Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2014, 06:14 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
I'm askin the questions here, lady.

Assume you're a Yahoo shareholder. The COO there worked 14 months, is being let go and may collect up to $60M in severance. Would that anger you or is it just the "wonders of capitalism"?

Golden parachute for fired Yahoo executive may be record breaker - Jan. 17, 2014
I find it harder to get angry about that since yahoo earns revenue while the government steals it.

for example, if the nursery school I pay privately to send my daughter to pays her teacher $1 million I would be very happy for her. I wouldn't pay a tuition to support that, but luckily the school doesn't have the power to force me to pay a high tuition to support whatever they wish to pay their employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 06:18 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,628,114 times
On the State level the employee compensation is a very small part of the overall State budget. As a % of the budget employee compensation makes up a much larger percentage of a local budget than it does a State budget.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:30 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,079,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
I find it harder to get angry about that since yahoo earns revenue while the government steals it.

for example, if the nursery school I pay privately to send my daughter to pays her teacher $1 million I would be very happy for her. I wouldn't pay a tuition to support that, but luckily the school doesn't have the power to force me to pay a high tuition to support whatever they wish to pay their employees.
Who cleans up Freedom Industries chemical spill? Who showed up and handed out thousands of gallons of water? Who monitors food, air & water so if something does happen you just don't go on drinking poison water like an idiot? The free market can never be trusted to put the public's interest over profits (see 2008 market crash) so strong regulation is always necessary

Old 01-20-2014, 08:17 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Who cleans up Freedom Industries chemical spill? Who showed up and handed out thousands of gallons of water? Who monitors food, air & water so if something does happen you just don't go on drinking poison water like an idiot? The free market can never be trusted to put the public's interest over profits (see 2008 market crash) so strong regulation is always necessary
I assume anybody showing up and doing those things did so because its their job. im not sure why you are asking those questions. so the guy who tests my drinking water should be paid $1 million a year?

Old 01-20-2014, 09:09 AM

2 posts, read 1,952 times
Assume you're a Yahoo shareholder. The COO there worked 14 months, is being let go and may collect up to $60M in severance. Would that anger you or is it just the "wonders of capitalism"?

Golden parachute for fired Yahoo executive may be record breaker - Jan. 17, 2014[/quote]

Trick question?

If I was a Yahoo shareholder over those 14 months (unfortunately, I was not) my investment would have more than doubled... so I guess I wouldn't care a whole lot.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
I assume anybody showing up and doing those things did so because its their job. im not sure why you are asking those questions. so the guy who tests my drinking water should be paid $1 million a year?
Whiff!

The point is the wingers dislike of govt and their goal of making it so small it's basically ineffective. Others contend that with a profit motive, companies like Freedom Industries (nice name btw) will always cut corners and not give a crap about polluting our drinking water. Obviously there's a fine line between over-regulating & efficient, right-size regulating. But I'm glad the gov't inspects food, air & water. Big business used to pollute at will and not care.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:12 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,411,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
Retriever some are. We get a lot of applications from people that work in retail and at small companies as well as military. We never get people from Fortune 500 or successful accounting, law or financial firms.
i have some friends from the big accounting firms who went to work in government entities....they did it for the lifestyle (a set schedule) and sacrificed the pay. don't get me wrong, the pay is decent. the growth opportunities just arent there and it's a modest pay cut. that's how it is for audit/accounting type roles at least. i've toyed with the idea, as i said. but i don't know. i'd love to get my wife to do it, but the pay cut is even greater for a pharmacist.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
I never said the private sector is bad. I admitted that the public employes many years ago gave up salary for benefits. But within the last 30 years, the public sector has caught up and in some cases passed the private sector in regard to salary and kept their benefits.
i'd say what really has happened is the private sector has eroded benefits even more, and in many cases, at lower level positions, wages have stayed stagnant. but don't pretend it's all peaches and cream for public sector. Pennsylvania state employees haven't gotten a raise since 2008.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:33 AM

Well here's where the State of NJ is full of BS. State employees took benefit cuts, contributed more for their own benefits with the state promising to kick in its share. So Christie hinted last week that the state was once again reneging on its promises. Just like previous governors have. Whether your private employer or the state lies to you, it's gotta **** you off.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
the like jobs thing doesn't work in your favor. you could have an office paper pusher in the private sector earning $11 an hour with no benefits and a high school degree where the similar paper pusher will have a college degree, earn $20 an hour and have health insurance and a pension. both doing the same job, but compensation is much better in the public sector. that's where the bulk of your workforce is and that's why you see as education level goes up, the government advantage is less. however, they are still ahead I believe in each category. people like yourself sometimes forget that for every one of you, there are 10 low income workers. now if you want to compare equal jobs to yours, you need to know where you stand in the private sector. is your compensation average for your job or are you on the higher end?
do you have a government job posting showing that? what's an "office paper pusher" job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey