Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 07:21 PM

550 posts, read 966,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrjersey View Post
I think this scenario is a lot different and I can speak from personal experience. You're right though, technically it was none of the woman's business, I just believe that being rude back doesn't serve a purpose, but you have your way of dealing with it and I have mine
To the lady's defense, though, she probably had every good intention when she made her comment. So I can't really say that she really meant to be rude.

Then again, we're in NJ. We're all supposed to be rude, so who knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 08:04 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
Been there done that. When I tell them I'm from Japan, they say "oh I never would've thought that".

I was at a Korean dry cleaner one time in Edgewater and the lady says to me:"you look like Lou diamond Philips"

Can't make this stuff up...

If you see an Asian guy that looks like Lou diamond Philips in Wyckoff, stop and say hello.
My mother lives in Midland Park near the Wyckoff border so I'm there fairly often. If a 6'1" tall white woman walks up to you and says, "Are you Ivan Putski?", it might be me.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:20 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,046,809 times
I would have done along the lines your wife did. Even if I felt the racist twinge, & I wouldn't have gone there first reaction. I know a lot of people wouldn't agree with me, and would speak out, or up, or something like that - righteous indignation. I want/choose to believe that the more patient people they run into who are different from them in some way, then it's one more little drip wearing down the rock & changes minds. Could be wrong- - -

I'd never ask a total stranger something like that, thinking it's rude, but I seldom respond in kind unless I'm having a truly bad day.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:53 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
People say My Son looks just like me,

I just smile and nod...

I adopted my son from fostercare when he was 10...

Old 07-30-2014, 02:46 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,152,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My mother lives in Midland Park near the Wyckoff border so I'm there fairly often. If a 6'1" tall white woman walks up to you and says, "Are you Ivan Putski?", it might be me.
I'll be ready. Though it would be pretty funny to see the look you get from an Asian guy (not me) if his name was Ivan Putski (formerly known as the Polish hammer, a popular WWF wrestler from the 80's). He'll probably walk away thinking you're nuts .

Old 07-30-2014, 05:09 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
I'll be ready. Though it would be pretty funny to see the look you get from an Asian guy (not me) if his name was Ivan Putski (formerly known as the Polish hammer, a popular WWF wrestler from the 80's). He'll probably walk away thinking you're nuts .
Life's all about taking risks. Lol. But are there TWO Asians guys in Wyckoff who look like Lou Diamond Phillips?

Old 07-30-2014, 06:03 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It is not about being offended.

Whether or not you are offended, the basis of the question is racist.

The fact it wouldn't even enter her head that this woman could be married to an Asian guy proof enough.

If *I* saw a white lady with an asian-looking baby/child, it would in fact be my FIRST thought that her spouse was Asian.
My next thought would be nothing as none of this is any of my gd business.
She's 85 years old, marriages of different races, hell even different religions were almost unheard of in her day..
o/p wife wasn't offended so why are you jumping on the self righteous soap box?

Old 07-30-2014, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Life's all about taking risks. Lol. But are there TWO Asians guys in Wyckoff who look like Lou Diamond Phillips?
Good point. There's a guy on this board who once said there are only 2 or 3 Asians in Wyckoff and I joked that I was one of them so the odds are in your favor!

Something tells me we both know the same people from Midland Park (grew up in MP back in late 80s/90s).

Old 07-30-2014, 06:13 AM

477 posts, read 801,039 times
Quote:
Probably not a NJ section topic but I primarily post here so here goes:

I'm asian and my wife is caucasian. We recently had our 1st child 8 weeks ago and as you can imagine, he looks slightly asian and well, slightly caucasian.

So my wife is at CVS this morning picking up a few things up here in north jersey (Wyckoff to be exact) and an elderly lady walks up to her and says "Your baby is very cute and exotic looking. Where did you adopt him from?". My wife, without taking any offense, went on to explain that her husband is asian and she in fact is the biological mother. Other customers in the store listening to this just shook their heads/rolled their eyes in disbelief that this lady would ask something like this.

I personally thought it was funny when my wife called to tell me about it and she thought it was amusing (I've been asked at a supermarket where one can find a bottle of soy sauce so this is nothing - again in north jersey - I told her I didn't know and she walked away shaking her head).

Question is, would you CD folks react the same way my wife did or would you have been offended? If so, what would you have said?
I wouldn't have been offended, because most Asian babies in America are adopted unless you're talking about somewhere like CA where there are a lot of Asians. Also, most mixed Asian people are usually Asian from the mom. You know the mail order bride with white old guy type. I would have assumed she adopted the baby. I wouldn't have said any thing, though. Wife shouldn't be offended. I don't get men or women like this. Even if you're the same race, if you pick a partner that looks different your baby might not look like you. Be mad at yourself.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smommaof3 View Post
I wouldn't have been offended, because most Asian babies in America are adopted unless you're talking about somewhere like CA where there are a lot of Asians. Also, most mixed Asian people are usually Asian from the mom. You know the mail order bride with white old guy type. I would have assumed she adopted the baby. I wouldn't have said any thing, though. Wife shouldn't be offended. I don't get men or women like this. Even if you're the same race, if you pick a partner that looks different your baby might not look like you. Be mad at yourself.
Wow... You're certainly entitled to your opinion but you're making some serious assumptions here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey