Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 04:56 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,682,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
There are actually 3 different companies with the Kohr's name -- different branches of the same family, I think. Confusing, yes?

Here is an excellent article from 2009:

IN SEARCH OF . . .; There's a Triple Dip Of These Descendants Making Frozen Custard - New York Times

Quote:

There are actually three companies with the Kohr name selling custard along the Jersey Shore. Two of them reside on the Seaside Heights boardwalk: Original Kohr's and Kohr's Frozen Custard Inc. They sell three main products: hard ice cream, soft-serve and frozen yogurt. (All but the yogurt use a family recipe.) A third company, Kohr Brothers, based in Charlottesville, Va., operates 40 shops in 10 states, 11 at the Jersey Shore. They sell strictly soft-serve custard, using their family recipe.

Here is an article about the fire and the Kohr family who owned the ones burned:

'My first home': Owner of boardwalk custard stand shocked by devastating blaze - U.S. News
Very interesting! I always wondered why they had so many stands in the same place. I find it a bit strange that there are 3 separately owned chains with the same name - if someone had a bad experience at one they would probably associate all of them with it. Now that I think of it some say frozen custard and others don't. I used to think that those stands sold frozen custard instead of ice cream but I guess not.

I have also read several articles that state the fire is not deemed suspicious but the investigation is mandatory. Someone on a FB forum I'm on said that electrical wires run under the businesses as well so that sounds highly likely. I realize you never know what some people are capable of, especially if they are desperate, but my gut tells me this was accidental. I really hope I'm right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 06:32 PM

1,620 posts, read 3,774,845 times
From all of the coverage I am glad to see that it was only actually 4 blocks of boardwalk (still sad, but not as bad as I thought). They made it sound they lost 20 miles of it.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:04 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,215,561 times
I was both sadden, disbelieved, and even a little bit angry that this had happened. You guys JUST rebuild those businesses and the parts of the boardwalk that was damaged and/or destroyed by Sandy and then this happens. I just couldn't believe that you guys just can't seem to catch a break. My most sincerest thoughts to all of you up in New Jersey! Please don't give in to despair and I know that you guys had handled a lot worse before but I still wish that these most unfortunate events could just leave you guys alone in peace. Smh.

Much love from Maryland!

(Not my pic)

Old 09-15-2013, 09:09 PM

107 posts, read 195,900 times
OMG, I heard the Sawmill only recieved minor damage, that's amazing considering its right across from where the fire orginated. (I love that mega-sized pizza!)

Old 09-16-2013, 06:29 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Interesting bit there, JerseyGirl08. I definitely see the concern but I also think that wind conditions yesterday made this fire much worse. Perhaps it was just an electrical fire that got out of hand because of the perfect way the wind was blowing to help spread the fire. There have been fires at the boardwalk before but not quite as bad because conditions were on the firemen's side. Not so yesterday.

If it was arson, I have a hard time understanding why. That section of the boardwalk did well in Sandy because Funtown Pier took the brunt of the damage. That Kohr's they initially believed it started at was fully operational as were most nearby businesses. The Kohr's building is also extremely old, as are most of them - you can tell just by looking at them. That section of the boardwalk was mostly still old and hadn't yet been redone. They were going to fix that up after this summer season, as well as Funtown Pier, which was supposed to be completed for next summer all along. So what I'm trying to say is, most businesses were back in business after suffering decent damage, nothing catastrophic like elsewhere along the boardwalk and town, and the only issue was lower summer revenue this year. The boardwalk and pier were both supposed to be done for next summer so why start a fire? Perhaps I'm being naive here but to me it doesn't make much sense. Torching buildings that survived and were rebuilt just fine? Especially considering investigators now are good at finding out whether or not fires are intentional so why take the risk?
Agree, a fire of that magnitude will always be investigated. Just love the phrasing "officials" deem it suspicious...yeah right WHAT official..name please and until they supply a name it is just media speculation, as we all know there is no "actual" journalism anymore just hype and speculation.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:20 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,682,825 times
Seaside fire: Wires damaged by Sandy ignited boardwalk blaze, officials say | NJ.com

It was electrical - no one started it.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:15 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanks34 View Post
This is exactly what I expected. Good to hear it for sure, though.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:22 PM

341 posts, read 679,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Agree, a fire of that magnitude will always be investigated. Just love the phrasing "officials" deem it suspicious...yeah right WHAT official..name please and until they supply a name it is just media speculation, as we all know there is no "actual" journalism anymore just hype and speculation.

I agree.

It seems like the various mainstream news outlets are playing one big kindergarten-type game of telephone operator; by the time the story gets to the listener it may not even remotely resemble the truth.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:09 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
This is exactly what I expected. Good to hear it for sure, though.
Agree and hopefully other businesses that had water, especially ocean salt water damage really check out their electrical system.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:13 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,151,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neon_volt View Post
OMG, I heard the Sawmill only recieved minor damage, that's amazing considering its right across from where the fire orginated. (I love that mega-sized pizza!)
That's hopeful.

Also, the Beachcomber Bar & Grill commented on their Facebook page yesterday that "we are pleased to announce the damage from the fire was not too severe. We have started our repairs and plan to be resume normal operating hours within a week or two. Thank you again and we will continue to give updates on our progress!"

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey