites that have been "cleaned" up.
The downtown is typical ghetto style consisting of government offices, dollar stores, chicken places and medical and immigration law offices, nothing of any real interest. The population is mostly low income types, many illegals and english is not the popular language.
Elizabeth can be ok if you're willing to trade low rent for a low class lifestyle.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:45 PM

145 posts, read 435,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
you always get what you pay for.
elizabeth is a typical old decayed urban area, some parts of town are being rebuilt but a lot of that new building is taking place on brownfields, old industrial sites that have been "cleaned" up.
The downtown is typical ghetto style consisting of government offices, dollar stores, chicken places and medical and immigration law offices, nothing of any real interest. The population is mostly low income types, many illegals and english is not the popular language.
Elizabeth can be ok if you're willing to trade low rent for a low class lifestyle.
Wow that is an really honest post! What about South Plainfield? They have lots of reasonable rentals there too - Trenton seems too good to be true and so does Newark - they advertise $800 for a 2bdrm - it must be either raggedy as hell or in the middle of the projects

Old 10-31-2007, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingTheSunshine View Post
Wow that is an really honest post! What about South Plainfield? They have lots of reasonable rentals there too - Trenton seems too good to be true and so does Newark - they advertise $800 for a 2bdrm - it must be either raggedy as hell or in the middle of the projects
don't even consider trenton or newark, most places in those towns are as bad as bad gets, Plainfield is bad too, S. Plainfield, different town is suburban and as long as you conduct due dillegence before signing anything would be the choice

Old 10-31-2007, 01:04 PM

562 posts, read 2,615,940 times
Elizabeth is under a major redevelopment.. eveywhere.. not only in certain areas.. the reason why rent is affordable is b/c the amount of apt for rent.. most single family homes are beeing demolished and 2 family houses are beeing built.. this is causing high number of apt for rent.. it's true that Elizabeth has bad areas but at the same time it has good sections.. you should go take a look at one of the apt you saw listed.. check in areas like elmora, elmora hills, westminister, north elizabeth, bayway..

good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post

Old 10-31-2007, 01:09 PM

145 posts, read 435,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar41 View Post
it's true that Elizabeth has bad areas but at the same time it has good sections..
Thats true of almost any area - not to highjack the post but is Ewing a nice area? What exactly is a 2 family home? Do you share common area like a kitchen?

Old 10-31-2007, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingTheSunshine View Post
Thats true of almost any area - not to highjack the post but is Ewing a nice area? What exactly is a 2 family home? Do you share common area like a kitchen?
parts of ewing can be ok and other parts are suffering from the spill over crime and urban decay from next door trenton

Old 10-31-2007, 05:16 PM

196 posts, read 768,278 times
Yes, stay away from Newark, Trenton, Plainfield. I don't know very much about Elizabeth but I do recall it has never been a sought after place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey