Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 03:37 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
No one says we're #1. Saying we're among the best and #1 aren't the same thing. It's hard to evaluate which state has the best public schools, anyway. All you can say is who is better than who else, and more often than not it comes down to being town by town. And public schools is a different topic than what we are discussing right here. Performance of public schools/our own universities and having the highest educated residents are not the same thing. Either way, we're up there in both so I don't know what you're going on about.

You just have a chip on your shoulder regarding NJ, it comes out in various threads. What happened to you here? What bad experience did you have?
...Not really. I mean top 5, wonderful, great, amazing. But how much do residents pay in property taxes to get to that top 5 rating? Not sure if it's worth it there.

It's just harder and more of a PITA to live in NJ over a lot of other places. That's why I like coming back to visit, but after a few days I'm ready to jet out again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 03:42 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
...Not really. I mean top 5, wonderful, great, amazing. But how much do residents pay in property taxes to get to that top 5 rating? Not sure if it's worth it there.

It's just harder and more of a PITA to live in NJ over a lot of other places. That's why I like coming back to visit, but after a few days I'm ready to jet out again.
It is wonderful, great, and amazing. It must draw people to this state - I mean SOMETHING does considering our high population for our small size and the fact that we have the highest density - THAT we're #1 in but I'm sure you'll find some way to twist that or make it negative, too. Let me see, here's an answer to what I know will be the critique - yes, we have areas of extremely high density and are overall the densest but we also have extremely rural areas where you will quite frankly sometimes feel as if you're in the middle of Alabama. We have farms, country roads, and areas of very low density, as well. We are a mix of dense and urban and quiet and rural, mountainous, forest-y, or beach-y, and pretty much whatever else minus desert (and I'm not complaining we don't have a desert, trust me).

How much do we pay in property taxes to get in the top 5 rating of highest educated residents (you know, the current topic at hand)? Um, nothing…

Old 05-08-2014, 05:33 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times
Freshflakes must be one miserable person .

I am actually a little heartbroken on leaving NJ for graduate school, but its the choice which will benefit me the most. I do want to come back here however. If I find a reasonable and interesting job in NJ after grad school, there is nothing preventing me from coming back here besides a more interesting job offer.

My understanding and experiences in America Started upon jersey soil. This experience will be forever ingrained in my heart.

On a side note: Orange, Rockland, and Sullivan counties in NY should belong to NJ.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:39 PM

"It must draw people to this state - I mean SOMETHING does considering our high population for our small size and the fact that we have the highest density - THAT we're #1"

Can New Jersey Keep Its Rich Taxpayers From Fleeing? - Forbes

^ Remember this article?

Old 05-08-2014, 06:41 PM

622 posts, read 949,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
Interesting idea — but South Jersey is much more PA-centric than it is DE aware. My question would be why Delaware should not be a part of Maryland, but I'll leave that for DE/MD residents to hash out in their respective forums.
Delaware has one of the smallest populations in the US and Delaware is the 2nd smallest state in the US so I think it makes more sense for Southern New Jersey to become part of Delaware rather than Pennsylvania. That will increase population from only 897,934 people to about 3,319,975 people. Maybe Delaware could also take over Philadelphia County and Delaware County from PA as well. That will increase population even more to 5,404,960 people. I think Delaware should not be part of Maryland and instead have Delaware take over Southern NJ.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
"It must draw people to this state - I mean SOMETHING does considering our high population for our small size and the fact that we have the highest density - THAT we're #1"

Can New Jersey Keep Its Rich Taxpayers From Fleeing? - Forbes

^ Remember this article?
Sure. Doesn't change the fact that a lot of people still live here for our size and we're the densest - meaning a lot of people live here.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
Delaware has one of the smallest populations in the US and Delaware is the 2nd smallest state in the US so I think it makes more sense for Southern New Jersey to become part of Delaware rather than Pennsylvania. That will increase population from only 897,934 people to about 3,319,975 people. Maybe Delaware could also take over Philadelphia County and Delaware County from PA as well. That will increase population even more to 5,404,960 people. I think Delaware should not be part of Maryland and instead have Delaware take over Southern NJ.
Why do you think it should be Delaware takes us and not the opposite? New Jersey is a much more prominent and known state than Delaware. We're popular in pop culture (though usually negatively - still, we're relevant) and our Jersey Shore is internationally known, at least by name (and was before the show ) - Atlantic City and Cape May are two examples. Delaware taking NJ would diminish NJ's characteristics and do what for Delaware?… It'd still be Delaware. NJ taking Delaware would add to our coastline, and that's about it. I really have nothing against Delaware at all, it's a nice little state, but you can't deny we're more well-known than them (I hate to say 'relevant' but as far as culture goes we kind of are…). IF it were possible to annex states, Delaware should become part of NJ, not the opposite. New Jersey shouldn't be lost. We have a well enough known culture and identity to just disappear like it's nothing. Just my opinion on a debate that doesn't even matter because it's barely possible and will never happen.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:38 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times
We were actually forced to give up a part of NY state in the late 18th century. Let's reclaim that back first.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:43 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
Quote:
Again, NJ is not #1 in ANY of these surveys. Most educated state? I think not.

Who said #1? Being top 5 or so in multiple measures is extremely strong and supports the claim that was made.

BTW, I didn' notice CA at the top either.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Who said #1? Being top 5 or so in multiple measures is extremely strong and supports the claim that was made.

BTW, I didn' notice CA at the top either.
CA has a lot more people and is a bigger state. Not comparable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey