Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 11:04 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times

Advertisements

What does everyone think about this? MTV wants to film 'Snooki and Jwoww' (you know… 2 of the Jersey Shore fools ) season 3 on location at a bay front home on Pelican Island. The owner of the home apparently rented his home out to these 2 and their families for about a month and a half to film this show, though this exact info is a little unclear.

Residents are pretty mad about it. They don't want film crews and the tourists reality stars bring coming through this area that is still reeling from Sandy. An area where most residents still cannot live (the area is still mostly vacant), and where construction to raise, rebuild, and demolish homes is still ongoing. Apparently, filming will take place on the island and in Seaside Heights.

I think it's inappropriate to film a show - especially one as silly as this one - in a residential community that is still recovering from a major storm. As the article says, most people aren't in their homes, yet a reality show will be taking place in their community? I wouldn't like it, either. Maybe it's not as big a deal as they're making it, but I still think it's not the time or place for MTV to be doing this. Definitely tasteless, IMO.

What do you all think about this? If you lived here (or if you happen to), would you have a problem with filming taking place at this time? Should they move to a different location that fared better in the storm?

Pelican Island residents mull options to prevent Snooki from vacationing there | NJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 11:09 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
I would think this would bring money in to the community.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:04 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
As long as the crew stays on public property or property where they get permission, I don't see a problem with it.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:34 PM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
I would see the objections if it were the old crew who was getting drunk all the time, but Snooki has a baby now and J Woww I believe is engaged, so it's not going to be a frat house like Jersey Shore was. Honestly I don't know what there is to even make a show of?

Old 07-22-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I would see the objections if it were the old crew who was getting drunk all the time, but Snooki has a baby now and J Woww I believe is engaged, so it's not going to be a frat house like Jersey Shore was. Honestly I don't know what there is to even make a show of?
Well, this is true!

It seems to me that the problem is the fact that Snooki and Jwoww will be living in and filming in an area still rebuilding, where the majority of residents still cannot live in their homes. IMO it is a little insensitive for MTV to choose such a devastated area to film in this soon. Between construction and tourism generated by the show (people wanting to stalk the stars, check out the area, gawk at everyone and everything, more bay traffic from people trying to get a glimpse from boats), I don't think residents want any more attention in their area. It seems they want to quietly restore their area and go back to their normal lives. Normal isn't filming a stupid reality show when they're trying to put their homes back together.

I'm sure that if Sandy didn't happen and these 2 were trying to film in this neighborhood, people still wouldn't be happy about it, but to me, MTV is making a bad decision location wise here.

I don't object to the money being brought in, of course, or even more attention to the area - good or bad. But I do object to MTV's willingness to film in a damaged area when most people still can't even live at home. To me, it's not right. Tasteless, as I said.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:23 PM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Well, this is true!

It seems to me that the problem is the fact that Snooki and Jwoww will be living in and filming in an area still rebuilding, where the majority of residents still cannot live in their homes. IMO it is a little insensitive for MTV to choose such a devastated area to film in this soon. Between construction and tourism generated by the show (people wanting to stalk the stars, check out the area, gawk at everyone and everything, more bay traffic from people trying to get a glimpse from boats), I don't think residents want any more attention in their area. It seems they want to quietly restore their area and go back to their normal lives. Normal isn't filming a stupid reality show when they're trying to put their homes back together.

I'm sure that if Sandy didn't happen and these 2 were trying to film in this neighborhood, people still wouldn't be happy about it, but to me, MTV is making a bad decision location wise here.

I don't object to the money being brought in, of course, or even more attention to the area - good or bad. But I do object to MTV's willingness to film in a damaged area when most people still can't even live at home. To me, it's not right. Tasteless, as I said.
IMO, if neighbors are mad at anyone, it should be the homeowner who chose to rent to the show.

"Berkeley Township Mayor Carmen Amato said a local Realtor, not MTV, approached the township about filming in a home at 515 Sunset Drive South.
Michael Loundy, the owner of Seaside Realty and the director of community improvements for Seaside Heights, owns that home, according to property tax records."

Old 07-22-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
IMO, if neighbors are mad at anyone, it should be the homeowner who chose to rent to the show.

"Berkeley Township Mayor Carmen Amato said a local Realtor, not MTV, approached the township about filming in a home at 515 Sunset Drive South.
Michael Loundy, the owner of Seaside Realty and the director of community improvements for Seaside Heights, owns that home, according to property tax records."
Definitely, and I think they are.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:32 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
Oh come on already. It's not even real TV. It's a satellite cable channel. A couple of kids playing in their backyard. Who cares?

Old 07-22-2013, 10:44 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
They did a season in my neighborhood a year or two ago. They were in and out in a matter of weeks and I hardly noticed. A bunch of neighbors and neighborhood business owners were upset before they arrived, but during and after the shoot, the complaining dissipated. Most of the time it was just the two of them walking around with a camera guy following them. They weren't closing streets or creating a scene (surprisingly).

Old 07-23-2013, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Oh come on already. It's not even real TV. It's a satellite cable channel. A couple of kids playing in their backyard. Who cares?
Look, I don't care they're filming a show. I can see why residents care that they're filming in a damaged area, where people still cannot live, with ongoing construction, though. In my opinion, it's not appropriate and they could pick a different area that wasn't hit as hard. That's all.

Also, they're filming here for about a month and a half. They won't be moving locations too much. If the girls' house is on this island, filming will probably primarily be there, and apparently in Seaside Heights, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey