Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 07:27 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,829,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
I don't know if the gun just went off or the 4 year old (holy crap, just 4 yrs old!) knew enough by watching his gun-luvin dad how to actually hold & shoot the damn thing. At 4 I was into big wheels and matchbox cars.

Gunnuttery is really a mental illness. Those stupid parents are going to have to live with this stain on them forever.
Back in the early 60s in Canada guns were every where. Every house especially in rural areas had guns. Our attitude towards them was NOT formed by Hollywood. We as kids would never consider even pointing one at a person or even THINKING about harming someone. A gun was no different that our bow and arrow- a knife or any other tool. Guns were fun. We did not possess them for self protection...nor did we have some idea that we needed to ward of home invasions. If we were bored that day we would get a couple of shot guns and put a few tin garbage cans in the back yard and blast away- The neighbors never complained..there were no squat teams creeping in...The attitude back them was NORMAL...the gun has become perverse in the minds of idiots..they think guns and violence along with intimidation is power...it's not - it just plain TROUBLE.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:43 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,346,094 times
Quote:
I don't know if the gun just went off or the 4 year old (holy crap, just 4 yrs old!) knew enough by watching his gun-luvin dad how to actually hold & shoot the damn thing. At 4 I was into big wheels and matchbox cars.

Gunnuttery is really a mental illness. Those stupid parents are going to have to live with this stain on them forever.
Perhaps if the parents (or gun owner) was actually charged with a crime, it would make gun owners stop and think ..hmmm...perhaps I should LOCK UP MY DAMN GUN. But probably not.

And how about the parents of the victim.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:45 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,227,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
Perhaps if the parents (or gun owner) was actually charged with a crime, it would make gun owners stop and think ..hmmm...perhaps I should LOCK UP MY DAMN GUN.
Seems likely the gun owner is a cop or retired cop. So forget about it.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:10 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,346,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Seems likely the gun owner is a cop or retired cop. So forget about it.
And just because someone is a cop or a retired cop shouldn't excuse them from common sense. If anything, law enforcement should be held to a HIGHER standard of intelligence when it comes to firearms! I'm tired of people getting a bye on this ... I don't have a problem with gun ownership, IF you follow the simple rule of keeping it locked up.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:12 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,029,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
Perhaps if the parents (or gun owner) was actually charged with a crime, it would make gun owners stop and think ..hmmm...perhaps I should LOCK UP MY DAMN GUN. But probably not.

And how about the parents of the victim.
There are countries which have laws to that effect - the registered gun owner is responsible for any crimes (yes this was an accident) committed with that gun. No oops, someone swiped my gun or lost it or sold it under the table to a guy at a bar. It's amazing how many people talk about responsibility but never really take it themselves.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:12 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,945,160 times
Quote:

At least one of those parents ought to live with that stain on them for at least a few years in prison.
I'm not a fan of gun regulation or of taking guns away from law abiding citizens. I think every American has the right to own a gun if they choose to do so. I also believe that with that right comes the responsibility of proper ownership. If you own a gun, you are responsible to make sure it doesn't end up in anyone else's hands. If your failure to secure your gun results in another person's death, you should have to take responsibility for that.
The crime of "Criminally Negligent Homicide" was added to the NJ penal code a few years ago. I wonder if leaving ones loaded firearm where a 4 year old can get it and kill a neighbor is an example of that crime.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:25 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,227,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
There are countries which have laws to that effect - the registered gun owner is responsible for any crimes (yes this was an accident) committed with that gun. No oops, someone swiped my gun or lost it or sold it under the table to a guy at a bar. It's amazing how many people talk about responsibility but never really take it themselves.
Personal responsibility means being responsible for what you do. Not being responsible for what others do. And certainly not being responsible for what other people who have done bad things to you (like steal your gun) do. Obviously a 4 year old cannot be responsible, so someone else must be responsible for him. But the general principle that one is responsible for what others do with one's possessions is not one of personal responsibility.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:28 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,945,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Personal responsibility means being responsible for what you do. Not being responsible for what others do. And certainly not being responsible for what other people who have done bad things to you (like steal your gun) do. Obviously a 4 year old cannot be responsible, so someone else must be responsible for him. But the general principle that one is responsible for what others do with one's possessions is not one of personal responsibility.
One clearly should be responsible enough to be sure one's four year old child cannot get to and use one's firearm.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:49 PM

20,349 posts, read 19,945,113 times
Quote:
T-Sporano; Wait til the NRA strolls into town. It was obviously everything but the weapon that led to that kid's death.
Quote:
PDD;Laws will never get changed. The NRA owns the Republican politicians. Their money is more important than the will of the majority voters..
Good Lord people, can't some of you take a break from your politics and personal prejudices?

A child was accidently killed by another child and somehow I don't think either family is giving much thought to anyone's affililations, political and otherwise.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:36 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,080,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Good Lord people, can't some of you take a break from your politics and personal prejudices?

A child was accidently killed by another child and somehow I don't think either family is giving much thought to anyone's affililations, political and otherwise.
But in case you missed it, it's ALL people & politicians have been talking about since Newtown. Now we have another dead child from a dopey gun owner's negligence. His rights are "protected" and all the 6 year old's family gets is a dead child...some tradeoff for one jackass's precious "rights". Lanza's mom knew he was insane and had more guns & ammo in the house than a friggin' army barracks. This dope in Toms River had loaded guns (many) that a 4 year old could grab & play with. Non-gun owners & sane gun owners shouldn't have to live next to people so stupid and negligent.

He'll probably get off easy but if I was a judge, I'd make him carry a placard around his neck for 10 years anytime he went out in public "My 4 yr. old son killed someone because I was too stupid to lock up my guns"

EDIT: Turns out the victim's mom DOES have opinions about guns:

Randy Holt, 39, of Toms River, created a Brandon Holt Memorial Fund. The family is deciding what the foundation will do.

But Brandon’s mother, Christine, wants to stop gun violence from touching any other family’s life.

“(Christine Holt) has a lot of strong feelings with it, and she is getting passionate with the gun control,” said Randy Holt. “And if she can assist other families (who are) going through tragedies. ...”
''

http://www.app.com/article/20130411/...amily-He-gift-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey