Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 02:50 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
I think this is overreacting a little, maybe because I get asked sometimes and it doesn't bother me at all. The OP's wife wasn't offended. I guess It could be offensive, depending on how the lady said it, but given that she was older and living in a majority white area I believe I'd give her the benefit of the doubt. She did compliment the baby after all.
It is not about being offended.

Whether or not you are offended, the basis of the question is racist.

The fact it wouldn't even enter her head that this woman could be married to an Asian guy proof enough.

If *I* saw a white lady with an asian-looking baby/child, it would in fact be my FIRST thought that her spouse was Asian.
My next thought would be nothing as none of this is any of my gd business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 03:04 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It is not about being offended.

Whether or not you are offended, the basis of the question is racist.

The fact it wouldn't even enter her head that this woman could be married to an Asian guy proof enough.

If *I* saw a white lady with an asian-looking baby/child, it would in fact be my FIRST thought that her spouse was Asian.
My next thought would be nothing as none of this is any of my gd business.
well look at you sooooo enlightened. id probably assume adopted also. is it racist or is it just guessing the most likely reason for a white person to have an asian child?

i think its racist if you find out the kid's father is asian and it bothers you. otherwise, its just a guess.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:07 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,254,231 times
Maybe it's racist but I've been asked about my ethnicity by non whites. The whole world is racist to some degree.

I just don't see how getting upset about your ethnicity matters unless you were actually discriminated against. My family got turned away at a korean restaurant because my dad is white. Was that racist? Yes. Was what my mom said to the guy who turned us away racist too? Yes.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
well look at you sooooo enlightened. id probably assume adopted also. is it racist or is it just guessing the most likely reason for a white person to have an asian child?

i think its racist if you find out the kid's father is asian and it bothers you. otherwise, its just a guess.
Not enlightened.

An Asian tired of being asked obviously racist crap all the time.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:10 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,079,510 times
My wife is dark-skinned from S. America and my kids are "white" She used to get asked all the time at the Duck Pond in Ridgewood or Saddle River Park in Glen Rock if "the children were hers" or if she was the nanny. She normally was nice about it like the OPs wife. But one time she didn't like the tone of a woman's voice and said "i stole them!" and walked away.

It's always women asking because men frankly don't really give a sh#t.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:13 PM

We are all racist in our own way.

Some of us just keep our mouths shut about it.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:31 PM

550 posts, read 966,376 times
We're mixed (Asian and Caucasian) as well. So many people have told me that our son looks "exactly like" me. Not sure "exactly" what that means, but I always respond with, "Yes, he will one day thank me for having inherited my strikingly handsome looks."

We once stayed over in a motel off of 80 in PA on our way out to Michigan, when an older gentleman saw our family, looked at me, and asked, "Where are you from?"

I responded with, "We're from NJ, on our way to Michigan."

He then looks at me intently and says, "No, I mean...w h e r e a r e y o u f r o o o o m ? China? Koooorea?"

Moments like these amuse me.

(Ivan, I did you a favor by incorporating NJ into this response so the thread can stay in the NJ section.)

Old 07-29-2014, 03:32 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,899,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
My wife is dark-skinned from S. America and my kids are "white" She used to get asked all the time at the Duck Pond in Ridgewood or Saddle River Park in Glen Rock if "the children were hers" or if she was the nanny. She normally was nice about it like the OPs wife. But one time she didn't like the tone of a woman's voice and said "i stole them!" and walked away.

It's always women asking because men frankly don't really give a sh#t.
OK, asking if she's the "nanny" is just rude. But to the OP's point, the woman was being nosy but I don't think it is always meant to be racist. It's natural to look and wonder and there's nothing offensive about being adopted. There are plenty of kids that are. I wouldn't have been offended by the question, but I really don't think you should ask something like that of a stranger because I really don't think a child's parentage is anyone's business.

That said, I would have answered the question and moved on. There's too many things in this world to be truly annoyed at, I don't think this is one of them.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:10 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,456,370 times
I think one of my friends had the best response to such inquiries. She is blonde, blue eyed, and very fair skinned and her hubby is originally from Kenya. When her oldest was young, some 20+ yrs ago, my friend was always being asked if the baby "was hers, or was adopted." Without hesitation she always respond, that yes "I gave birth to the baby, there was a mistake at the sperm bank, and well what could I do?" Which always resulted in people being stunned into silence and quickly scurrying away. She felt that if people were going to be so rude, she would embarrass them no end.

KoalaNJ

Old 07-29-2014, 04:11 PM

1,562 posts, read 2,155,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
oh come on, you knew where the soy sauce was!
Hahaha my friends love this story. She started by asking "you're oriental right?" I said "yeah..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey