Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2014, 07:41 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,636,030 times

Advertisements

What school is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 07:47 AM

Here are all the teachers in the State with that title.
One makes that It is also my understanding that as these teachers retire they are not replaced. I would put that on her district.

NJ Teacher Results

Old 01-19-2014, 07:54 AM

11,403 posts, read 16,804,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
What school is it?
She's on top of your list.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:05 AM

I saw that when I ran the list. As you can see there is a wide variation in what every district pays their teachers. How long you teach does not seem to matter. It matters which district you are in.

Does Old Bridge has much higher school taxes than Woodbridge?

Old 01-19-2014, 12:04 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,055,860 times
I live in Cranford…

Old 01-19-2014, 01:46 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,099,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
A gym teacher in the district of my town retired a few years ago, after working for about 30 years, with a salary of $110,000. I know this because I looked it up since these records are public. Then I looked up some other teachers' salaries, ones who I know have been teaching for a while, and I was floored. Am I the only one who thinks this is excessive and completely ridiculous? A GYM teacher?? This may sound controversial (my entire post actually ) but I think there should be a cap on things like this, either a required retirement age or no tenure (because some teachers who are tenured get lazy, I have seen it) or a tenure harder to achieve or a cap on salary, yes depending on subject or age taught, or not getting a raise every single year. This kind of stuff is out of control. I don't even want to know what the cops (and fireman) in my town make and what they retire with, considering I know how safe my town is and I know for a fact those cops have nothing to do a lot of the time other than aimlessly pulling people over and issuing tickets. Then there's the fact that we have local, some county, and state police. Many towns that definitely could consolidate departments to save money (and because in some areas, you really don't need that many cops and fireman to be honest) still have their own departments and units.

In 2010, teachers in my town were striking before school - yup, marching, holding signs, and everything. They refused to go in before school officially started to help kids, and refused to stay after 4:00, even if students needed help. Not one teacher showed up to graduation for the Class of 2010 as volunteers or to support the students, all because it wasn't required in their contracts - thy were rebelling and it was so unfair to the kids. They wore black on Fridays to "mourn their paychecks" and wore red on Wednesdays to "show their power". It was completely ridiculous. A circus. It's out of hand, and the union is too powerful. I remember hearing a teacher who called in to NJ 101.5 a few years ago complaining, I mean like the world just ended, that because of Christie, she had to pay something under $10 ($8 or $9 or something) for her prescriptions. She previously had to pay $2. The host laughed at her and disconnected her call. Unreal.

I understand that public/state employees like teachers and fireman (especially first responders) have difficult jobs requiring time and effort, if they do it right (lazy teachers, anyone? ), and they're only helping out the public, technically every day putting their lives on the line, but I think NJ takes it too far with benefits. I highly respect all of these professionals and appreciate what they do, don't be mistaken by my anger at the situation, and I know that individually none of them can be blamed for the precedents set years ago, but I think it's a real problem here that needs to be addressed. There's a reason our taxes are so high and other states' aren't, and we have these problems and others don't. We pay our teachers some of the highest salaries in the nation (I think 5th nationally?).

Sorry, I needed to rant. This stuff really grinds my gears, especially because I know many cops, fireman, and teachers (and I love them ALL) who love complaining about this stuff, while the non cops, firemen, and teachers all roll our eyes because we know the reality and aren't clouded by bias and, yes, greed.
Do you get this worked up when crummy CEOs that got gov't bailouts make 100X the avg. teacher?

Old 01-19-2014, 03:14 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,861,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Do you get this worked up when crummy CEOs that got gov't bailouts make 100X the avg. teacher?
its a sad/funny reality that they earned their compensation in part by getting the government to give them money.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its a sad/funny reality that they earned their compensation in part by getting the government to give them money.
HSBC laundered drug money. Paid 2 billion dollar fine and walked away. We'd be doing 40 yrs in the clink.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:16 AM

12,883 posts, read 14,055,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Sure?

Old 01-20-2014, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Sure?
I'm askin the questions here, lady.

Assume you're a Yahoo shareholder. The COO there worked 14 months, is being let go and may collect up to $60M in severance. Would that anger you or is it just the "wonders of capitalism"?

Golden parachute for fired Yahoo executive may be record breaker - Jan. 17, 2014
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey