Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2013, 07:01 AM

13,406 posts, read 28,739,320 times

Advertisements

Today is this poor child's wake. If the gun debate could take a back seat for a bit and we keep this family in our prayers.................

Old 04-12-2013, 07:47 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,870,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
FIRST OF ALL, toilets, mop buckets and two cup containers aren't specifically designed solely for the purpose of causing death and bodily harm.

SECOND OF ALL, if we are going to consider data from that Table 10. you cited, we should consider the entire table and not just the 2 lines that conveniently support your thesis.

Using only those 2 lines of data, yes, it does appear that 6X as many people (all people total; children + adults) die from "ACCIDENTAL DROWNING AND SUBMERSION" (3,782 TOTAL) than from "FIREARM ACCIDENTS" (606 TOTAL).

If we are only talking about CHILDREN (I highlighted the data for age groups up to and including 15-24 years-old IN RED in your list above), it would be more accurate to state that the number of child deaths from drowning is 1,382, and the number of child deaths from firearm accidents is 207. So it's more like closer to 7X as many children dying from drowning than from firearm accidents.

HOWEVER, and this is a BIG "however", you neglected to cite the data in that Table 10. for all of the FIREARM related deaths as copied below. For the sake of brevity, I only cited TOTAL (adult + children), and the breakdown only as far as the age group of 15-24 years old.

"INTENTIONAL SELF-HARM (SUICIDE) BY DISCHARGE OF FIREARMS" (19,392 TOTAL)

-- (<1 year old)
-- (1-4 years old)
81 (5-14 years old)
2,046 (15-24 years old)

"ASSAULT (HOMICIDE) BY DISCHARGE OF FIREARMS" (11,078 TOTAL)

11 (<1 year old)
43 (1-4 years old)
165 (5-14 years old)
3,889 (15-24 years old)

"DISCHARGE OF FIREARMS, UNDETERMINED INTENT" (252 TOTAL)

-- (<1 year old)
3 (1-4 years old)
14 (5-14 years old)
53 (15-24 years old)

If we add those numbers up, we get 30,722 additional DEATHS BY FIREARM, for a grand total of 31,328 deaths.

Of those 31,328 DEATHS BY FIREARM, a grand total of 6,512 DEATHS are children.

This is a much more honest picture of firearm deaths, than your original proposal that it's really "only" 606 firearm deaths as compared to the 3,782 accidental drownings. Try to think for yourself outside the NRA propaganda that you are eating up with a spoon. It's ludicrous to claim that the NRA has done more for gun safety in this country than anyone else. That's like saying McDonald's obviously really cares about obesity because they offer salads and fruit in their Happy Meals. The NRA cares about gun manufacturers making money.

THIRD OF ALL, no one in this thread is talking about "BANNING" guns. No one is talking about busting through your front door and seizing your precious guns, so don't get hysterical. How many times have you mentioned in this thread how much you "LOVE" your guns? Gun debate aside, that kind of fetishising of an inanimate object is disturbing, and you are doing nothing to mitigate the caricature stereotype of "gun nut".

"Gun control" doesn't equal "Gun ban". Can we try to think about these issues more intelligently than divisive, black & white thinking and partisan "Obama and those abortion & homosexual luvin' Democrats want to take away all your guns and your Constitutional rights, 'Mmmmmurrrrricaaaaaa!" pandering?
Sorry Docendo but too many of the leaders in the gun control movement have stated that they want guns removed from the hands of citizens. yes I am a firm believer in the importance of the second Amendment. I have enjoyed firearms since I got my first BB gun at a very early age. My enjoyment of firearms is totally separate from my belief in the Second Amendment. Many of my friends do not own guns and some of them have never even fired a gun but almost all of them understand the importance of the Second Amendment.

If you want to get a handle on gun violence in the USA how about passing laws making it a mandatory thirty years with no parole for anyone using a gun in the commission of a felony? Now that is legislation I would gladly support.

GL2

Old 04-12-2013, 07:54 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,982,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Today is this poor child's wake. If the gun debate could take a back seat for a bit and we keep this family in our prayers.................
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Sorry Docendo but too many of the leaders in the gun control movement have stated that they want guns removed from the hands of citizens. yes I am a firm believer in the importance of the second Amendment. I have enjoyed firearms since I got my first BB gun at a very early age. My enjoyment of firearms is totally separate from my belief in the Second Amendment. Many of my friends do not own guns and some of them have never even fired a gun but almost all of them understand the importance of the Second Amendment.

If you want to get a handle on gun violence in the USA how about passing laws making it a mandatory thirty years with no parole for anyone using a gun in the commission of a felony? Now that is legislation I would gladly support.
Guess not...

Old 04-12-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I am liberal. I believe gays should be given the same rights as everyone else and abortion should be on demand. I also believe, barring severe mental illness, every American who is of age has the right to have guns.

The trouble is, if someone invades your home, I doubt if you will have time to unlock your guns and unlock the ammunition stored in another place . . .

For, I think actual decades, I have been hearing of the manufacture of guns that require a fingerprint in order to operate. That sort of gun could not be used by a child. It could not be taken away from a person by a crook and used against the owner. It could lie around the house, near the door maybe, in complete safety.

I don't own a gun, but I think law enforcement can get them. Why are people not calling for there sale to the general public? It would seem to solve a lot of problems.

I am even told that, if such a gun is stolen and an attempt is made to dissemble it, the gun breaks and can no longer be put together.
Golden Grain the fingerprint gun is a great idea on paper. The problem is reliability. When that idea was proposed a few years back many Police Departments wanted their Police officers exempt from the requirement. Why? When you need a gun to SAVE your life you want to know that it is going to be 100% reliable. If your life depends on it do you want a weapon to work 99% of the time? Heck if I want to gamble I will buy a Lottery ticket.

GL2

Old 04-12-2013, 08:02 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,700,318 times
Quote:
They are not mutually exclusive IMO. When my uncle died of cancer a few months back, we didn't NOT talk about cancer. Talking about sensible gun legislation (well, some of us) does not mean we aren't thinking of this poor family and wishing them peace while they go through what is the most horrendous thing I can personally think of.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:

njkate do you really think any member or friends of the child killed will be reading a stupid message board on the day of the child's wake? My prayers are with the family of the child but as tragic as that death is when many use it as a call for more gun control many of us law abiding gun owners will not shut up.

GL2

Old 04-12-2013, 08:53 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,683,330 times
http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...10085&gcheck=1

Article that ran today in the APP

Old 04-12-2013, 09:02 AM

13,406 posts, read 28,739,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
njkate do you really think any member or friends of the child killed will be reading a stupid message board on the day of the child's wake? My prayers are with the family of the child but as tragic as that death is when many use it as a call for more gun control many of us law abiding gun owners will not shut up.

GL2
Of course they are not reading a message board but you never know I have seen family or friends pop in on other message boards..to ask posters to ****...

we are beating a dead horse here as the issue is equally divided with no gray area it seems.

my own opinion is you can have all the gun control you want but unless all guns are totally banned ( and I do not endorse that) it doesn't prevent stupidity as was the case here..an ADULT leaving a loaded weapon where a small child could get their hands on it...problem is it has come on the heels of other gun tragedies, you had a teen gunned down at his school bus stop the other day in Nashville, so the issue is bordering on hysteria for some on both sides of the coin...

Sadly even if guns were totally banned and again i do not endorse that the criminals would still somehow manage to get them...

Old 04-12-2013, 09:35 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,078,794 times
Hopefully one day the gunnutz will be looked at as menaces to society, kind of how we look at child molesters. And those idiots like this Senatore will have his precious killing toys taken away from him & have to register and warn his neighbors of his negligent past wherever he goes.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:41 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,825,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
But along with Canada's just awful, Commie govt. provided healthcare to all its citizens, how can you stand living in a place where you can't buy dozens of guns and stockpile.thousands of rounds of ammo? You must be super jealous of our freedoms.
You are a victim of propaganda. We are not a commie nation nor do we have a commie government. Look at our banking system - It survived unscathed as yours was beaten into the ground? Commies are not capable of such super capitalistic feats. As for health care- even animals in a zoo have a vet - You guys don't. Now to your comment about guns and stock piled ammo...I don't need a gun- If I have a problem I call my private guards who are fully equipped with body armor and automatic weapons if need be ...they ARE CALLED COPS.....something you guys have lost control over...Think of Canada as a kingdom and our cops as the palace guard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey