Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 06:07 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
Captain you are generalizing again. Not all government jobs pay more for a masters degree.
you realize that I have no choice but to generalize right? I know im generalizing and wont be correct in all cases. but there are millions of government workers, countless government departments, various levels of government and I don't have the ability to really do a thorough evaluation. I was just at dinner with my mother whose bf's sister got a job with 311. she takes complaints for the police department. 311 is a giant welfare program for jobs and being bounced around 311 helps you see how many make work jobs and phony boloney government "departments" there are.

but I digress as usual. I have no choice but to generalize. all I want is enough scrutiny to ensure equity between the public and private sector (or public sector be worse off than private sector). if you don't scrutinize the public sector, they will rob the taxpayers blind. except MQ, she should get a raise and more benefits. oh and I want the public sector to be less than half its current size.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 01-26-2014 at 06:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Think of those public employees with a masters degree and proficient skills as those who have the generous heart to serve this country and help it succeed, not as people sucking dry taxpayer money. Learn to like your fellow people. Hatred among citizens on basis of the kind of jobs they are enrolled is likely leads to a crumbled society. Live and let live.
I think about my employees and how I cant possibly afford to compensate like their public sector equivalent because I am limited in what I can charge customers and don't have the ability to just demand our customers pay more so we can pay our workers more and offer more benefits.

I think of public sector employees with a masters degree as people who make the smart decision to play the system because they know they are guaranteed a pay increase if they get a masters degree. the degree doesn't magically make them more proficient at their jobs, it gets them a pay increase.

I also don't have hatred for them and don't particularly love that accusation. it reminds me of some whiney lady that said she was a teacher and asked why the governor hates her. nobody hates people for being overcompensated thanks to stealing money from us. but that sweetheart who is sad people don't like her will take every last penny of my money if she could and someone needs to protect the taxpayers to stop that from happening.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:29 PM

88,528 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
you realize that I have no choice but to generalize right? I know im generalizing and wont be correct in all cases. but there are millions of government workers, countless government departments, various levels of government and I don't have the ability to really do a thorough evaluation. I was just at dinner with my mother whose bf's sister got a job with 311. she takes complaints for the police department. 311 is a giant welfare program for jobs and being bounced around 311 helps you see how many make work jobs and phony boloney government "departments" there are.

but I digress as usual. I have no choice but to generalize. all I want is enough scrutiny to ensure equity between the public and private sector (or public sector be worse off than private sector). if you don't scrutinize the public sector, they will rob the taxpayers blind. except MQ, she should get a raise and more benefits. oh and I want the public sector to be less than half its current size.
CaptainNJ for Governor.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:50 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,625,860 times
To get the government to half it's size what functions do you want to get rid of?

Do you want to end public education?
End local police for every town under a certain population?
Get rid of all library systems?

What changes would you like to see?
On the state level the cost of operations in the State budget is 14-18%. That includes employee compensation, rents, electric bills cost of supplies etc. I will check for the exact number later. At least at the State level employee costs are no where near a large budget item.
http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/omb/...f/citguide.pdf

See page 15-

Old 01-27-2014, 05:50 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,074,430 times
Quote:
To get the government to half it's size what functions do you want to get rid of?

On the state level the cost of operations in the State budget is 14-18%. That includes employee compensation, rents, electric bills cost of supplies etc. I will check for the exact number later. At least at the State level employee costs are no where near a large budget item.

See page 15-
Let's ask Rick Perry. He always has a well-thought out answer:

PERRY: I will tell you, it is three agencies of government when I get there that are gone. Commerce, Education, and the -- What's the third one there? Let's see.
(LAUGHTER)

PAUL: Five.

PERRY: Five. Okay. Commerce, Education, and the --

[UNKNOWN]: EPA?

PERRY: EPA. There you go.

Q: Seriously -- is EPA one you are talking about?

PERRY: No, sir, no, sir. We are talking about the -- agencies of government -- EPA needs to be rebuilt.

Q: You can't -- you can't name the third one?

PERRY: The third agency of government I would -- I would do away with Education, the --

Q: Commerce.

PERRY: Commerce and, let's see. I can't. The third one, I can't. Sorry. Oops.

Oops indeed, you moron.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:34 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,321,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Let's ask Rick Perry. He always has a well-thought out answer:

PERRY: I will tell you, it is three agencies of government when I get there that are gone. Commerce, Education, and the -- What's the third one there? Let's see.
(LAUGHTER)

PAUL: Five.

PERRY: Five. Okay. Commerce, Education, and the --

[UNKNOWN]: EPA?

PERRY: EPA. There you go.

Q: Seriously -- is EPA one you are talking about?

PERRY: No, sir, no, sir. We are talking about the -- agencies of government -- EPA needs to be rebuilt.

Q: You can't -- you can't name the third one?

PERRY: The third agency of government I would -- I would do away with Education, the --

Q: Commerce.

PERRY: Commerce and, let's see. I can't. The third one, I can't. Sorry. Oops.

Oops indeed, you moron.
And yet a state like NJ formerly run by a well-educated, sophisticated governor (Corzine) who liked to make fat jokes is ranked dead last in financial health. Maybe it goes to show even a moron can run a state better than an ivy league, entitled, wall street, liar?

Old 01-27-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:

See page 15-
this is another one of those questions that requires more in depth discussion/analysis than is practical here. its easier to focus broadly on the federal government before going to local governments; but its not like im going to pick and choose from the federal budget also. id like to see the military slashed in half. homeland security including NSA, CIA, FBI, etc. slashed largely. if you legalize drugs, you can slash your judicial branches at various levels of government as well as cut police and prisons. privatize any federal service that is possible to privatize (like TSA, postal service, etc.). cut federal departments like the State Department, Department of Education, EPA, Department of Energy, etc. thats not to necessarily say they would not exist federally, but just cut them down to a miniscule oversight role over state departments. if you want to pay me a salary and public sector level benefits i will take the entire federal budget and whatever local budgets you wish and review them for cuts.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:04 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,398,016 times
Quote:
most jobs in the private sector wont just bump your pay up automatically because you got yourself masters degree. we shouldn't be employing people holding masters degrees in most government jobs where they have them. as a taxpayer, I don't want to pay for people who have masters degrees.
i saw some ridiculous pay differences in people doing the same exact job when i used to do consulting work and could see salaries...and the only difference was the masters degree

Old 01-27-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
one thing you hear about it freezes in raises. does that mean nobody gets their pay raised or do people still get increases via some kind of "promotion" of some kind. I think for being employed a certain amount of time. I don't know the right terminology, hopefully you know what I mean.
a friend who works at SSA said they also have a hiring freeze...which means she will never get promoted. this is quite common too. and they can't just invent promotions and titles like they do in the private sector, because the jobs are all defined already. there's a huge amount of red tape to go through to get new jobs (kinda like how it is at my company) added to a group's headcount.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, we were set up by Hay back in 1989, but it wasn't the same system as the state. They just redid our structure and got rid of the old Hay system. Then HR ran around to all the offices and put a dog and pony show on explaining how the new structure would work. But when it was question time and it was asked if any raises would be forthcoming, the answer was "um...we don't know". So now staff have a new level system and in some cases new job titles, but nothing has changed except that some consulting firm just made a boatload of money.
i used to do that kinda crap! lol. i liked to call it corporate prostitution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey