Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 10:59 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,768,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
^This.

It's just so much fun to make assumptions about people and their jobs that they know nothing about.
so what am I supposed to do? government workers dont want negative blanket statements; they want to be judged broadly by the small % that actually work for a living. there is no point in tom trying to attack private sector compensation because private sector businesses earn their revenue while government just takes it. they hire tons of people to reduce unemployment and then politically active public sector unions suck taxpayers dry because they "earn" money buy paying off politicians to funnel it their way. many government jobs are just another component of "workfare." but not all of them are, of course, some of them work hard and earn their pay. so now you cant criticize all of the one's that are worthless to the American taxpayer. maybe we should just privatize all departments of government. let corporations buy the state department, freeze their budgets and whatever costs the corporation can cut is their profit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 12:23 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,630,922 times
I never attacked anyone's compensation. I do not live in a world of envy, half truths and stereotype.

I actually feel sorry for many of you with this "someone has it better than me" whiney attitude. Everyone of my private sector friends and relatives show no envy towards public sector workers or their compensation. The have some things better-mostly the compensation and some things worse- time off. The all know that every job has trade offs.

Last time I looked none of you were banned from taking a government job or applying for one now.

Is it difficult going through life with a woe is me attitude that some other person may have something you do not?

Old 01-26-2014, 01:20 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,761,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
but one key point is that there are many more lower end workers out there than higher end ones. for every one of me/you, there are 20 of them. so the fact that we have an advantage is wonderful but we are in the small minority.
"One of me, there are 20 of them"

Care to support that statement with some facts?

Five myths about federal workers

"Approximately 20 percent of federal workers have a master's degree, professional degree or doctorate, vs. 13 percent in the private sector. Fifty-one percent of federal employees have at least a college degree, compared with 35 percent in the private sector."

Apparently NOT.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:51 PM

88,689 posts, read 85,015,124 times
I'm in the public sector, though I'm not supported by taxpayers. We haven't had raises in almost five years now. Our benefits have been cut. Those things are a direct result of politicians looking to score points with those of you who point to public sector workers as the root of all your problems so that they'll get your votes, and you fall for it every time, suckers.

No one I work with sits around doing nothing. If they do, they disappear, unless, of course, they are a political appointee. Then we just have to wait until the next election until they disappear. Despite making about 10% less than I used to, my hours are longer and I have more responsibility and a bigger workload. Every week I learn of another person leaving where I work to go to the private sector because there's nothing to look forward to where we are. There are executive positions that have been unfilled for good lengths of time because no one in their right mind would take those responsibilities for the salary that's being offered, and the jobs are temporarily filled by some lower-level employee who has to do the job and not be compensated for it. People used to spend their careers there, and now they leave after five or six years. The people who remember why something was done or the details of how it was done are gone and their long-term knowledge with them.

What's going to happen, IMO, is that what some of you so desperately want to believe is true about the public sector now WILL come true, especially as the economy recovers. The losers who can't find work elsewhere will take the jobs with the slashed benefits and the lower pay, and they just won't care.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
"One of me, there are 20 of them"

Care to support that statement with some facts?

Five myths about federal workers

"Approximately 20 percent of federal workers have a master's degree, professional degree or doctorate, vs. 13 percent in the private sector. Fifty-one percent of federal employees have at least a college degree, compared with 35 percent in the private sector."

Apparently NOT.
most jobs in the private sector wont just bump your pay up automatically because you got yourself masters degree. we shouldn't be employing people holding masters degrees in most government jobs where they have them. as a taxpayer, I don't want to pay for people who have masters degrees.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:59 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,230,469 times
Think of those public employees with a masters degree and proficient skills as those who have the generous heart to serve this country and help it succeed, not as people sucking dry taxpayer money. Learn to like your fellow people. Hatred among citizens on basis of the kind of jobs they are enrolled is likely leads to a crumbled society. Live and let live.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm in the public sector, though I'm not supported by taxpayers. We haven't had raises in almost five years now.
one thing you hear about it freezes in raises. does that mean nobody gets their pay raised or do people still get increases via some kind of "promotion" of some kind. I think for being employed a certain amount of time. I don't know the right terminology, hopefully you know what I mean.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
one thing you hear about it freezes in raises. does that mean nobody gets their pay raised or do people still get increases via some kind of "promotion" of some kind. I think for being employed a certain amount of time. I don't know the right terminology, hopefully you know what I mean.
People can get promotions (without quotation marks). If someone leaves and one moves into the higher-level position, they can get an increase, yes.

But in normal years, (pre-2009), employees would undergo reviews by their superior according to the system HR has in place, and depending upon how well they were rated according to their performance, they could get a raise of up to 3%. That's what it had been for the past few years, anyway. Most people got around 2.5%. Back in the 90s it was maybe 5% at times. You weren't guaranteed a raise, especially if you had a poor performance rating.

Managers still have to do the assessment and rating, but there is no budget for raises so no one gets any money.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:50 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,630,922 times
Captain you are generalizing again. Not all government jobs pay more for a masters degree.

The term you are looking for is step increases. Not all government employees get them. These are based on the compensation formula set by the Hay Group a private sector firm that set State salaries years ago. The steps were set so that a worker earned their way to what a job should pay. This was for State government but other government sectors may work their compensation differently.

The Hay Group looked at the duties and responsibilities of the job, the requirements etc and set a level of compensation.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
Captain you are generalizing again. Not all government jobs pay more for a masters degree.

The term you are looking for is step increases. Not all government employees get them. These are based on the compensation formula set by the Hay Group a private sector firm that set State salaries years ago. The steps were set so that a worker earned their way to what a job should pay. This was for State government but other government sectors may work their compensation differently.

The Hay Group looked at the duties and responsibilities of the job, the requirements etc and set a level of compensation.
Yes, we were set up by Hay back in 1989, but it wasn't the same system as the state. They just redid our structure and got rid of the old Hay system. Then HR ran around to all the offices and put a dog and pony show on explaining how the new structure would work. But when it was question time and it was asked if any raises would be forthcoming, the answer was "um...we don't know". So now staff have a new level system and in some cases new job titles, but nothing has changed except that some consulting firm just made a boatload of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey