Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 11:04 AM

690 posts, read 964,323 times

Advertisements

I live next to the Meadowlands, seems like Long Branch and Sandy Hook are good options? How do they compare? I like a less crowded beach without too many children and noise. I don't need any attractions or what not, just a place to relax and swim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 11:55 AM

382 posts, read 721,970 times
Before I had a car in New Jersey, Long Branch was the first beach I went to, as it's on the train line. I remember I got off the train, asked an elderly woman for directions to the beach, and she replied, "Oh, you don't want to go there. But you should see the new shopping center that just opened down the road..."

Classic. But we did see Long Branch, which had clearly peaked about the time when President Chester Arthur used to swim there (I'm being a bit facetious, as there are nice areas of Long Branch away from the train line).

But my advice would be to drive down to Sandy Hook, where there are few amenities (besides a frequently closed restaurant and some ice cream trucks), but several beaches (including, I believe, an unofficial nude beach). It's "carry in/carry out", and I don't know if there are even lifeguards on duty, but it seems like it's a bit wilder (in the natural, not party animal, sense) than a lot of shore locations.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Josef the Chewable View Post
Before I had a car in New Jersey, Long Branch was the first beach I went to, as it's on the train line. I remember I got off the train, asked an elderly woman for directions to the beach, and she replied, "Oh, you don't want to go there. But you should see the new shopping center that just opened down the road..."

Classic. But we did see Long Branch, which had clearly peaked about the time when President Chester Arthur used to swim there (I'm being a bit facetious, as there are nice areas of Long Branch away from the train line).

But my advice would be to drive down to Sandy Hook, where there are few amenities (besides a frequently closed restaurant and some ice cream trucks), but several beaches (including, I believe, an unofficial nude beach). It's "carry in/carry out", and I don't know if there are even lifeguards on duty, but it seems like it's a bit wilder (in the natural, not party animal, sense) than a lot of shore locations.
yes, i would be driving
i heard that sandy hook bridge can get pretty congested? long branch seems a little closer?

Old 07-09-2013, 04:20 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,828,140 times
been to Sandy Hook, great beach, not too crazy about the nude part of the beach though.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:27 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,020,902 times

Among the many beaches on Sandy Hook, Gunnison Beach is clothing optional

Officially clothing optional.....

Old 07-09-2013, 04:32 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stechkin View Post
yes, i would be driving
i heard that sandy hook bridge can get pretty congested? long branch seems a little closer?
Only if you are holding the map upside down...

Old 07-09-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Only if you are holding the map upside down...

well no becuz i heard the traffic can be bad on that bridge, its obviously not closer distance wise, but i meant faster to get to

Old 07-09-2013, 07:18 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
I go to Long Branch. Long Branch is a city of about 40,000 people, and there are different types of areas in Long Branch and several different beaches. At the northern end, you have Seven Presidents Beach, which is a Monmouth County Park. Lots of kids there. Moving down along Ocean Avenue, you have the beach by Pier Village, the beach by the Ocean Place resort (where the palm trees are) and other sections of beach, such as Madison Avenue Beach and others named for the local street. At the southern end of Long Branch, you have the section inexplicably named "West End", which is west of nothing but the Atlantic Ocean. I usually go to West End beach. It's a little shorter this year than it was last year, but it's OK. It's usual more local types hanging out there because there are condos and apartments and no concessions or anything immediately along the beach road there. (There was a "Surf Shack" that sold drinks and food and ice cream that sadly was so damaged by Sandy that it was torn down.) You can walk from West End beach, however, over to the original Windmill for burgers/hot dogs/fries or you can get pizza or tacos or burgers/sandwiches on Brighton Avenue.

http://www.app.com/article/20130525/...ch-Beach-Guide

Re Sandy Hook--it's a National Park and it gets so crowded on the weekends that it's often full by 10 a.m. You'll see signs on the Parkway proclaiming this. Sandy Hook suffered a LOT of damage from Sandy--it only opened for public access May 1. It was covered with sand. Like Retriever said, pull out a map. Sandy Hook is a...hook, meaning a narrow strip of land that juts out from New Jersey separating the Raritan Bay from the Atlantic Ocean. It's eastern side is the first part of NJ that is on the ocean. Going south from there, the beach towns are Sea Bright, Monmouth Beach, and then Long Branch.

Sandy Hook is exit 117. Long Branch is 105. To get to West End, take Route 36 (that's where you'll end up when you take the exit) but don't keep going straight (36 takes you directly to Seven Presidents). Instead, get off at the exit that says "West Long Branch" and it might say Monmouth University. It's Route 71. Just follow that all the way to Ocean Avenue--it's a couple of miles and you will pass the University, and then make a left when you hit Ocean Avenue. You might get lucky if you're early enough and find a parking space on the streets on the ocean side of Ocean Avenue, but if not, park on one of the side streets on the other side of Ocean and walk the two blocks or so. It doesn't cost anything to park on those side streets. Up closer to Pier Village, parking lots are charging $20 to park for the day.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:09 PM

so is long branch less crowded than sandy hook?

Old 07-09-2013, 08:12 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stechkin View Post
so is long branch less crowded than sandy hook?
You didn't get that from what I wrote? They CLOSE Sandy Hook because it gets to full capacity early on the weekends. Plus, you pay by the carload, not the person at Sandy Hook so people go there because it's cheaper.

So, to summarize what I wrote above, yes. Sandy Hook is more crowded than Long Branch, and some beaches in Long Branch are more crowded than other beaches in Long Branch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey