Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2013, 09:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,152 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My family and I will be relocating this summer for a new position close to Grand Central Station. We are a family with two kids, and are looking at private schools in Bergen county. I am wondering what the commute would be like? How long, mode of transport (bus, train, subway?), best communities, and other details.

I've really only gotten feedback that we should forget NJ and move to Westchester, but I'm not convinced!

Any feedback would be great!

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 09:48 PM

1,947 posts, read 3,324,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelusa View Post
Hi,

My family and I will be relocating this summer for a new position close to Grand Central Station. We are a family with two kids, and are looking at private schools in Bergen county. I am wondering what the commute would be like? How long, mode of transport (bus, train, subway?), best communities, and other details.

I've really only gotten feedback that we should forget NJ and move to Westchester, but I'm not convinced!

Thanks.
The commute will be a PIA. You have take a train or bus to Penn Station or the Port Authority then shelp over to Grand Central. So after you get to Penn you can walk 1.5 miles in the rain, snow or heat. Or you can take the 1, 2, or 3 train from Penn one stop to Times Square and then take the Shuttle (S) to Grand Central. Westchester is a much better option, but not a must. Lots of people do that Bergen County to midtown commute everyday. I work with them and they look half dead. They're easy to pick out. That commute ages you.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:12 PM

512 posts, read 1,018,590 times
Its Grand Central Terminal NOT station

Old 06-12-2013, 08:42 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,853,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinsj View Post
Its Grand Central Terminal NOT station
Yes, but nobody calls it that.

Just say "Grand Central." Period.

Last edited by daliowa; 06-12-2013 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 06-12-2013, 08:50 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,130,940 times
FWIW, there's two bus lines from Penn Station to the Grand Central area: The M4 & Q32 buses.

They start by 7th Avenue & 32nd Street, go down 32nd Street, and make a left on Madison. Madison & 42nd is a block from Grand Central.

Heading back, they go down 5th Avenue, make a right on 34th Street, and a left on 7th Avenue and leave you by Penn Station.

So depending on where exactly your office is, the commute might not be so bad. (If you're fairly close to 5th/Madison Avenue).

Also, the (E) train stops by Penn Station and the PABT and goes across 53rd Street, stopping at Lexington Avenue. If the job is in the high 40s or low 50s Streets, that might work as well.

Also, the Port Authority Bus Terminal is by 42nd Street & 8th Avenue, which is directly across town from Grand Central (take the 42nd Street shuttle one stop, or take the (7) train two stops).

Obviously, Metro-North would leave you in the immediate area, but it might not be too bad coming from Penn Station or the PABT.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:54 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,853,670 times
If you're going to put your kids in private school anyway just concentrate on finding a place with an easy commute for you & an easy commute for your spouse to schlep the kids back & forth to school a couple of times every day.

You'll only be commuting once back & forth, your wife will be doing a round trip twice each day.

Maybe something on the 4, 5, 6 or 7 subway lines so you'll get out of the subway right at your office.

And, buses, this page lists buses, look for ones that stop near Grand Central (42nd Street on the Eastside, i.e. Park, Lex.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BxM1_(New_York_City_bus)

Private schools have very limited spaces, so I suggest finding the school first.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:44 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,952,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelusa View Post
Hi,

Thanks.
simple take the bus to port authority then walk

Old 06-15-2013, 11:46 PM

286 posts, read 851,385 times
I live in Fort Lee in Bergen County. I had worked at JP Morgan near Grand Central for 8 months. What I did was walk to Bridge Plaza and got on a bus near the toll plaza for the George Washington Bridge. It took me across the bridge to the A train. I took A train to Penn Station. From there I got on the 7 train to Grand Central. I walked one block to Park Avenue where JPMOrgan is located. It takes an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey