Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 05:33 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,465,167 times

Advertisements

USATODAY.com - Mountain lions on the prowl once again

Considering they've been extinct east of the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers except in Florida for over a century and there haven't been any confirmed sightings in New Jersey since then, I highly doubt that there are any in New Jersey. In the age of smartphones, no one has even taken a photo of these New Jersey mountain lions that many have claimed to have sighted. Mountain Lions in New Jersey are as real as Bigfoot until proven otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 05:55 PM

5 posts, read 7,518 times
I have personally seen both bobcat and lynx in West Milford. Never a Mountain Lion, but I am certain they are living in Northern NJ.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:15 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,992,041 times
If there are indeed mountain lions in the state, lets just hope they don't reach the pines barren.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:51 PM

19,118 posts, read 25,313,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post

Considering they've been extinct east of the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers except in Florida for over a century and there haven't been any confirmed sightings in New Jersey since then, I highly doubt that there are any in New Jersey. In the age of smartphones, no one has even taken a photo of these New Jersey mountain lions that many have claimed to have sighted. Mountain Lions in New Jersey are as real as Bigfoot until proven otherwise.
There was a confirmed Mountain Lion death in CT, about 2 1/2 years ago.
If one of these creatures was able to migrate further East, to CT...Why is it impossible for one or more of them to be present in NJ?

Mountain lion killed by car on Connecticut highway - CNN.com

Old 10-23-2013, 11:43 AM

3 posts, read 19,474 times
Default I can't believe some people just won't accept it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post

Consider this the confirmed sighting. TylerJAX, read my previous posts. I have seen them twice in Jersey and twice in Oregon. Without a doubt. I know very well how to differentiate them between other animals (ie bobcat, fox, golden retrievers, deer). Talk to any of the rangers or locals up there as I have. Many have seen them. All those rangers are seeing things? no. So, get out around dusk a lot around Wawayanda and the surrounding area and you might see them too!

Old 11-27-2013, 03:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,393 times
Default actually there are

This is from the dear cam 2 nights ago in my backyard:
Well it wont let me post a pic.. oh well... i dont care for you non believers. If you want the picture message me your email. They are here and here to stay. Plenty of food (1 dear a week) and plenty of trees to call home. Skeptics be quiet.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:45 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,722,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil xt View Post
This is from the dear cam 2 nights ago in my backyard:
Well it wont let me post a pic.. oh well... i dont care for you non believers. If you want the picture message me your email. They are here and here to stay. Plenty of food (1 dear a week) and plenty of trees to call home. Skeptics be quiet.
Trees to call home?

Felis/Puma concolor, of the NE variety, typically weighs 100 lbs. They are not making their "homes" in trees.

This is likely one of only a handful of cougars in NJ. She isn't wild, and any legitimate sightings are likely, captive escapees.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:08 PM

19,118 posts, read 25,313,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil xt View Post
This is from the dear cam 2 nights ago in my backyard
You must REALLY like that camera!

Old 11-27-2013, 06:26 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,584,341 times
I'm sure it's possible there are mountain lions in NJ. I have never seen one, but I know we have bobcats, plenty of bears, and other animals. Also, I'm sure there are several nutters around the state who have one penned up in their apartments. It's entirely possible that one of those things killed its captor and escaped. Wasn't there a mayor of a town in NJ a few years back who swore he saw a cougar in his yard?

Old 11-27-2013, 07:02 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,722,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I'm sure it's possible there are mountain lions in NJ. I have never seen one, but I know we have bobcats, plenty of bears, and other animals. Also, I'm sure there are several nutters around the state who have one penned up in their apartments. It's entirely possible that one of those things killed its captor and escaped. Wasn't there a mayor of a town in NJ a few years back who swore he saw a cougar in his yard?
The range required by a cougar is exponentially larger than a bobcat. And ecologically you would need enough of those ranges to maintain a breeding population.

As an aside not everyone who keeps cougars is a "nutter". My father was licensed on the state and federal level (USDI) to keep exotic cats as part of his zoological and educational work with conservation groups. Many, many people keep them safely and for important reasons. You just never hear horror stories about us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey