Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 12:55 PM

13 posts, read 10,737 times

Advertisements

To make a long story short a couple of weeks ago a stray bullet came through my child's window as he lay sleeping. Thankfully he is alive and well. Thankfully I have the means to move.

My questions are: who is responsible? Is it the state or the county? Surely I should receive some sort of compensation for my immediate move as I am also breaking my lease. Despite the situation my landlord is unhappy and may sue for the remaining months. As a parent I have to do what's best. The bullet hole was 12 inches about the bed.

Can you give any further suggestions? I've contacted crime victims assistance and was told that unless this was directly related to me they may not be able too help. In other words, if my son was injured then they could help. I'm distraught and about to be financially drained. The stress is taking a toll.

I'm moving and there are costs associated with that. It's very expensive and I am also still responsible for the remainder of my lease. I cannot afford this.
Any ideas?? Who else can I contact?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 02:11 PM

23,561 posts, read 17,237,701 times
Where do you live.....hunters nearby or gangbangers?

Take photos! At least someone should be able to tell you the caliber.

In places like the centers of excellence for murder and violence in Nj the police may treat your situation the same as if someone stole the battery from your car.

Don't ponder who is responsible!!! Start local and work your way up. Let them figure it out. No response means they are stealing taxpayer money under the guise of protect and serve.

I would think whichever agency deals with gang violence would want to get that bullet to see if it matches up to other high priority crimes or unsolved robberies or shootings.

Maybe the bullet came from a crime that the cops don't yet know about or a higher priority case in your local. You can check if someone reported a gunshot to the cops that night..if indeed the bullet was discovered at the instant it hit your house.

Do your own investigating and call one of the 'network station crusaders to stir the pot if no one responds.

Good Luck!!!!

Old 01-16-2014, 02:19 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,667,293 times
Neither the city nor the state is going to give you monetary assistance towards breaking your lease or moving. You'll have to cover those charges yourself.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:56 PM

Of the agencies I contacted if I was single and receiving government assistance there would be aid available!! But since I am married and have a career we don't fit the criteria!!!

Old 01-16-2014, 03:42 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,667,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by completelyhis View Post
Of the agencies I contacted if I was single and receiving government assistance there would be aid available!! But since I am married and have a career we don't fit the criteria!!!
Financial Assistance to move because you feel unsafe? If you have a career and two incomes, of course you will be lower priority than someone who does not.

You need to find out if you can legally break your lease. Was the area you moved into unsafe to begin with? The Landlord may not be responsible for a stray bullet, if they have already taken regular and customary safety precautions on your unit.

First - I would call the local housing authority for advice on legally breaking your lease. If you do not legally break it, the landlord will be able to hold you liable for rent until they rerent the unit.

Second - it's doubtful you will find an agency that will give you money to move. Is that what you are looking for?

Old 01-16-2014, 04:39 PM

Financial assistance because I HAVE to move immediately and despite having two incomes it is very expensive. Financial assistance because that bullet could have stuck my son and not the wall and someone should be responsible! The county, the state... I should be able to feel safe where I live and I don't. My sons haven't slept in their room since. As anyone can imagine it's very unsettling.

Financial assistance because despite me moving for our safety, my landlord can still sue. I've contacted a few attorneys who stated that she is within her right however it all depends on the judge. So there'd goes a few more thousands dollars...

I know I am probably reaching but there are organizations for everything so why not something in place for this?? Why does a tragedy have to take place first?? As far as I'm concerned seeing that gullet hole (which by the way was a large caliber) was tragedy enough!

Old 01-16-2014, 04:41 PM

The area wasn't unsafe as any other area. If so I wasn't aware. I've never witnessed anything going on but as stated we are a working family. I got to work and come home and tend to my children and do the usual weekend things as others.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:51 PM

88,589 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Maybe just wait it out till your lease is up and take that time to plan and save. What are the chances that another bullet will get into your house?

Unfortunately, we get no guarantee of complete safety in life. View this as a wake-up call that maybe your neighborhood is changing, and do what you have to do to make a change. Good luck.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:34 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,659,259 times
If you were so concerned then just break your lease and move rather then wasting time on forums trying to get some " financial money " .

I mean that's what I would do if I was that concerned.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:37 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,045,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by completelyhis View Post
Financial assistance because I HAVE to move immediately and despite having two incomes it is very expensive. Financial assistance because that bullet could have stuck my son and not the wall and someone should be responsible! The county, the state... I should be able to feel safe where I live and I don't. My sons haven't slept in their room since. As anyone can imagine it's very unsettling.

Financial assistance because despite me moving for our safety, my landlord can still sue. I've contacted a few attorneys who stated that she is within her right however it all depends on the judge. So there'd goes a few more thousands dollars...

I know I am probably reaching but there are organizations for everything so why not something in place for this?? Why does a tragedy have to take place first?? As far as I'm concerned seeing that gullet hole (which by the way was a large caliber) was tragedy enough!
You are approaching this as if someone is owing you something. Reality is, no one owes you anything in life. The situations you face are yours to deal with.

Yes, a sudden move is going to be expensive. But that is your decision. It is not as if the town council has condemned your property and is forcing you out or your landlord is trying to force you out. This decision you are making on your own.

Without question the shock of any violent action that is within your home, especially one that comes close to your sleeping son is unnerving. But to expect society to pay for this voluntary action on your part is unreasonable. You need to make the decision, as noted above, if this is a one-time occurrence or is your neighborhood changing. If the former, settle down to the realization that this random occurrence has already taken place. If the latter, sit down with your significant other and determine how you want to approach this situation, taking into account how breaking the lease can harm you long-term.

When is the lease up? Are you and the landlord on good speaking terms? If yes, are you able to discuss this situation with her? If you are not, why not? Was it an action or actions, or failure to act on her part?

Where are you moving to? Making the snap decision to run away, as you are now, is usually even more unhealthy than remaining where you are and making rational decisions. What do you know about the schools in the new area for your son? What about the commutes for you and your significant other? Will either significantly impact your household budget?

Before you go jumping because of emotion, stop. Think about what you are doing and how it is going to affect you, your son, your significant other, and your family. Ultimately, as your username states. You are "completelyhis." So put this matter into God's hands and ask for his help to be calm and rational in your thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey