Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 11:37 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,739,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
Despite some people hammering away that compensation in the public sector is better, that was never the case.
do you have any sources for this claim? anything with actual numbers has always shown that to be the case, then there comes to reasons dispersed by public sector union officials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 01:25 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,418,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
do you have any sources for this claim? anything with actual numbers has always shown that to be the case, then there comes to reasons dispersed by public sector union officials.
well, the CBO report you posted, though it breaks it down by education level, it does not compare like jobs. So, while college educated public sector workers make more than college educated private sector workers, there's no accounting for the fact that my college educated cousin is a yoga instructor and my college educated friend works at starbucks, and etc.

I can tell you from my own experience of looking at jobs, anecdotally, that if I were to become an auditor for the Fed, or go work for the GAO, I would make substantially less than I would at any reasonably respected accounting firm. If my wife leaves CVS and goes to the VA, she'd be taking about a 25% paycut.

When you actually look at like-for-like jobs...the salaries are lower, and the benefits make up some of the difference. the true draw, in my opinion, is the guaranteed benefits that you don't get in the private sector. I'd be willing to live now on less salary (well, if my wife got a VA job), for the security of here having the retirement benefits they offer. I'd be diversifying my retirement planning.

my uncle retired from working for PA, started working about 35 years ago. And though he's a staunch conservative, he'll tell you flat out that his pension was the reason you took that job over working in the private sector where you could make substantially more money.

I also have friends who work for SSA and if they left, their salaries would go up.

Yeah, it's all anecdotal, so i don't expect you to agree with me, but i've seen enough job openings that I consider to know that for me and my wife and other family, it doesnt even come close.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:02 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,629,164 times
I would say certain jobs in the public sector pay better than private and certain jobs pay worse. According to the Director of my department management salaries in the public sector pale in comparison to management positions in the private sector.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:50 PM

11,361 posts, read 16,730,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
except if you understood the big picture, you'd realize that state worker was given the pension benefit in lieu of a higher salary. Despite some people hammering away that compensation in the public sector is better, that was never the case. And as for pensions in general, I highly recommend reading a book titled Retirement Heist authored by a Wall Street Journal financial journalist. It explains a lot about the death of pensions.
Ding ding ding...we have a winner.

This was true maybe 30-40 years ago, but not within the last 20 years.

Just one example, teachers 40 years ago weren't making a ton of money but at least they had great benefits and a good pension. Then the 1980's came about and their salaries started to move up rather quickly.

Today the average teacher in NJ is making over $50,000 and they still maintain their great benefits and pension.

I would compare just about any private/public employee who has been in the same company/field and all things being equal, would guarantee that the public employee is doing much better.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:53 PM

Of all my friends and relatives the private sector employees do much better than the public sector employees.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:05 PM

19,145 posts, read 25,367,790 times
The question that comes to mind at this point is...
If state employees are so richly rewarded...Why are people in the private sector not rushing to apply for those wonderful state jobs?

Old 01-17-2014, 05:10 PM

Retriever some are. We get a lot of applications from people that work in retail and at small companies as well as military. We never get people from Fortune 500 or successful accounting, law or financial firms.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
The question that comes to mind at this point is...
If state employees are so richly rewarded...Why are people in the private sector not rushing to apply for those wonderful state jobs?

Pretty much you had to get on the train some years ago before the State realized that it's going broke (ie: City of Detroit).

Old 01-17-2014, 05:26 PM

Camaro- you just post things to fit your narrative. If the private sector work place is so bad and government so great what you wrote makes no sense.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
Camaro- you just post things to fit your narrative. If the private sector work place is so bad and government so great what you wrote makes no sense.
I never said the private sector is bad. I admitted that the public employes many years ago gave up salary for benefits. But within the last 30 years, the public sector has caught up and in some cases passed the private sector in regard to salary and kept their benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey