Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 07:33 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times

Advertisements

I'm off today and unfortunately have some time on my hands, I live next to a grammar school and I was amazed at the amount of SUVs dropping one child off to attend school. Hummers 3 or 4, suburbans double digits, tahoes double digits, excursions about 5 or 6. I don't want to sound sexist but why does a young lady or woman need to drop off little Johnny or Allison in a 8,000 pound truck. And yes I did see one guy with a hummer. These people to me seem like that they like to show off there ride. I doubt that they are headed to a construction site to pull a trailer or that they are headed to Iraq with the hummer. Our troops drive them vehicles in combat. The governor and president travel in them. GIVE ME A BREAK. Well it can't be that they are easy to park at the mall, they don't fit into the parking spots. Forget about even attempting to park them in a city . Oh it most be the great gas mileage. I guess its a Jersey thing Mcmansions and SUVs. I own a Corolla and if I was able to afford a oversized SUV IMHO its impractical and foolish. Its a personal opinion so don't bite to hard.LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 07:38 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,671,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I own a Corolla and if I was able to afford a oversized SUV IMHO its impractical and foolish. Its a personal opinion so don't bite to hard.LOL
+1. While I own a truck, I mostly commute by train, and never drive. When I do use my pickup (not really a status symbol, just a big truck), I typically use it to.... you guessed it, pick things up.

I have considered buying a mid-size car again, perhaps a Mercedes diesel. Not because I want to say "I have a Mercedes", but because their diesels are AMAZING vehicles. Never had a problem with any of mine, even when I got to a few hundred thousand miles on each. Unfortunately, I'm sure something like that is *not* the reason someone went out to buy a Hummer or similar. To each their own...

Old 10-10-2007, 07:39 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Don't know....I live up in the hilly north country where we do get snow in the winter, I also commute on I80 in the am & pm so I don't think I'd feel to safe in a mini cooper so I do have an SUV but it's a Jeep Laredo....they are only mid size

Old 10-10-2007, 07:40 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,838 times
It's not a jersey thing, unfortunately. You see this in many places in the U.S. When you get close to any large urban area especially. These type of posts are showing up all over the forum this week. Most of them could go in general. They are not necessarily specific to one state.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:43 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,718,142 times
Ever consider that they have more than 1 kid and need a big vehicle for the vacations, running errands and so on and so forth? My sis owns a Lincoln Navigator and when both kids are in there with all the luggage and my bro-in-laws golf clubs, that big truck gets maxed out quickly.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:44 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,718,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
It's not a jersey thing, unfortunately. You see this in many places in the U.S. When you get close to any large urban area especially. These type of posts are showing up all over the forum this week. Most of them could go in general. They are not necessarily specific to one state.
LOL most of them could go in the trash. Who are we to judge on what people drive? You want to spend 60K on an Escalade? Go for it! This is capitalistic society, and people are free to do what they please.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:50 AM

I don't even drive currently.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:00 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
I don't know about that Cyntmac. I live in New Mexico, and we don't have nearly the number of these vehicles here. There is arguably a greater need for them, since we have a higher % of unpaved roads.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:06 AM

New Mexico is not exactly urban. I think when you are in urban states you will notice the trend. It is not just the northeast U.S. or NJ.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:07 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I don't know about that Cyntmac. I live in New Mexico, and we don't have nearly the number of these vehicles here. There is arguably a greater need for them, since we have a higher % of unpaved roads.

More then likely because many in NM don't have the income to afford them
Exactly how much does a Hummer start at...and they are ugly to boot imo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: