Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 08:43 PM

16 posts, read 99,835 times

Advertisements

I want to move to Monroe Township in NJ but I'm not sure how is the community there because when I go there the houses are beautiful but nobody is around.
Please help me to make the right decision because I have kids and my husband has to commute to NY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 06:36 AM

43 posts, read 209,336 times
I am very familiar with Monroe and here are my 2 cents :

Monroe is beautiful, rural, and indeed very very popular with new construction. Its also home to I believe the largest active adult community population in NJ. Monroe is HUGE and has no "downtown" suburbia feel like other towns more North of it, so that is why you might feel ilke you are surrounded by nobody (I happy to like this personally). There will be many developers coming into Monroe and updating its old-farm look in the next decade. Think Route 33, Route 9 which already is bustling with activity, and the like. If you don't mind a slightly longer drive to most local spots (and again this depends on WHERE in gigantic monroe you live!), I would highly recommend it. The school system is very good from what I hear also.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:04 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by multitaskmom View Post
I want to move to Monroe Township in NJ but I'm not sure how is the community there because when I go there the houses are beautiful but nobody is around.
Please help me to make the right decision because I have kids and my husband has to commute to NY
When you say Monroe, do you mean in Glouster or over by Jamesburg?

Old 11-08-2007, 05:13 PM

Hi Roselvr

I mean by Jamesburg in middlesex county.. My husband is in love with the area and I'm more concern on how my kids will adopt in school and the future community ....

Thank you for asking..

Old 11-08-2007, 05:23 PM

I read a message that you sent to someone about Monroe and I appreciate how you help others with your time...I believe that this adult community help people and their schools..and also the young kids help them back.. which is very like what I'm looking for. There is a possibility to purchase a house in the highlands, because we have an offer in our house to buy this house in Monroe.

Thank you

Old 12-20-2007, 01:19 PM

24 posts, read 206,626 times
Thumbs up Moving to Monroe Township

Hello,

We in our early 30’s and lived in Queens, NY for 15 yrs and just moved to Monroe Twp. in Oct. 2007 and we love it here. The kids are very happy and love their new elementary school. We both worked in Manhattan, so one of us had to find a job near by to make sure we were able to pickup the kids by 6:00 pm because the commute to-and-from Manhattan is about 2 hrs each way. I was lucky to find a job immediately and as soon as my wife finishes her college she too will look for something near by. We hardly go to New York now...no need. Monroe Twp. offers so much along with peace, serenity and relief from life in the fast lane. If you are moving from NY then this would be a great move because NY does not offer much for the price and the schools in NY are over crowded. Monroe Twp. has great schools. The only thing is that property taxes here are $8K – $15k compared to the 5 boroughs $3k - $5k, and you will pay about $30/month for garbage removal & $60-$90/month for law services, unless you buy your own lawn tractor which I plan to purchase. Overall, money shouldn’t be everything. You work so hard, you should be able to spend some time with kids and relax at the same time…that’s my 2 cents.
Take a look @ http://www.renaissanceprop.com/resid...s/overview.php

Old 12-20-2007, 01:23 PM

24 posts, read 206,626 times
Default Much better life in Monroe

Hello,

We in our early 30’s and lived in Queens, NY for 15 yrs and just moved to Monroe Twp. in Oct. 2007 and we love it here. The kids are very happy and love their new elementary school. We both worked in Manhattan, so one of us had to find a job near by to make sure we were able to pickup the kids by 6:00 pm because the commute to-and-from Manhattan is about 2 hrs each way. I was lucky to find a job immediately and as soon as my wife finishes her college she too will look for something near by. We hardly go to New York now...no need. Monroe Twp. offers so much along with peace, serenity and relief from life in the fast lane. If you are moving from NY then this would be a great move because NY does not offer much for the price and the schools in NY are over crowded. Monroe Twp. has great schools. The only thing is that property taxes here are $8K – $15k compared to the 5 boroughs $3k - $5k, and you will pay about $30/month for garbage removal & $60-$90/month for law services, unless you buy your own lawn tractor which I plan to purchase. Overall, money shouldn’t be everything. You work so hard, you should be able to spend some time with kids and relax at the same time…that’s my 2 cents.
Take a look @ http://www.renaissanceprop.com/resid...s/overview.php

Old 12-20-2007, 01:23 PM

222 posts, read 1,025,690 times
Have relatives in monroe. Definitely beautiful new big homes going up. But I have to believe the taxes there are going to skyrocket. Its a big town but there's starting to be lots of traffic in weird places that weren't meant to handle that number of cars. Plus, they're going to need to build schools with all the new homes going up.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:45 PM

2 posts, read 20,969 times
MultitaskMom, I'm going to do you
a favor and save you from making a mistake. Do not move to Monroe it's a retirement area and not at all good for families or kids (no sense of community). Plus it's bad to commute to NYC, no train station close by. I've lived and traveled Central Jesey extensively for years. It may cost a bit more but the best place to live in that 30 miles radius is West Windsor by far. 1) True family community. 2) #9 high school in the state. 3) Princeton Junction Train station in town to NYC

Old 12-20-2007, 07:54 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,926,367 times
Nobody is around because they're all at work so they can afford the houses. LOL. I'm just teasing. My aunt and uncle have lived in Monroe my entire life-raised two sons there-they are very happy there. I think it's a great town, and do not agree with AJRomano about the quality of the town. The commute does suck-I'll agree with that. You will need to take back roads to get to any major highway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey