Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 09:08 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,869,518 times

Advertisements

I don't want to sound insensitive to anyone who has ever lost anyone to firearms violence. I love firearms and have owned and used them since a very early age. I have known three people personally that died from firearms. Contrast that to dozens killed in car accidents, farm accidents etc.

You may hate firearms but if you think that outlawing the ownership of firearms by anyone but government agents is going to make you safer you are a FOOL. History has made that clear. The 20th Century death toll from government control of gun ownership by citizens is anywhere from 50 to 100 million.

GL2

Old 04-11-2013, 09:17 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,824,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I don't want to sound insensitive to anyone who has ever lost anyone to firearms violence. I love firearms and have owned and used them since a very early age. I have known three people personally that died from firearms. Contrast that to dozens killed in car accidents, farm accidents etc.

You may hate firearms but if you think that outlawing the ownership of firearms by anyone but government agents is going to make you safer you are a FOOL. History has made that clear. The 20th Century death toll from government control of gun ownership by citizens is anywhere from 50 to 100 million.

GL2
To know three people who have died due to firearm violence is a lot. I don't know any and I am 63 years old. Wait- there was one. He was a kid I knew in public school - As an adult he became a heavy cocaine user. From what I heard during a domestic he sunk his teeth into the arm of a cops...They had to shoot him a number of times to dislodge him. Oh...I forgot - there were a couple of hooligans in my hood who squared off in a gun fight in a tiny laundry room. One survived the other was shot numerous times. Oh--- I forgot there is a third...A young woman I knew who married a guy and had a couple of kids...He started dressing like a woman and growing breasts...She went out to the pick up and put a gun in her mouth...okay - I am up to three.

I guess that gun violence is not restricted to the great USA. We in Canada have it also. I suppose the moral of my story was that ALL of the deaths I mentioned were the spawns of mental illness...and happened to people with serious issues.

I

Old 04-11-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
sorry, can't take anyone with the screen name "gunluvver" seriously.
Sorry to hear that Tahiti but I run into that a lot.
What a society we have when someone that professes a love of firearms is ridiculed but it is not politically correct to criticize abortion or homosexuals practicing their perversions. Oh damn. I will be suspended for a few weeks again for some silly T.O.S.

GL2 and proud of it.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:20 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,748,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
[/u]
Exactly!!! We need to take gun ownership way more seriously then we do. Sorry, but the owner of this gun should be in jail today. He or she did NOT take their responsibility seriously, and there should be consequences. Perhaps they should not be allowed to own guns ever again.
You see a 4-year old play and act silly and are so dependent on mommy and daddy, parents probably thought there was no way that child would be able to operate a gun/shotgun. Young children learn what they see when you aren't looking. It's too bad gun safety wasn't observed. Who leaves a loaded weapon in the house with young kids? These parents should be prosecuted...period.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:26 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,697,858 times
Quote:
Sorry to hear that Tahiti but I run into that a lot.
What a society we have when someone that professes a love of firearms is ridiculed but it is not politically correct to criticize abortion or homosexuals practicing their perversions. Oh damn. I will be suspended for a few weeks again for some silly T.O.S.

GL2 and proud of it.
I wouldn't take someone with the screen name "abortionluvver" seriously either. Your screen name is only designed to inflame. I love the mangling of the English language in the name too.

And with that, on ignore you go.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:33 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times
im not sure about what aspect of gun control are being debated here but i think severe penalties would be justified for the parents. how severe, id need to give it more though. if you own a gun, there is a certain amount of responsibility you need to take for it.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
To know three people who have died due to firearm violence is a lot. I don't know any and I am 63 years old. Wait- there was one. He was a kid I knew in public school - As an adult he became a heavy cocaine user. From what I heard during a domestic he sunk his teeth into the arm of a cops...They had to shoot him a number of times to dislodge him. Oh...I forgot - there were a couple of hooligans in my hood who squared off in a gun fight in a tiny laundry room. One survived the other was shot numerous times. Oh--- I forgot there is a third...A young woman I knew who married a guy and had a couple of kids...He started dressing like a woman and growing breasts...She went out to the pick up and put a gun in her mouth...okay - I am up to three.

I guess that gun violence is not restricted to the great USA. We in Canada have it also. I suppose the moral of my story was that ALL of the deaths I mentioned were the spawns of mental illness...and happened to people with serious issues.

I
I am a 66 year old Man and I have been involved with firearms since at least age four. Of the three deaths from firearms one was an accidental discharge that killed the brother of a fellow classmate my Junior year in High School. Around that same time the Father of a classmate used a firearm to commit suicide. The next personal acquaintance that died from a firearms accident was the brother of a friend's wife. He had a revolver fall out of his holster and land on the hammer causing the gun to fire and a bullet hitting him in the head. Note that shortly after trigger transfer bars became common, preventing this type of accident.

Yes three tragedies is horrible and all three of the deaths I mentioned should have never happened but they did. However during my 66 years I remember dozens of people killed in farm accidents (how many city slickers are killed in farm accidents?) and maybe hundreds of people killed in automobile and motorcycle accidents. Would you outlaw ownership of farm equipment? Automobiles? Wait a minute. As a farm boy I remember at least two people that died from injuries by livestock. Outlaw farm animals also?

Newsflash people. Life always ends in death. Logic would suggest that we should have UNIVERSAL BIRTH CONTROL. If Birth Control was 100% effective no new people would be born thus saving billions of lives. I am surprised some do gooder politicians haven't suggested this.

GL2

Old 04-11-2013, 09:38 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,344,849 times
Quote:

GL2
I'm certainly not saying firearms should be illegal. I have friends who have firearms (hunters). And they are locked up. Because they are RESPONSIBLE gun owners. And if one of them left their rifle or shotgun lying around for a kid to grab, absolutely they should be prosecuted. Like I said earlier in this thread, IQ tests should be administered prior to allowing one to own a firearm. Too many stupid people owning guns ruin a basic right for everyone else.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:59 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,748,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
I'm certainly not saying firearms should be illegal. I have friends who have firearms (hunters). And they are locked up. Because they are RESPONSIBLE gun owners. And if one of them left their rifle or shotgun lying around for a kid to grab, absolutely they should be prosecuted. Like I said earlier in this thread, IQ tests should be administered prior to allowing one to own a firearm. Too many stupid people owning guns ruin a basic right for everyone else.
I agree. I'm not saying gun ownership should be illegal. Just don't strap your loaded shotgun next to the car seat. Gun ownership should be synonymous with responsibility.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:09 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,981,522 times
Enough already. A child is dead due to the negligence of another child's parents. That's it. It's a horrible and very preventable (which makes it worse) tragedy. One child lost his life, his parents will be forever scarred, another child's life is ruined before it's really even begun, and his parents will also be forever scarred. Why this has to be a pro/anti gun issue is beyond me. What if the 4 year old had pushed the 6 year old into the pool and (assuming he couldn't swim) he drowned? What if he had hit him in the back of the head with a baseball bat? Or stabbed him in the chest? The issue here is that the parents of the 4 year old clearly were not supervising either child AT ALL. How you let two children under age 10 run around completely unsupervised to the point that one picks up a loaded gun and shoots the other is inconceivable. Is that an issue for anyone here or is this simply another garden variety city-data political p***ing match?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey