Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 08:19 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,081,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
T

Kinnelon for sure. Boonton...meh. It can't hang with the towns listed above IMO.
Yeah, that's the part I know. Like Garfield in the hills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 08:52 PM

5,135 posts, read 4,491,439 times
Oradell and Paramus fit your criteria.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:56 PM

25 posts, read 44,483 times
We are finding that we need to head further out to get the size house we're looking for within our budget of 500k. (!)

There are beautiful homes in Sparta, but the real estate agent says that commute might be more than an hour because of traffic. She is looking in West Milford, Randolph, Kinnelon, Hardyston.

Can anyone give me information about any of those school systems? My children are 7, 5, and 1 but we are hoping to stay put all through their school years. I know I will be nervous no matter where they are going, but I want to try to make a good choice. I have read the different ranking lists, but those are bad primarily/solely on test scores. Correlated to other areas, yes, but not linearly....

Any honest opinions, since the real estate agents "aren't allowed to say?"

Old 04-19-2013, 06:03 PM

550 posts, read 966,627 times
My old boss commuted from Kinnelon to Fort Lee, which I think was a bit of a hike during rush hour. I remember him telling me how much he loved the town and how the commute was well worth it. His kids, who went through the town public school system, did very well.

If your spouse is working in Franklin Lakes, the commute shouldn't be an issue.

I think you'll hear people say that Randolph is a good town that may fit your criteria as well.

Good luck!

Old 04-19-2013, 08:07 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,986,912 times
Kinnelon and Randolph both have strong school systems (don't know about the other towns).

I commuted from Randolph to Paramus and to Glen Rock. I think you'd be looking at about an hour depending on exact locations and if you're in the heart of rush hour.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:20 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,457,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsushi View Post
We are finding that we need to head further out to get the size house we're looking for within our budget of 500k. (!)

There are beautiful homes in Sparta, but the real estate agent says that commute might be more than an hour because of traffic. She is looking in West Milford, Randolph, Kinnelon, Hardyston.

Can anyone give me information about any of those school systems? My children are 7, 5, and 1 but we are hoping to stay put all through their school years. I know I will be nervous no matter where they are going, but I want to try to make a good choice. I have read the different ranking lists, but those are bad primarily/solely on test scores. Correlated to other areas, yes, but not linearly....

Randolph is a great community, but it is going to be an hour (or more) commute to Franklin Lakes, depending on what part of the Twp the home is located. (Randolph is large and spread out) The schools are wonderful, plenty of recreational activities and parks. Great town to raise a family.

Kinnelon is a good option, schools are quite good. Wonderful community for families. Your commute will not be bad either. There are a fair number of SF homes currently on the market for under your 500K limit. (nearly 50, which considering the relatively small number of homes within the twp, is a pretty good amount to choose from)

I have some reservations about West Milford, mostly regarding their schools. They are not well regarded. The HS ranked 163 (out of 312 in the state) this past year in the NJ monthly rankings. The yr before it was ranked 185. It is not that the schools are extremely bad, just not very good, they do not even rise to average for NJ, and you can find a nice home in your price range, within a good commuting distance, with better schools. The elementary and middle schools perform "meh" on statewide testing. Would being educated in that school system doom you child? Probably not. But they also will not get the same quality of education, and educational opportunities that you'd have gotten in other districts.

Hardyston's schools are considered worse than West Milfords, (esp the elementary schools) and the Regional HS rankings and scores are pretty poor. (IIRC WallKill Valley Regional HS was ranked 195 out of 312 in the NJ monthly rankings.) Their ave SAT score is well below the state ave, (WVRHS is 1517, and the state ave is 1550) and only about 83% of their graduating students score proficient on the HESPA exams. (meaning 27% of the schools graduates do not meet minimum proficiencies in math, literature, science.) Definitely something to think twice about when considering moving to the town.

I personally would deal with a smaller house, or a longer commute than deal with a school system that does not rise to the level of average for NJ. In general avoid all of Sussex County due to concerns about schools, and their long standing under functioning/under performing history. (although Sparta may be the exception, their schools are decent, a bit above average, but then you are dealing with a longer than you want commute)

As I mentioned in an earlier post also add Boonton Twp to your list of towns being considered. Great schools, (Mt. Lakes HS) and reasonable commute to FL. I know there are a handful of homes within your budget.

HTH

KoalaNJ

Old 04-20-2013, 06:46 AM

25 posts, read 44,483 times
Thanks, koala, I have added Boonton Twp to the list and appreciate your candid feedback about schools. I know I really need to drive down and see what these areas are like to see if I think it's a good fit for our family!

Old 04-20-2013, 04:15 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,457,332 times
Quote:
Thanks, koala, I have added Boonton Twp to the list and appreciate your candid feedback about schools. I know I really need to drive down and see what these areas are like to see if I think it's a good fit for our family!

Yes, putting feet on the ground and spending some time in the communities you are considering would be a very good idea. Nice that since you are in CT, it is a fairly easy short trip on a weekend. Each community has their own vibe and spending some time in the communities is really necessary to see how they fit with your families needs and wants. If you have the ability to spend a weekday or two in the area, please try to do so, that way you can get a better idea of what the commute will be like. Also look for more info on the towns by checking out their local Patch site as well as local weekly newspapers. If you need help finding them, let me know.

KoalaNJ

Old 04-20-2013, 05:54 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,153,863 times
Ramsey
Oradell
Oakland

The problem is the "newer" house part.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:06 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,319,041 times
Quote:
Head away from New York. As you get closer to the City, the prices go up. Why pay for City proximity when you don't need it? Hence, IMO... top three choices:
  1. Kinnelon is choice. Morris County, best schools... even during rush hour, Franklin Lakes is less than 20 minutes by car. Very hilly though. Not the place to be if you like the flatlands.
  2. Yes, Oakland is a great choice. It's still in Bergen County, where taxes aren't as bad as suburban Passaic County. Also very good schools. Very close to the job.
  3. Ringwood is fine, but beware the taxes. (It's Passaic County.) Also very hilly.
A peculiar issue that you may have yet to discover — you'll find different real estate agents specializing in each area. NJ real estate brokerage is highly territorial, IMO.
Kinnelon is Route-23-centric.
Ringwood is 'Highlands.'
Oakland is Route-208-centric.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey