Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2006, 11:31 AM

3 posts, read 17,008 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I have been reading about NJ on this forum and got a lot of info about NJ from here. I read the good points & bad points of NJ with avid interest. I am moving to NJ along with my family next month. I am planning to buy a townhouse here. Some builder who is related to my friend in NY has offered me a townhouse of 3000 sq ft for 450k at Nutley. I was told that schools are nearby and Manhattan is about 30 minutes ride.

Is the price the prevailing rate in that area for a 3000 sq ft house? Can someone who lives in nutley or has info on Nutley guide me about the general living conditions, neighborhood etc in nutley? Crime rate, cost of living, people etc.

Many thanks for your response.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2006, 02:48 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,716,399 times
Nutley is a pretty nice town, but it is starting to take that turn for the worse just like Belleville did a few years back.

The taxes are completely outrageous, and they keep going up and up and up, Car insurance will be higher as well since you will be living so close to Newark.

Like I said, Nutley is a fairly quaint town, but Essex Co. is just as bad as Hudson Co. when it comes to the raping of the residents for tax money.

I would personally consider Wayne, Totowa, or Little Falls if I ever decided to keep living in North Jersey.

Old 10-12-2006, 05:16 PM

Thanks for your response to the question. I would request some more members to contribute and guide me. If I had to settle in NJ, which would be the best places to live in? And how accessible is Manhattan from these places? What would be the house rates in these areas for buying?

Thanks again.

Old 10-13-2006, 06:42 AM

318 posts, read 450,779 times
I have a grandpa that lives in the Nutley area. For the most part it is a nice place to live. Suprisingly there are still decently affordable apartments there that are still inhabitated by US citizens.

However, many small communities in the town but up against The Parkway. Also some of the surrounding towns are not nice places.

Lastly there is also a very high Italian population in the area.

Overall I think there are better choices to settle in Jersey, but Nutley isn't bad.

Old 10-13-2006, 12:26 PM

Thanks for that info on Nutley. You say there are better choices in NJ. Can you please name them. I am completely ignorant about NJ. Appreciate all your help.

Thanks again

Old 10-13-2006, 06:13 PM

318 posts, read 450,779 times
If you are looking for real estate within the generally Nutley vacinity I would recommend Glen Ridge, which is like the town over. I find it to be much nicer.

Don't get me wrong Nutley isn't a bad place at all, but for whatever reason I just never liked the generally atmosphere of the town. I think Glen Ridge is nicer, although a bit more upscale. And if you want to go a little bit further away from Nutley Verona is beatiful.

I would recommended going to look at the town of Nutley. I personally get a bad vibe from it but that just might be me.

In terms of crime. It's not bad at all. However, Nutley does border some really bad places. Such as Bloomfield. You get some carry over crime from there. And Nutley is too close to "The Oranges" for me.

does that help? Or do you need more info?

Old 10-20-2006, 06:48 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,328,480 times
I agree...I was born and raised in Belleville and of course, hung out in Nutley. Although Nutley has continued to maintain a better community than Belleville, it is still getting it's fair share of spillover. Taxes are beyond outrageous and cross over into utterly insane. It is a very pretty town though and it does have a fairly tight community. Decent schools and activities if you have kids, close to Newark and NY if you commute and if you don't drive, you still have tons of access to the stores and little shops. It's "center of town" is still cute and sort of quaint (except Shoprite...that's been a madhouse for the past 15 years I think). Keep in mind though, it's probably the only good town left in it's vicinity until you get up toward Verona, so I don't know what the next 5, 10, 15 years will entail.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:58 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,659,735 times
I lived in Nutley for many years. Taxes have recently doubled and there is a lot of real estate for sale. Although I work in nearby Clifton, I moved to Whippany (Hanover Township) where taxes are more reasonable. They have Park & Ride, where you park your car for no charge and can take a bus right into Manhattan or there is a train station in Summit.

Old 01-17-2007, 03:55 PM

4,271 posts, read 6,295,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2jm3jm4jm5 View Post
In terms of crime. It's not bad at all. However, Nutley does border some really bad places. Such as Bloomfield. You get some carry over crime from there. And Nutley is too close to "The Oranges" for me.
Not all of Bloomfield is bad - the Brookdale/Oakview section is quite nice and we loved living there. And West Orange is a perfectly pleasant area to live as well.

My DH and I initially looked in Nutley for a house in 2001 and opted to buy in Bloomfield. For the five years we lived there we LOVED the area but got priced out by ever-rising property tax rates. But we always felt safe there, our neighbors were fantastic, and I'd recommend Bloomfield/Nutley to anyone that can afford to live there!!

Old 01-18-2007, 07:31 AM

146 posts, read 909,656 times
Nutley is a nice town. The taxes are outrageous. I am concerned about the town home you are purchasing though....if it is the townhome that is near the Target and route 21 DONT BUY IT!!!!! Those homes have soooooo many faults to them that there are pending lawsuits. The roofs are leaking, the foundation is cracking, those are just a few examples. $450k is way to high for them. Please have at least 2 inspectors out to see the place and make sure 1 of them is an independent contractor not working for the town.

Good luck but be very leary of those homes. Plus the taxes are outrageous for those town homes. Talk to the neighbors living in them to gain some perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey