Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 05:45 PM

2 posts, read 26,636 times

Advertisements

I am a 3rd year at Rutgers and just signed a 1 year lease to an apartment in New Brunswick. The place is in my name and I will be the only one living there. The address on my license right now is in Jersey City. Do I have to change the address on my driver's license even if I do not know if I will renew the lease 1 year from now? Will I get in trouble or something if I don't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 07:10 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
Well basically and practically suppose they mail you something where you have a certain amount of time to respond or you get in to legal trouble, even something simple like a parking ticket. They need to get hold of you for your own sake. There are some legal guidelines you'd have to look up but its something like if you regularly show up or return to your legal address you are cool as is. Think it is a certain length of time, forget the details off hand.

Address change is fairly easy, they just mail you a sticker with the new address you stick onto the back of your license.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:43 PM

587 posts, read 2,177,912 times
Changing your address on your licenses is painless and can be done online. if you do make the change don't forget to change your address on your insurance.
However if your family lives at your old jersey city address and you regularly frequent it then it should be ok to keep the same address just for convenience. Your family can collect and hold any mail that's delivered till your next visit.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:55 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,963,074 times
If you are changing addresses between 2 NJ addresses, it's very easy to change it on your DL. You can do it online is 2 minutes:

Motor Vehicle Commission

(Upper left-hand corner, under "ONLINE SERVICES", click on "Change your address".)

They mail you stickers which you stick on the back of your license. The front of your license will still have your Jersey City address (until you have to go in to renew your DL and get a new one, at which time you may be at the point where you want to get the JC address changed to another permanent one).

In addition to what captne76 said, if you anticipate having to use your DL to show as ID/proof of address for any reason (e.g. at the bank, employment purposes), it might be good to have your current address.

Personally, I never bothered to change the address on my DL any of the 4 undergrad years I was there and I never had an issue. My address was on file as my parents' address in NJ.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:22 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,057,027 times
I wouldn't think it's necessary if you will only be living there for a year. The most important thing is to make sure your license address matches the address on your auto insurance.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:38 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,028,529 times
All of the above comments pretty much spell it out. An address change from Jersey to within Jersey is easy. You can do it online and you get a little sticker for the back of your license. Even if you're just there for the year, it's not a bad idea. You can just change back to your JC address and take the sticker off.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:48 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
It depends. Are you still a dependent of your parent(s) who live at the JC address? If so, there is no need to change (although given it's free and can be done online, I would just go ahead and do so). If the JC address was an apartment you rented, then absolutely you need to change.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:40 AM

256 posts, read 572,753 times
I never changed my address at Rutgers (I leased off campus my last two years). I don't think it's necessary unless you are changing your auto insurance.

Are your parents still in JC? Will you still be returning there for breaks? If so I don't see that you are a full time NB resident.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:17 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,660,438 times
Quote:
39:3-36. Notification of change of residence; fees, penalties; public awareness campaign.

39:3-36. a. A licensed operator shall notify the chief administrator of any change in residence within one week after the change is made. Notice shall be in such form and shall contain such information as the chief administrator may require. Upon notification, and payment of a fee of $5 for the license in addition to the digitized picture fee, the chief administrator shall provide the licensed operator with a new license.

The registered owner of a motor vehicle or a motorized bicycle shall notify the chief administrator of any change in residence within one week after the change is made. Notice shall be in such form and shall contain such information as the chief administrator may require. Upon notification, and payment of a fee of $5, the chief administrator shall provide the registered owner with a new registration certificate.
The state will send a sticker for the rear of the dl. That will suffice until the license and reg. is renewed.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:18 PM

161 posts, read 264,495 times
If your previous address is where your parents or family lives and you'll still be able to get your mail, no worries. You'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey