Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 09:59 AM

53 posts, read 422,559 times

Advertisements

I'm a first time buyer looking to get a town house soon in Mount Laurel or Delran. My realtor recc. an attorney. I called him up and he charges a flat $800 fee. I'm originally from IL and the fee is usually more like $300 or so. I know things in NJ are different so I'm wondering what the average fee is for a buyer around here. Also, I'd appreciate any attorney recommendations.

Looking forward, if anyone has any home inspectors or good mortgage companies I'd appreciate recommendations there too.

Also average closing costs. It seems that title insurance and closing costs is more around here too. However these costs might just be higher in general now, its been a few years since I've looked into these costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 10:54 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,515,735 times
I'll say the same thing I tell everyone else. Don't hire a lawyer until you need one. It is not required - especially for a townhouse. A lawyer is a waste of money for a condo/townhome. If you have a dispute over an inspection issue or some other issue with the seller that's different. If you hire one, expect to pay $600-$800. You can try Bill Sagrow in South Jersey. I don't have his number, ask your agent, he is well known.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:20 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
I agree. We just moved to jersey and did not want or need a lawyer. Deal with a reputable mortgage and Realtor and you're golden..

Old 09-02-2009, 11:31 AM

140 posts, read 535,812 times
I'm a first time homebuyer too. And I used my realtor's real estate attorney which is a flat fee of $950, but he's in Northern NJ. My realtor stated it's mandatory to have a real estate attorney, especially when dealing with townhomes.

I found a great home inspector who does all of NJ, he charges approx. $385. Here's his website: Family Building Inspectors - East Brunswick, NJ - Home (http://www.familybuildinginspectors.com/home/ - broken link) He inspected the home in an hour and the report was ready 1 hour later which he e-mailed.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:55 AM

18 posts, read 26,111 times
Virtually all real estate transactions in North Jersey involve an attorney. In South Jersey far less than half do. Most in South Jersey charge in the $700-800 range - North Jersey is more. If your agent recommended that you use an attorney the reason could be specific to your situation. As long as you use a REAL ESTATE attorney that practices for the most part in South Jersey (Mt Laurel and Delran are in South Jersey) you should be in good shape.

Moderator cut: no signatures

Last edited by tahiti; 09-02-2009 at 12:26 PM..

Old 09-02-2009, 11:57 AM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
I've recounted this story once before, but when I bought in Southern NJ, and said to the realtor that I was going to bring my attorney with me, they were outright offended. The realtor, Prudential Fox Roach, said quote "Once you get south of Trenton, we do things differently in the real estate business here. Our contracts are good and sound. You don't need an attorney present."

Old 09-02-2009, 12:04 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,689,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandy76 View Post
I'm a first time homebuyer too. And I used my realtor's real estate attorney which is a flat fee of $950, but he's in Northern NJ. My realtor stated it's mandatory to have a real estate attorney, especially when dealing with townhomes.

I found a great home inspector who does all of NJ, he charges approx. $385. Here's his website: Family Building Inspectors - East Brunswick, NJ - Home (http://www.familybuildinginspectors.com/home/ - broken link) He inspected the home in an hour and the report was ready 1 hour later which he e-mailed.
What was the inspector's name? I only ask because there were complaints on C-D about a home inspector out of East Brunswick that there were issues with.

Plus, one hour for an inspection seems very short. An inspection is one thing you WANT them to take their time on.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I've recounted this story once before, but when I bought in Southern NJ, and said to the realtor that I was going to bring my attorney with me, they were outright offended. The realtor, Prudential Fox Roach, said quote "Once you get south of Trenton, we do things differently in the real estate business here. Our contracts are good and sound. You don't need an attorney present."
The people I bought my house from weren't even at closing. Nor were either agent. it was basically myself, my wife, my lawyer, and their lawyer.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:15 PM

140 posts, read 535,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
What was the inspector's name? I only ask because there were complaints on C-D about a home inspector out of East Brunswick that there were issues with.

Plus, one hour for an inspection seems very short. An inspection is one thing you WANT them to take their time on.
His name is Robert Hahn. He said my inspection was very quick since it's only a 6yr old townhome. He talked about his new equipment that enables him to perform some action in half the time. He did find some minor issues but that was with the outside of the unit. He seemed very thorough too me, but I'm no expert LOL

Old 09-02-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandy76 View Post
His name is Robert Hahn. He said my inspection was very quick since it's only a 6yr old townhome. He talked about his new equipment that enables him to perform some action in half the time. He did find some minor issues but that was with the outside of the unit. He seemed very thorough too me, but I'm no expert LOL
Thought so - this thread has several damning complaints against him:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...t-windsor.html

Long story short - if several people are saying that your home inspector worked quickly and was "in and out" - that's a bad thing.

You want your home inspector to be a stickler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey